I was just on Balmorra again, looking up at the fighters flashing through the sky...

mharratsc

... and I thought that it would make for a really amazing zone- a (relatively) low altitude fighter battle arena over the war-torn surface of Balmorra.

From a storyline perspective, it would really tie the two game elements together, I think. Some would look up from the battlefield of Balmorra and think "That's what it looks like when I shoot by in my fighter", and those in the fighter scenario would look down at the surface and think "Wow, zipping by over the ground like that really gives you a perspective of the speeds of this combat".

Additionally, having all those terrain models already created would help reduce the time it would take to build that new scenario. Not sure how it would affect the current game engine, with having a flat plane as a limit against travel like that, but it would be award-winning IMO if you could pull that off!

Just a suggestion for something new down the road. :)

Sadly, the Engine they are using, even though its basically their own proprietary one now, simply cant handle that sort of thing. However, there is a game in very early alpha right now that is actually doing just that. They are intending to emulate eve onlines scale of game, but allow you to fly into an atmosphere, land, go do whatever you would do in normal games, get back in the ship, fly out manually then do whatever you want in space.

I'll try and find the name for it, but its been in development so far for 6 years and isnt even into regular alpha yet, due to the technology they are having to invent just for the game.

Sadly, the Engine they are using, even though its basically their own proprietary one now, simply cant handle that sort of thing. However, there is a game in very early alpha right now that is actually doing just that. They are intending to emulate eve onlines scale of game, but allow you to fly into an atmosphere, land, go do whatever you would do in normal games, get back in the ship, fly out manually then do whatever you want in space.

I'll try and find the name for it, but its been in development so far for 6 years and isnt even into regular alpha yet, due to the technology they are having to invent just for the game.

He's just talking about a starfighter map with balmorra as the site, some battle stuff going on, not live-action starfighter battles while you quest on balmorra...

Are you talking about star citizen?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

He's just talking about a starfighter map with balmorra as the site, some battle stuff going on, not live-action starfighter battles while you quest on balmorra...

Yeah, basically just a planet-side map where the ground looks like the balmorra map.

Of course, the comment that they have it all pre-built is not really applicable, as they can't just take the map as it exists. From what has been said in dev blog posts, GSF creates the illusion of distance by making everything smaller in the engine, so a starfighter is actually smaller than a character is in the ground game, and things like asteroids might be the side of a standard boulder in the ground game. Point is, the GSF maps aren't really multi-kilometer wide, and are more like the size of ground warzones.

Still, it IS a good idea, and GSF zone set in the Balmorra atmosphere would be really nice. The only issue I see is the two maps we have avoid "hard" limits for some reason, instead putting in exhaustion zones to prevent you from going out of bounds. Even Kuat Mesa has no actual ground... so maybe there's a technical limitation to having a hard "floor" to the level (or perhaps a gameplay one).