The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Battle Cruisers

Mortelus

In the films is not the republic (Palpatine) who uses the famous battlecruisers, some of them even have the republic stripe down the middle.

Now my SW lore knowledge is pretty rubbish, but how is it in SWTOR the empire have control of the ships? Shouldn't they be in the Republics hands and not the Empires?

Thoughts or clarifications welcome :)

I assume you mean the triangle shaped star destroyer style ships?

Practically, because they wanted the swtor era Empire to mimic the designs of the films. Hence the ships, the insignia, the stiff english accents and uniforms, the quests about crushing rebels etc.

Lore wise, who knows.

Edited by Bleeters

I assume you mean the triangle shaped star destroyer style ships?

Practically, because they wanted the swtor era Empire to mimic the designs of the films. Hence the ships, the insignia, the stiff english accents and uniforms, the quests about crushing rebels etc.

Lore wise, who knows.

Not to mention that the Republic uses KOTOR style ships, so it's a nice way to bridge the aesthetic gap from games to movies.

The wedge-shaped ship design has existed in various forms for thousands of years in the Star Wars timeline. In-universe, its known for its advantages in military application, which is why is used by civilizations prone to conflict, whether they're initiating or responding to it.

It's been used by the Republic, Empire, and even neutral parties like the Mandalorians at various points in the timeline. During the time of the game, the Republic needed its ships to perform multiple roles and functions, so their vessels lacked the dedicated wedge shape the Imperials utilized. Over time, however, they likely realized the effectiveness of the design and began utilizing them as well, leading to their usage in the time of the films.

The wedge-shaped ship design has existed in various forms for thousands of years in the Star Wars timeline. In-universe, its known for its advantages in military application, which is why is used by civilizations prone to conflict, whether they're initiating or responding to it.

It's been used by the Republic, Empire, and even neutral parties like the Mandalorians at various points in the timeline. During the time of the game, the Republic needed its ships to perform multiple roles and functions, so their vessels lacked the dedicated wedge shape the Imperials utilized. Over time, however, they likely realized the effectiveness of the design and began utilizing them as well, leading to their usage in the time of the films.

Oh yes, I think I've read about that. Something to do with allowing all guns to be focused in a single direction, right ?

Oh yes, I think I've read about that. Something to do with allowing all guns to be focused in a single direction, right ?

Correct. A wedged design means turrets can be staggered in such a way that they can shoot past turrets further down the wedge, meaning all turrets can fire upon a target ahead of where the wedge points.

And a quick list of the design throughout the Star Wars timeline:

A Mandalorian Warship

The Centurion-class battlecruiser

Harrower-class dreadnought

Venator-class Star Destroyer

Imperial I-class Star Destroyer

Edited by Osetto