Can the Empire truly be redeemed?

Xilizhra

This is true. that works for the Empire as a whole, but can't happen if the Sith don't play along.

Anyways, this is sort of bunny trailing off into completely unrelated topics. Sort of like your last Kaggath Beni. Did you ever call that? I can't seem to recall a victor.

I did in the end, here is a link if your interested.

I'm planning on tallying as I go along next time so the next result should be called a lot faster. Which has started.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did in the end, here is a link if your interested.

I'm planning on tallying as I go along next time so the next result should be called a lot faster. Which has started.

Thanks for the link, my money is on the Sol'yc Empire. Although its hard to tell who the victor will be this early into the debate.

I think its time to close this discussion up. I'm in agreement with Beni that the Empire can change, but there must be restraint and patience shown on the part of the Republic.

The problem with the Empire being reformed is not the Dark Side, it's not the Emperor, and it isn't the Sith. We know Jedi have used the Dark Side to the benefit of the galaxy before (see Jolee Bindo, grey Jedi, through granted not totally Dark) so it absolutely is not a TOTALLY corrupting influence. The problem is with the reasons people have for following the Dark Side in the first place, and with the refusal of Sith to compromise and use both to mitigate what corrupting influence there is.

My Sorc, for example, never wielded the Dark Side for herself, she used it to help her people. Her passion was for protecting Imperials and the Empire. Normally, however, Sith use the Dark Side to make THEMSELVES stronger, and for no real other reason, leading them to lose sight of all else and leading to the horrid power struggles we see in the Empire. Very few Sith who use only the Dark Side, and even less Sith who use the Dark Side in their own name, will ever be capable of holding an Empire together. Rather, they've become the force of entropy the first line of the Sith code (Peace is a lie) references in the first place.

In my opinion, then, yes, the Empire can be reformed, even without tearing apart any infrastructure (aside from removing the Emperor, who's horrible.) It would be difficult to do, simply because such change would be hard to implement, but training in the Light as well on Korriban before being allowed to be called Sith would be a good start, and would go a long way toward mitigating the impatience and selfishness that plagues the Empire. From that one reform alone I think the Empire would become a much more functional society, without needing to remove Sith from the top of the hierarchy.

The problem with both the Empire and the Republic is their dualistic view of the Force. The Jedi serve a corrupt senate because they think to take charge and do things on their own will would be an act of arrogance (and it would be,) but without that act of arrogance they serve a Senate that's corrupt to the core, the result of which is the most powerful defenders of the galaxy end up being government lapdogs instead. Not to mention the sheer unwillingness to act at all that plagues so many Jedi (see the Mandalorian Wars.) The horrid dispassion caused by solely wielding the Light is the cause of this. The Sith serve whoever they please, including only themselves, the result of which is the exact opposite of the Jedi. They're loud, rude, cruel and act fast and without thought. The insane emotional upheavals caused by solely wielding the Dark is the cause of this.

Between Jedi and Sith, I'd say Sith philosophy ALLOWS for a better galaxy, (because Jedi don't act when they need to, while Sith act quickly and decisively,) which is why I back the Empire, but the problem is the Siths passions tend to lead to selfish ******es becoming the most powerful. I think if the Force were taught as a whole, rather than as Dark and Light, this would no longer be the case. Neither the fools like Yoda who refuse to act, nor the fools like Darth Vitiate who cares only about his own immortality to the detriment of literally everything else, would rise very far in a Sith Empire that favored Dark and Light. Only those with the ability to straddle power and patience would become powerful, and as a result the Empire would thrive where the Republic eventually stagnates and dies from the corruption born in the Senate. All we need is Sith trained to see the big picture instead of only their own part, who's passion is to raise up the Empire and its citizens rather than themselves, and the Empire would become the most powerful and, in my opinion, probably least despotic government in the history of the galaxy.