The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Darth Maul's Story to Conclude in a Comic

Beniboybling

Turns out we will be given a resolution to the story of Darth Maul in the form of a four-part comic series and supposed resolution/final arc to the Clone Wars series as a whole, called Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir. Which will be produced by Dark Horse Comics and published in May 2014 before the rights are handed over to Marvel.

Here is some info from the writer:

"All you need to know is that Darth Maul has returned, that he's really pissed off, and that his former master Darth Sidious is determined to put him back in the ground, permanently.

Beyond that, Maul now serves a Dathomir Witch named Mother Talzin and together they've raised a ragtag army of hired soldiers and criminals, causing all kinds of trouble for Sidious' plans for galactic conquest. There have been victories and losses for both sides, and as we come into Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, Sidious has captured Maul and stashed him away on a remote prison planet made of obsidian."

And no folks, rest assured that this will not be replacing the promised bonus episodes.

Yet while I'm glad everything is getting a full resolution, apparently these strips were influenced by the screenplay of the series finale, the series finale that we could have seen if Disney hadn't cancelled the show. /madface.

It will also likely be the first (and last) Star Wars comic I ever read, and I'd much prefer a novel or an ANIMATED SERIES FOR GODS SAKE. *Deep breaths* But that's just my opinion, what do other folks this about this?

Bet anything he is gonna have to fight Vader(again....if you count the doppleganger Vader fought), depending on how far in the future this comic is gonna take place.

That's how I see it, I don't really see them just putting Maul stranded on some prison to rot. Or perhaps he starts a riot and in the chaos gets killed?

/Shrug

Scenario 1 is my better guess, because The Force knows Vader needs to be tested again and again to see if he is worthy of being Sidious' apprentice....when he kinda already has proven that time and again.

Plus Vader is the OG Sith Lord, must have as much screen time as he can get! :D

Plus i'll level with you all, Vader should really be busting out giant TK feats in comics considering that other powers are rather restricted to him and TK is his main thing, he clearly is full well a master with TK. So why not right?

He should be just leagues above pretty much anyone in the TK department, barring a few other beings.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well given that this is Clone Wars material, we won't be seeing Vader. But if Maul lives and returns in Rebels? Its certainly a possibility, but I guess we'll have to wait and see just how much focus the series puts on him.

As said depending on the timeframe it places him it we could.

Well apparently it draws on finale screenplays for the Clone Wars so I'm expecting that era, that said just a few years after ROTS and we could be seeing Vader... hmmmm.

Unless TCW was to end at Order 66 or later...

Edited by Selenial

Some more information from Dave Filoni from his Facebook page:

Happy New Year!

You may have seen the recent Clone Wars / Dark Horse Comics news, and I thought I would chime in and clarify things a bit. I am very excited about our collaboration with Dark Horse and this opportunity to tell an unfinished story developed for the TV series.

Before we get into the details about the Maul comic, I’d like to make clear that this storyline does not represent The Clone Wars series finale. I’ve seen some confusion about that online and want to set the record straight. There are additional Clone Wars episodes on the way and one arc in particular marks the series finale in my mind. We’ll have fun discussing that in the not too distant future.

Allow me to reveal in more detail what the story “Darth Maul, Son of Dathomir” is, and where it came from. As I have mentioned in previous interviews, for us to create the rich and incredibly complex stories that we were telling during The Clone Wars, we would be working on around fifty episodes at one time. This is from rough outline form, all the way through final sound design and picture lock. There were several stories that had gone through a substantial amount of development when the series was ended. We realized that this meant certain character arcs would go unfinished, but the Story and Publishing teams at Lucasfilm approached me with a unique way to continue Maul’s story for everyone who had been faithful to the show. The idea was to tell the story in comic book form, and knowing the great work that Dark Horse had done over the years, I thought it was an excellent plan.

The story of Darth Maul had become an important one for the series and it was only fitting that we chose him for a comic adaptation. The comics will be based on four finished scripts that were written for Season 6 . These scripts came out of one of our story conferences with George Lucas. As they moved through the production pipeline, they became finalized scripts with a great deal of the actual design work completed. The designs you will see, the plot lines, and character development in these comic books are all coming directly from the TV production. I turned over all of the art to Dark Horse so they could create an accurate representation of what we were planning for the show.

I am thrilled with the result, and thankful that we could partner with Randy Stradley and his team on this project. As I have always said, the stories told during the Clone Wars era will live on, and we are eager to share Darth Maul’s storyline with you. Is it the final story for Darth Maul? You will have to read the comics to find out.

TL;DR - The Maul comic is not a finale for the series, though it does borrow from some of the final scripts. And we will be seeing something akin to a season finale in the final bonus content arc, which is pretty cool.

I'm also intrigued when he hints that this may not be Maul's final appearance...

I've never been a big fan of Maul or TCW, and think he should have died in EP 1 (Just like Boba should have in ROTJ), but it's good to see that they aren't going to leave stuff unanswered with him. It's always annoying when things get left open and unresolved.

I did see one clip of the series where Maul and his brother were beaten by Sidious, and am curious as to what happened after that. Wouldn't Sidious have just killed him then and ended his problem once and for all?

Sorry for throwing my opinions in there :)

I've never been a big fan of Maul or TCW, and think he should have died in EP 1 (Just like Boba should have in ROTJ), but it's good to see that they aren't going to leave stuff unanswered with him. It's always annoying when things get left open and unresolved.

I did see one clip of the series where Maul and his brother were beaten by Sidious, and am curious as to what happened after that. Wouldn't Sidious have just killed him then and ended his problem once and for all?

Nah, Sidious told Maul he had uses for him or some such noise. He's useless to Sidious now...but still he has uses for him.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What about Revan?

Edited by Sadishist