The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advance Prototype DPS concerns.

Stevlen

I would like to say that I love this class and AC alot.

I feel as dps AP seems a little low, or maybe i am doing it wrong? (Lvl 28). I feel that in PVP I come off more as an annoyance more than a threat. Sure I love giving someone a RB to the gut then RSing them for a nice crit, but it really the spec to stick with to dps? Does it get better in the later lvls?

If anyone has some input or rotations that would be great thanks!

I'd be happy to argue that AdvProto is more of a PvP spec than a PvE spec, simply due to the fact its not "pure" damage boosts, but rather more boosts for HEGC such as venting and passive speed - That said, here's the rotation I'd expect:

Harpoon/Jetcharge (this varies and is situationally dependent)>>Rotation begins

Retractable Blade

Flamesweep/Immolate

Rocket Punch (chance to be free)

(if RP free) Flame burst

Rail Shot

Rapid Shots

Generally that should give you quite a powerful opening, with a DOT and a huge amount of burst DPS... from there you keep the pressure on with RB when it fades, and use immolate/RP as your constant combo.

Other notes are that AdvProto is about elemental damage with your flame abilities, leading to procs.

I'm not going to suggest a build because anyone with half a brain should be able to pickout the key talents. If your really not sure there is an equiv trooper vanguard build in the Yojack build thread. Again, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the AdvProto equiv.

Personally, I view AdvProto as DPS from Immolate/Rocket punch in a short period of time. The damage you can put out is massive with the combo - I guess its just a matter of filling it with rail shots powered by retractable blade for the rest of it.

AP builds don't get access to Jet Charge. That's a high-tier Shield-Tech talent. What are you talking about?

Back on track though, you're right OP, I've tested out both Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech post-40 and by far Pyrotech is superior DPS. It's not a little more dps, it's a ton more DPS. As it stands right now there needs to be some serious revisions to AP for it to hold it's own either in PvP or PvE.

In PvP a Pyrotech can rotate flame bursts, rail shots, and rocket punches so fast, all while keeping his 2 DoTs up and re-procing CGC with most of his skills that enemies simply drop like flies. Building heat is a concern with Pyrotech because it only really vents it off procs, but it happens often enough and fights are over so quickly with this spec that it was never a huge concern to me. In PvE heat management becomes harder and DPS slows down a bit to manage it, but it's still very high damage.

In PvP AP builds suffer from being equally as squishy as Pyrotech builds, but they require being in melee range much more often rather than being able to constantly skirt at 10m and kite people sometimes. So they take more damage, but in turn deal a lot less out...the only time I've ever been impressed with AP in PvP is when I saved up a Prototype Flamethrower buff to 5 stacks, stunned someone and used Flamethrower on them. Immolate isn't amazing damage, neither are the crit railshots you sometimes get because you don't get +30% Crit multiplier to RS with AP.

Overall Advanced Prototype needs a *lot* more work. I haven't done the math from I'd guesstimate that it's a solid 30% less DPS than Pyrotech overall. The largest damage loss I found came from the fact that the 2 most-used skills in a Pyrotech build are RS and FB, and both of those reproc CGC which can crit for 400+ at level 40. That adds up *real fast* after a few times, and AP really misses out by not having an equally powerful utility.

Edited by Mhak

AP builds don't get access to Jet Charge. That's a high-tier Shield-Tech talent. What are you talking about?

Back on track though, you're right OP, I've tested out both Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech post-40 and by far Pyrotech is superior DPS. It's not a little more dps, it's a ton more DPS. As it stands right now there needs to be some serious revisions to AP for it to hold it's own either in PvP or PvE.

In PvP a Pyrotech can rotate flame bursts, rail shots, and rocket punches so fast, all while keeping his 2 DoTs up and re-procing CGC with most of his skills that enemies simply drop like flies. Building heat is a concern with Pyrotech because it only really vents it off procs, but it happens often enough and fights are over so quickly with this spec that it was never a huge concern to me. In PvE heat management becomes harder and DPS slows down a bit to manage it, but it's still very high damage.

In PvP AP builds suffer from being equally as squishy as Pyrotech builds, but they require being in melee range much more often rather than being able to constantly skirt at 10m and kite people sometimes. So they take more damage, but in turn deal a lot less out...the only time I've ever been impressed with AP in PvP is when I saved up a Prototype Flamethrower buff to 5 stacks, stunned someone and used Flamethrower on them. Immolate isn't amazing damage, neither are the crit railshots you sometimes get because you don't get +30% Crit multiplier to RS with AP.

Overall Advanced Prototype needs a *lot* more work. I haven't done the math from I'd guesstimate that it's a solid 30% less DPS than Pyrotech overall. The largest damage loss I found came from the fact that the 2 most-used skills in a Pyrotech build are RS and FB, and both of those reproc CGC which can crit for 400+ at level 40. That adds up *real fast* after a few times, and AP really misses out by not having an equally powerful utility.

AP is good because you use ion gas cylinder, not high impact. high impact is crap.

you lose 15% run speed and very small regen for so much more. the pyrotech relies on it's cylinder, ap does not.

Edited by zeroburrito

Some people (like myself) try hybrid builds. Having both Jet Charge/Retractable blade is actually really nice.

Also, don't forget with a bit of speccing into AP your getting additional movement speed (PVP) and an additional 3% damage with your cyclinder. While your not getting a 400 crit proc every other attack, all of your attacks are doing 8% more, which is multiplied by criticals if I am not mistaken. Not to mention later on it vents heat as well, so it is certainly no slouch by comparison.

Edited by Hirmetrium