directional shield cycling needs to be changed

Kuciwalker

As it stands, the actual "cycling shields" aspect of directional shields only works well to direct power to aft shields; it is not very useful at all for directing power forward. This is because of the cycling behavior and the half-second cooldown. Most of the time you will probably be running with even shields. If you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you need aft shields, that's fine - just press the button once and you get it. If you need forward shields, though, actually cycling power is incredibly risky. You will spend at least a half-second dangerously exposed.

In my experience, the directed shield power would be most useful in head-to-head contests (maybe because I'm pretty good at getting people off my tail) and this behavior means a lot of the time I can't use it.

The best solution is probably to allow us to set three separate keybinds, for aft/forward/even shields. The simplest solution is probably to remove the cooldown on the ability.

Yes put it in as an opt in kind of thing that is there for those who look for it but not a default that most classes can't use. There are certainly many other features that reward those who research them in the ground game.

I think if we push hard enough there should be no reason we can't get this. I'm a directional shield user myself and died with a naked front end trying to cycle my shields to forward.

i hate the idea of directional shield and being totally exposed on one end, not trying to bag on anyone its just not my cup of tea. for my scouts i prefer to use distortion field and for my strikers i use the shield recharge (forgot what its called). but what you explain does seem like it could use some tweaking so players that use directional shield can pick which end to focus their shields to.

As it stands, the actual "cycling shields" aspect of directional shields only works well to direct power to aft shields; it is not very useful at all for directing power forward. This is because of the cycling behavior and the half-second cooldown. Most of the time you will probably be running with even shields. If you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you need aft shields, that's fine - just press the button once and you get it. If you need forward shields, though, actually cycling power is incredibly risky. You will spend at least a half-second dangerously exposed.

In my experience, the directed shield power would be most useful in head-to-head contests (maybe because I'm pretty good at getting people off my tail) and this behavior means a lot of the time I can't use it.

The best solution is probably to allow us to set three separate keybinds, for aft/forward/even shields. The simplest solution is probably to remove the cooldown on the ability.

I agree fully. I never EVER use power to front when starting an attack run because it leaves you too vulnerable and during combat will likely just get you killed. I save power to front for after combat when I need to transfer some power from undamaged rear shields to my damaged forward arc.

I can't be sure but I've also noticed that it seems that directional shield autoresets to equal shield arc distribution when you start to take damage. At least a few times I've put power to rear shields while fleeing enemies and notice it shifted back to equal power to shield arcs after I take a hit. Somewhat troubling as usually when I have power set to either the rear or forward arc it's because I want/need that arc charging at a faster rate than the other arc. If this is indeed the case the autoreset needs to be removed too.

But anyway I agree that currently directional shields don't live up to their full potential and creating dedicated buttons for toggling shield power to front/rear/equal would make directional shields really shine.

Well... It would be nice, but I use my Pike with directional shields mostly as a Gunship hunter (has more health and stuff than a scout), and doing a direct YOLO approach will work with directional and barrel roll, combined with proton torps :D

But yes, please add! (Will never happen, I guess, but we can dream...)