The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Highest DPS

Cempa

What is currently the highest DPS build for PT?

Why do some say that for both PvE and PvP pure builds lack behind hybrid builds? And what are these builds that outperform pure builds for both PvE and PvP? Is this the developers intended and will allow to continue?

What is currently the highest DPS build for PT?

Why do some say that for both PvE and PvP pure builds lack behind hybrid builds? And what are these builds that outperform pure builds for both PvE and PvP? Is this the developers intended and will allow to continue?

There is no hybrid build that outperforms pure builds as far as DPS goes in PvP. Tanks are running full AP spec in Ion Cell to guard and put out good DPS, but an equally skilled AP PT in HEGC will beat him substantially in damage. AP PT's in Tank stance don't get the 100% crit to railshot and lose 5% damage from not having HEGC. They also overheat more easily so have to hold back on DPS.

Pyro is nothing without Thermal Detonator other than a crappy fluff damage spec that doesn't hurt anyone. It might outdps a pure Pyro if they tab target flame burst everyone around, which doesn't hurt anyone and makes CC outside of stuns useless.

So the Hybrid only benefits someone who wants to play Tank, and it's not really a hybrid. Most go all the way to the top of AP and get immolate, some stop 1 point shy of Immolate and pickup Oil slick in the Shield Tech tree, but I'd hardly call 35-36 points in a single tree a hybrid, it's only called a Hybrid because they are in tank stance

As for DPS, it all depends on your playstyle, if you're an AoE kind of guy that likes being tanky then AP is for you, if you're a single target burst kind of guy but a bit squishier then Pyro is for you. Both have their pros and cons, AP has stronger passive defenses while Pyro has strong reactive defensive CD's. I will say that I believe both specs are equally strong in Warzones and Rated Arena and I regularly play both for fun, I even tank on occasion and enjoy all 3 aspects of the class.

Now for PvE I don't partake so I can't comment on that. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

Cheers

Edited by Megatfx

Unfortunately on the BH forums you will not find as much information as you would on the Vanguard side for PVE. There is a wealth of information for Pyro/AP on their forums. AP is steady dps, gets very boring and I've noticed over time it is not very movement friendly that and RB looks like every other bleed effect. I am normally the token powertech DPS in our/any OPs group. Pyro is more movement based due to dots and can go on the move. Hybrid like AP is the same, I do not like Hybrid but there are a lot of Powertechs who will tell you different. Keep in mind, I do not like speccing back and forth so I will run one spec for everything dependent, I do not respec every fight I do.

Definitions:

RB: Retractable Blades

EF: Explosive Fuel

IM(AP): Immolate

IM(Pyro): Incendiary Missiles

RP: Rocket Punch

FB: Flame Burst

RS: Rapid Shots

Rail: Rail Shot

FT: Flame Thrower

SC: Shoulder Cannon

TD: Thermal Detonator

CF: Chaff Flares

When I go AP my spec is 8/36/2 (2 in rocket punch rest pretty self explanatory)

My Rotation for AP is:

RB>EF>IM>RP>FB>FB (If FB procs RP, and use all SC while using rotation) > FT

RB>IM>RP>FB>FB>RS (Their will be about 1-3 seconds left on FT CD)>FT

Rinse and repeat as EF/SC is up always use SC with EF. Always make sure RB is up. Always use your CF before FT. Save Vent Heat for when you mess up in your rotation or multiple enemies such as Counsel's etc.

My Rotation for Pyro is proc dependent, you can read a lot but everyone's opinion is different. I use 4/6/36 for spec, some use 7/8/31, others use 8/8/30. I like having TD though.

My beginning rotation is always the same:

TD, IM, EF, (Unload SC during rotation), Rail, FB, RP, Rail, RS after this point it gets proc dependent.

In-between every other rotation I will use FT combined with Vent Heat, some may argue this, I will also use Explosive Dart. Keep in mind 20-30% of your damage will come from your Rail, the rest ~30-40% will come from your dots. FT/Explosive Dart will only account for ~10-12% of your total damage so do not stress about using it when learning, rest will come from FB,RP, RS.

It took me forever to find this, your stat priorities no matter what you decide should be Aim>Accuracy 110%> Crit 25%> Surge 70%> Power. Those should be your goals.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Vansh

Great feedback thanks! I play full Pyro 4/6/36 with 3/3 aim 1/2 Rail in tanking tree.

Thus far Dart-->auto-->Rail if burning-->Punch-->Rail if proc-->TD+IM-->all the while moving and strafing--> I need to get into the habit of using fuel..

What about shoulder cannon, its not on global so no reason not to use it between attacks, right?

Great feedback thanks! I play full Pyro 4/6/36 with 3/3 aim 1/2 Rail in tanking tree.

Thus far Dart-->auto-->Rail if burning-->Punch-->Rail if proc-->TD+IM-->all the while moving and strafing--> I need to get into the habit of using fuel..

What about shoulder cannon, its not on global so no reason not to use it between attacks, right?

You time shoulder cannon with explosive fuel for max burst. If you do it right and wait for all 4 rockets to load, then pop explosive fuel + shoudler cannons and your standard pyro burst rotation you will nearly global someone.

Shoulder cannon is on a slightly shorter CD than explosive fuel, so pop shoulder cannon as soon as it comes off CD, wait for all 4 rockets to finish loading and then Explosive Fuel is off CD.. Boom.. Rinse and repeat.

So use all x4 rockets under fuel? Or between my normal rotation during global cd?

Only use your rockets with Explosive Fuel, if you time it right the cooldowns go with each other perfectly. It's also important to time this correctly with a burst rotation.

Throw Thermal Detonator on the Target, Rocket Punch or Flameburst (Depending on if RP is on CD), then right before thermal det goes off and you do your Railshot pop explosive fuel and start spamming your Shoulder cannon button.

If everything crits then we're talking like 25k burst really quickly.

Edited by Megatfx

Only use your rockets with Explosive Fuel, if you time it right the cooldowns go with each other perfectly. It's also important to time this correctly with a burst rotation.

Throw Thermal Detonator on the Target, Rocket Punch or Flameburst (Depending on if RP is on CD), then right before thermal det goes off and you do your Railshot pop explosive fuel and start spamming your Shoulder cannon button.

If everything crits then we're talking like 25k burst really quickly.

Nice gonna work on that, thanks.

Unfortunately on the BH forums you will not find as much information as you would on the Vanguard side for PVE. There is a wealth of information for Pyro/AP on their forums. AP is steady dps, gets very boring and I've noticed over time it is not very movement friendly that and RB looks like every other bleed effect. I am normally the token powertech DPS in our/any OPs group. Pyro is more movement based due to dots and can go on the move. Hybrid like AP is the same, I do not like Hybrid but there are a lot of Powertechs who will tell you different. Keep in mind, I do not like speccing back and forth so I will run one spec for everything dependent, I do not respec every fight I do.

Definitions:

RB: Retractable Blades

EF: Explosive Fuel

IM(AP): Immolate

IM(Pyro): Incendiary Missiles

RP: Rocket Punch

FB: Flame Burst

RS: Rapid Shots

Rail: Rail Shot

FT: Flame Thrower

SC: Shoulder Cannon

TD: Thermal Detonator

CF: Chaff Flares

When I go AP my spec is 8/36/2 (2 in rocket punch rest pretty self explanatory)

My Rotation for AP is:

RB>EF>IM>RP>FB>FB (If FB procs RP, and use all SC while using rotation) > FT

RB>IM>RP>FB>FB>RS (Their will be about 1-3 seconds left on FT CD)>FT

Rinse and repeat as EF/SC is up always use SC with EF. Always make sure RB is up. Always use your CF before FT. Save Vent Heat for when you mess up in your rotation or multiple enemies such as Counsel's etc.

My Rotation for Pyro is proc dependent, you can read a lot but everyone's opinion is different. I use 4/6/36 for spec, some use 7/8/31, others use 8/8/30. I like having TD though.

My beginning rotation is always the same:

TD, IM, EF, (Unload SC during rotation), Rail, FB, RP, Rail, RS after this point it gets proc dependent.

In-between every other rotation I will use FT combined with Vent Heat, some may argue this, I will also use Explosive Dart. Keep in mind 20-30% of your damage will come from your Rail, the rest ~30-40% will come from your dots. FT/Explosive Dart will only account for ~10-12% of your total damage so do not stress about using it when learning, rest will come from FB,RP, RS.

It took me forever to find this, your stat priorities no matter what you decide should be Aim>Accuracy 110%> Crit 25%> Surge 70%> Power. Those should be your goals.

Hope this helps a little.

A few things I'm noticing that may just be typos, or might be incorrect:

1) In your rotation for AP, you never listed a Rail Shot. And I assume the first rotation listed is your opener, in which case you should be using Flame Sweep before the start 3x to build up your PFT. So your rotation opener would be:

RB > (EF in GCD window) > IM (start spamming SC as much as possible now) > RP > Rail > FT > FB (continue priority list).

2) In the case of Pyro, you never use Flamethrower unless you are spec'd into the hybrid. Before 2.0, it could be argued that using Flamethrower/Death from Above inbetween PPA procs was a DPS boost. I never agreed, but ever since the change of giving Flame Burst the 30% surge bonus, it is more DPS efficient to spam Flame Burst (still use Rocket Punch when appropriate for a better shot at proc'ing a Rail). That aside, it was never recommended to ever use Explosive Dart in your rotation unless you were stuck at 30m away from the OPs boss. Explosive Dart in rotation is a waste of heat and does very minimal damage.

Edited by ScytheEleven

I have to say, pyro is the harder of the two specs to gear up in end game PVP.

You need to take the 4 piece PVP eliminator suit, which is meant for mercenaries, not powertechs. That means the mods are loaded with junk like alacrity and accuracy, neither of which we need.

Hint: It means buying more mods and enhancements to optimize the setup. Save yourself a little hassle, and get the combat tech chest (because it's power/surge) and the rest eliminator. That way if you want to switch to AP for awhile, you only need to get three conqueror/Obroan pieces to swap out the armorings.