The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Expanded Universe not being wiped.

LadyKulvax

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to hear if anyone wants any part of the EU wiped...

Maybe....I'm mostly geared towards the Rebellion era, I have dipped my fingers into of course OR era and Post-ROTJ. But not really enough in Post-ROTJ to actually care if he gets wiped or not, most of my knowledge of the Post-ROTJ EU is pretty much 2nd hand info with which I look up.

The characters?...Don't really know much about the Post-ROTJ EU chars, so I wouldn't really miss them.

The only post-ROTJ that I actually know/have, is the Crimson Empire series. But by comparision to the other chars, Kanos could still be a legit canon character considering that he is one of Palpatine's Royal Guard and it's shown in flashbacks prior to the death of Palpatine and Vader. So you would still have the character, just the story that he goes with is wiped.

That is of course if the vast majority of the post-ROTJ EU is wiped.

Of course still while I may not much care for the majority of the post-EU characters that popped up. The information that I do have regarding Luke/Sidious is gonna be a waste(least post-ROTJ info I have, I have other info on them regarding the time in the Rebellion era), if they go through with wiping everything.

Do I want to? Not really, would I care if it is? Nah..

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Curious to hear if anyone wants any part of the EU wiped...

That's come up between a few of us on a similar thread to this over in the "Story and Lore" forum: SW canon will now be unified & include the EU!!!.

I think overall it's a great idea. Now they can fine tune the canon. Get rid of the bs (I'm talking about YOU "Crystal Star"), And make the Thrawn Trilogy official so they can MAKE THESE MOVIES! Lol

My new ideal future for the EU:

Existing EU kept intact post-ROTJ up until around Children of the Jedi;

Everything from Children of the Jedi to just before the Hand of Thrawn becomes some weird fever dream Luke had after drinking too much Blue Milk;

The new movies tell the story of what was really happening in those years;

Things in the EU pick back up with the Hand of Thrawn onward being intact.

...hey, a guy can hope :p

Include Dark Empire in that fever dream and you've got yourself a deal, pyjak.
Edited by DarthDymond

I don't get the distaste for Dark Empire...I mean yeah I know, opinion and everything but still.

I like it fine, even consider myself a fan, but I do understand two complaints about it:

1) The God-tier powers Jedi and Sith are shown using (reflecting AT-AT blasts, creating wormholes, Force Storms that destroy Super-Duper Star Destroyers)

2) After the Prequels created the whole "Prophecy"/"Chosen One" thing for Anakin, reviving the Emperor kind of seems inconsistent, and even without a Prophecy backing it up did undermine the significance of his sacrifice (I don't feel as strongly about that since I always felt the core of his sacrifice was more about saving Luke than killing Palpatine.)

I kind of like the zinger T. Zahn throws its way via Mara Jade when she says "Whatever. I'm not even convinced that was really him" or something like that. I don't mind there being some ambiguity over whether it was really the Emperor body-surfing or just a series of Clones who all thought they were the one-and-only Emperor.

I like it fine, even consider myself a fan, but I do understand two complaints about it:

1) The God-tier powers Jedi and Sith are shown using (reflecting AT-AT blasts, creating wormholes, Force Storms that destroy Super-Duper Star Destroyers)

2) After the Prequels created the whole "Prophecy"/"Chosen One" thing for Anakin, reviving the Emperor kind of seems inconsistent, and even without a Prophecy backing it up did undermine the significance of his sacrifice (I don't feel as strongly about that since I always felt the core of his sacrifice was more about saving Luke than killing Palpatine.)

I kind of like the zinger T. Zahn throws its way via Mara Jade when she says "Whatever. I'm not even convinced that was really him" or something like that. I don't mind there being some ambiguity over whether it was really the Emperor body-surfing or just a series of Clones who all thought they were the one-and-only Emperor.

God-tier powers?....That's what they are called?

Yep...I must be reading too much DC/Marvel comics to see that. Though it's not like it wasn't stated from the flat out beginning of the franchise, that The Force was something very big. Eventually that avenue was gonna be explored anyway....besides not every Jedi/Sith has this....'God-tier' power...if you call it that.

Well the Prophecy never did say that it would bring balance forever did it? Besides when were Prophecies full proof? At least it's better than bringing back Darth Vader....that just would seem odd.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

God-tier powers?....That's what they are called?

Yep...I must be reading too much DC/Marvel comics to see that. Though it's not like it wasn't stated from the flat out beginning of the franchise, that The Force was something very big. Eventually that avenue was gonna be explored anyway....besides not every Jedi/Sith has this....'God-tier' power...if you call it that.[...]

Don't read too much into my word choice there, it's phrasing more conducive to TVTropes.com than here probably.

The point is, on the continuum within the Star Wars mythos of how powerful Force Users are portrayed, Dark Empire is pretty far at one extreme, alongside Kevin J Anderson's works, The Force Unleashed games, and the animated Clone Wars shorts (not the CGI series, the other one), as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum that we see in works by Timothy Zahn (C'baoth's super-mind powers aside) or Karen Traviss.

Some people liked it when Yoda had to completely stop his fight with Dooku to hold back that falling stone pillar; some people liked it when Starkiller ripped an Imperial Star Destroyer down into the ground. Like you said: "opinion and everything".

Well the Prophecy never did say that it would bring balance forever did it? Besides when were Prophecies full proof? At least it's better than bringing back Darth Vader....that just would seem odd.

Personally, I flat out do NOT like prophecies in fiction. I just find them overdone, and especially don't care for stories that make a point of saying "if you choose to follow the prophecy it's your own choice, we make our own destiny" and then turn around and, without fail, always have the hero fulfill the prophecy, even if only under "one possible interpretation" of it. (And I'm normally a fan of ambiguity/multiple interpretations.)

But that's just personal preference. Prophecies are so popular in fiction because a LOT of people like them. So I'm not really surprised when people feel "cheated" or otherwise dislike a story element that ends up undermining one.

Is there a way to justify it? Sure. Is a fan of the prophecy trope likely to find that 'twist' more satisfying than if it had played out straight? Probably not. [/Devil'sAdvocate]

Don't read too much into my word choice there, it's phrasing more conducive to TVTropes.com than here probably.

The point is, on the continuum within the Star Wars mythos of how powerful Force Users are portrayed, Dark Empire is pretty far at one extreme, alongside Kevin J Anderson's works, The Force Unleashed games, and the animated Clone Wars shorts (not the CGI series, the other one), as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum that we see in works by Timothy Zahn (C'baoth's super-mind powers aside) or Karen Traviss.

Some people liked it when Yoda had to completely stop his fight with Dooku to hold back that falling stone pillar; some people liked it when Starkiller ripped an Imperial Star Destroyer down into the ground. Like you said: "opinion and everything".

Note: Galen didn't rip the SD from the sky, he merely guided it towards the ground.

Force Unleashed games...they actually didn't really show anything that other Force Users haven't done already, or wouldn't be able to do now that I think about it, they just showed it as more flashy of course though.

Though yeah I know word choice and all, but just find it amusing people call it that.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Nope, check Pablo's twitter, most games are non-canon now.
Oh boy, not only am I completely incapable of navigating twitter but I don't think I want to find whatever is hiding in that dark labyrinth...

EDIT: Checked and I can confirm that I still don't get twitter /sigh

Edited by Beniboybling

Well, Rebels is probably going to demolish most of, if not all of TFU, we all know that. I'm more looking because of Kotor, EAW etc...
I don't think we do, its set closer to a New Hope but probably won't encroach on TFU territory.

Nor should we forget that its already quite established within Star Wars lore that the Galactic Civil War began only a few years before the events of ANH, its practically in the opening reel. TFU was already pushing the boundaries by introducing major conflicts before those events, if they pulled it back even futher it would cause some disruptions.

Because of that, I highly doubt we will be seeing anything close to an organised Rebel Alliance in Rebels, the main characters themselves don't seem to be tied to any one faction. What we will probably be seeing is the birth of those "dissident and rebels" that Galen Marek gathers together in TFU. Lets not forget they didn't come from nowhere, Galen Marek did not create the Rebellion, he just brought them together under a single barrier and into the open.

All in all I think it would be quite easy to keep TFU intact, a lot more difficult to simply bulldoze such a large multimedia project, and possibly providing quite an elegant and expanded origin story for the Alliance.

P.S. Also lets not forget that TFU is quite high profile in terms of lore. George Lucas had a direct input, a lot of effort was put into establishing as well as a lot of advertising, its been expanded upon quite a lot and has had involvement from quite a few significant names, its not just another set of comics.

Edited by Beniboybling

It was one long Twitter conversation I will just lay this out for you all:

Most games are considered non-canon now, however the KotOR series, TOR, etc... are pretty safe.

However TFU games aren't canon, that much was confirmed, we have the books and the books only.

It was one long Twitter conversation I will just lay this out for you all:

Most games are considered non-canon now, however the KotOR series, TOR, etc... are pretty safe.

However TFU games aren't canon, that much was confirmed, we have the books and the books only.

So the TFU games aren't canon, yet the TFU books are? I thought that had already been established beforehand.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So the games aren't canon, yet the books are? I thought that had already been established beforehand.

I think you are missing the larger picture, ALL those others games? bye bye.

TFU, KotOR, TOR will continue to exist in the canon in one way or another, but the rest? nuked.

Edited by LadyKulvax

I think you are missing the larger picture, ALL those others games? bye bye.

I know, but what I mean is, are the books to the games still relavent. Is what I'm asking...of course the games would be non-canon considering that it's not actually showing what the character/characters would really do(for the vast majority of the time, barring a few cutscenes here n there).

Games understand...non-canon

Books of the games? What?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I suppose we should consider this from a business perspective, its probably likely that the post-ROTJ actually makes up the majority of the EU and therefore the majority of the revenue they receive from it.

If I'm corrected retconned material is pulled of the shelves, so that means no more money. I guess it seems that only the forces of capitalism can save the post-ROTJ now...

Business is all it is about. They will get loads of revenue from the new movies.