The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please change the dye modules for the Vintage Republic Trooper set

ODST-Parker

I tried on the Republic Trooper armor from the Cartel Market to see if the stupid new helmet would be any good on my current Trooper armor look, which it isn't, but I noticed something that I think is really strange.

The dye module that I have equipped, White / Blue, only changes the black and red portions of the armor, leaving the yellow unchanged.

I think it would look much better if the armor's dye module slot changed the color of the red and yellow portions of the armor, and leave the black unchanged. Black is the standard outfit worn under the armor seen on every Republic Soldier in KOTOR. If people want to have the unique TSF colors, with blue and white replacing the Republic Military's black and red, or any other color combination involving the clothing underneath the armor, give people the option to change between the different color areas when selecting a dye module.

If the armor stays yellow, which is extremely prominent on the helmet, there is little to no reason in using the armor in combination with anything else, which limits the use of it considerably.

Dye packs only affect colours one and two on armour, which in the case of some parts (especially helmets) has a less than desirable effect. While I understand why, and loosely understand the mechanics (because I'm not a programmer), I feel they need to tweek some of the aspects.

I feel they need to make it so that the tertiary and quadriary colours get shifted if the dye pack is close enough in colour (ie a yellow would alter blues into greens but maybe not purples). I understand this would take some more coding, but the Dyes really do need a slight tweek.

Making it so that they shift if they're "close enough" in color would be a pain I'd assume. You also have to remember that they can't simply decide it will affect tertiary colors because that is what the majority of glow affects on armors like the Scalene use as their coloration spot. Wouldn't be a simple change.

I think it would be great if they could update the color matching system to match the areas of the armor that are colored, but since I'm not a programmer, I have absolutely no idea how one would go about doing that. I can only give suggestions and hope that someone at Bioware sees it and knows what to do.

For example, I'm playing a Trooper, a Commando, and all of my gear has a black suit under the armor plates. That part of the armor does not get changed by dye modules, and I like it that way. I use a white and blue module because I've always been a big fan of the 501st Clone Troopers, so the armor plating on my armor is white with blue areas, just how I want it. However, if I equip a helmet like the Vintage Republic Trooper helmet, the yellow area, which I would like to be blue, remains yellow. The black area on the default helmet turns white, and I want it to stay black. The red area, which I would like to be white, turns blue. If it could detect that my main armor, the chest piece, was mainly black, with white armor and blue markings, then it would change the helmet's colors to match that.

I know we're probably a long ways away from something like that, but I believe it would be a good thing to look into. I've always loved the types of character customization in games like this, and SWTOR does a great job with it. But some parts, like this, could use some improvement.

I think it would be great if they could update the color matching system to match the areas of the armor that are colored, but since I'm not a programmer, I have absolutely no idea how one would go about doing that. I can only give suggestions and hope that someone at Bioware sees it and knows what to do.

For example, I'm playing a Trooper, a Commando, and all of my gear has a black suit under the armor plates. That part of the armor does not get changed by dye modules, and I like it that way. I use a white and blue module because I've always been a big fan of the 501st Clone Troopers, so the armor plating on my armor is white with blue areas, just how I want it. However, if I equip a helmet like the Vintage Republic Trooper helmet, the yellow area, which I would like to be blue, remains yellow. The black area on the default helmet turns white, and I want it to stay black. The red area, which I would like to be white, turns blue. If it could detect that my main armor, the chest piece, was mainly black, with white armor and blue markings, then it would change the helmet's colors to match that.

I know we're probably a long ways away from something like that, but I believe it would be a good thing to look into. I've always loved the types of character customization in games like this, and SWTOR does a great job with it. But some parts, like this, could use some improvement.

Generally that is how it works. I equipped one of the Republic flight helms along with the Red/Black Scalene chest--which color changes at times--set unify colors, and the entire helm goes to black. Referring to the black and orange helm here: http://static.swtor-spy.com/img/1/2013/10/swtor_galactic_starfighter-1024x661.jpg

With this new helm it could be an issue though as it sounds like the other color is tertiary.

Making it so that they shift if they're "close enough" in color would be a pain I'd assume. You also have to remember that they can't simply decide it will affect tertiary colors because that is what the majority of glow affects on armors like the Scalene use as their coloration spot. Wouldn't be a simple change.

I know it wouldn't be simple, it would be a major overhaul of how the colours work, with bugs a plenty, it's just something needs to be done, and this was my idea for it. It's probably not workable with this engine, but it's an idea, and hopefully a dev might get a workable idea from it.

But the dye changing the glow effect on armours would be nice, and sice the Preview would show the change not many could complain, and some would actually like it (see the complaints about the glow effects)