Some roleplay-related suggestions

Mevanna

Well, the title says it all. Putting together a little list of things that would really help the more RP-focused players.

Feel free to add anything you have.

1 - Cross-faction emotes.

It is just a bit silly that everyone around, regardless of faction, can hear what you say (/say) but at the same time they apparently cannot hear you when you shout (/yell) or see what you are doing (/em). It's just... weird. As a bonus, cross-faction whispers would also be great.

2 - Blank phases

While I doubt anyone will consider it worth the effort of making - what we could really use would be for phases from quests or flashpoints to be available to enter without the corresponding quest, calling up a blank, npc-free version of that instance. The lack of such a feature locks people out of some amazing roleplay locations.

3 - Hood toggling

Turning hoods on chestpieces on and off is actually possible - there are some Jedi headbands that do it. There used to be a fair number that did, but it seems to have been reduced to just one specific one. I think everyone could benefit if the hoods on things could simply be toggled on and off with a button.

4 - Equipping non-useable weapons

Because in RP characters occasionally wield something their class cannot use, and we have to compensate for that by making multiple versions of each character just so they can run around with different weapons. It would help if non-usable weapons could still be equipped, without giving any stats, just so they are visually worn. The same goes for un-equippable armour.

And some other smaller things that don't really need a separate big point:

A /meditate emote that actually makes you meditate.

Making dyes available in Collections - roleplayers just use cosmetic items in larger quantities.

That's all I can recall for now, though there is probably loads more that I forgot. Anyway, it's a start, and I'm sure others will have things to add.

5. Textbubbles. Please. Give us textbubbles. IT REALLY helps in RP to see who's saying what, and where they are as opposed to you. /s textbubbles -really- is something you need in RP, any other MMO has them. I've missed this feature from day one.

6. Guild ships. What's more awesome than having an actual ship for your guild to call home?

Edited by Warlordalexi

The only suggestion of any value in the first two posts is the one about instances, so people can go someplace to RP without being griefed. The rest, if someone can't RP fully without that stuff, they're not really RPers, they're wannabe Second Lifers. And guild ships and cross-faction emotes have nothing whatsoever to do with RP. Edited by branmakmuffin

The only suggestion of any value in the first two posts is the one about instances, so people can go someplace to RP without being griefed. The rest, if someone can't RP fully without that stuff, they're not really RPers, they're wannabe Second Lifers. And guild ships and cross-faction emotes have nothing whatsoever to do with RP.

How? What else would you use cross faction emotes for, other than for Role Playing? You can't use it for PvP, really, and you don't PvE with cross faction players at all, really.

Guild ships. The only other thing I can see this being used for -besides- Role Playing is just a place for guild meetings, a place to go idle, or to look at the GTN, which you can do all that on your personal ship. Your statement is invalid.

PS, I would LOVE Guild ships. I want one so bad.

The only suggestion of any value in the first two posts is the one about instances, so people can go someplace to RP without being griefed. The rest, if someone can't RP fully without that stuff, they're not really RPers, they're wannabe Second Lifers. And guild ships and cross-faction emotes have nothing whatsoever to do with RP.

Well aren't you just a ray of bloody sunshine. Not once was there said that the above suggestions were something NEEDED in order to RP - it would just be a cool feature / added luxury that would make RP'ing just a little easier for some.

And while you might find people using RP as a "second life" of lower standing than other RP'ers and think it's something to be used as an offensive statement, I quite find those capable of actually being so much in touch with their characters that it IS a "second life" to them to be worthy only of respect and admiration.

In short; You're a dick.

As for the above suggestions,

Text Bubbles = Yes please!

And the NPC-free quest instances idea would be incredibly awesome as, like you said, it would open up some really exciting and incredible RP locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding a few things as I remember them:

-> Human customization options

Because why can every other species unlock all their appearance options across all classes when they hit 50, but humans can't? It does make it rather hard to create multiple versions of one character for various cross-faction things.

-> A lying-down emote.

Because the best substitute we have is that strange sitting animation.

Well aren't you just a ray of bloody sunshine. Not once was there said that the above suggestions were something NEEDED in order to RP - it would just be a cool feature / added luxury that would make RP'ing just a little easier for some.

They are completely and totally unnecessary, i.e., not worth the development effort.

And while you might find people using RP as a "second life" of lower standing than other RP'ers and think it's something to be used as an offensive statement, I quite find those capable of actually being so much in touch with their characters that it IS a "second life" to them to be worthy only of respect and admiration.

No, someone who claims that fancy emotes, chat bubbles, etc., improve their RP is not in touch with their character, they are in touch with their characters' avatar. Big difference. Remember, RP is in the imagination, not the pixels. Relying on the pixels = "weak RPer."

In short; You're a dick.

The fact that you have to resort to name-calling doesn't really bolster your position, now, does it?

Look, we get that you're feeling entitled and judgmental here, but considering that you are posting here, you yourself are roleplaying in an MMO rather than a purely text-based medium, making you something of a hypocrite.

Kindly take your non-constructive comments elsewhere instead of trying to derail this thread by deliberately starting a flame-war.

1 - Cross-faction emotes.

It is just a bit silly that everyone around, regardless of faction, can hear what you say (/say) but at the same time they apparently cannot hear you when you shout (/yell) or see what you are doing (/em). It's just... weird. As a bonus, cross-faction whispers would also be great.

Fair enough, but limited emotes, some of them are asking for trouble.

2 - Blank phases

While I doubt anyone will consider it worth the effort of making - what we could really use would be for phases from quests or flashpoints to be available to enter without the corresponding quest, calling up a blank, npc-free version of that instance. The lack of such a feature locks people out of some amazing roleplay locations.

Limited use, but micro RP area's could theoretically be done, but full instances would be a drain on servers.

3 - Hood toggling

Turning hoods on chestpieces on and off is actually possible - there are some Jedi headbands that do it. There used to be a fair number that did, but it seems to have been reduced to just one specific one. I think everyone could benefit if the hoods on things could simply be toggled on and off with a button.

Apparently there is some problem with this, because if they could do it, they would, believe me it would do away with about thirty threads per month, and make people happy.

4 - Equipping non-useable weapons

Because in RP characters occasionally wield something their class cannot use, and we have to compensate for that by making multiple versions of each character just so they can run around with different weapons. It would help if non-usable weapons could still be equipped, without giving any stats, just so they are visually worn. The same goes for un-equippable armour.

They won't do this, because non-RPers will complain that they thought that because they could equip armour they gained it's stats, and they died because of this (now imagine it in angry, rude, abusive language)

5. Textbubbles. Please. Give us textbubbles. IT REALLY helps in RP to see who's saying what, and where they are as opposed to you. /s textbubbles -really- is something you need in RP, any other MMO has them. I've missed this feature from day one.

Don't get this one, yes I seen it many times, but the text boxs tell you who said what, so it just leaves location (which again isn't hard to follow) and style (and I don't want to believe I'm in a comic book, I want to believe I'm a Jedi/Sith/Trooper/operative)

6. Guild ships. What's more awesome than having an actual ship for your guild to call home?