Strikefighter vs Gunship Tactic

Kaivers

I may be late on this but it has worked for me a few times

1. Approach while out of range of Railgun

2. Switch to Heavy Laser Cannon

3. Toggle power to Shields

4. Approach Head-on (if he/she targets you good, if not....better)

5. Within 16k (I believe this is optimal range but still testing) use Barrel Roll

6. Initiate Full Stop (X)

7 Fire Heavy Laser Cannon until dead

Thoughts?

I personally love it when someone charges me as a gunship head on. . .

I can get at least 1 Ion shot off at them. Ruins your plan.

Never approach a gunship head on. If they are skilled you are toast.

*Edit*

Barrel roll doesn't make you "Unhittable" by Gunship's blast. . . Just gives 30% evasion.

Edited by Cashal

I personally love it when someone charges me as a gunship head on. . .

I can get at least 1 Ion shot off at them. Ruins your plan.

Never approach a gunship head on. If they are skilled you are toast.

*Edit*

Barrel roll doesn't make you "Unhittable" by Gunship's blast. . . Just gives 30% evasion.

Nothing makes you "Unhittable" this is why power should be toggled to shields. I upgraded my Strikefighter's Quick Charge Shields to regen at 60% of normal while taking damage but for this maneuver Directional Shields would probably be best .

Either way a Head on Barrel roll at approx 16000m followed by an immediate Full Stop:

1. Closes the gap before you can get your 15k max range railgun shot off

2. Provides 30% Evasion plus propels the Strikefighter to any point of his/her choosing (Above, Below, Beside, Behind, etc) putting the pilot in close enough range (<5000m) and confusing the Gunship Pilot long enough for the Strikefighter to cause serious damage with Heavy Laser Cannons or Quad Laser Cannons.

Thats the idea behind the maneuver. Not saying its perfect but it has worked for me several times.

FYI: Best to also have the Barrel Roll upgrade that increases turning rate by 10%.

Get directional shields if you want to joust gunships. With my shields double front I can take about 3 shots before they actually break my shields. by that time I have already launched a proton a cluster and tons of heavy fire blasts. If they didn't start running in the 1st couple seconds they are done.

While this is probably the best strategy for flying directly at a gunship that I've seen, I must ask why approach directly to begin with? If you boost to the side of him at a 45 degree angle he won't be able to track you fast enough to get a shot, and then when you get to his side you do a 90 degree turn and attack him directly from within your blaster range.

I approach directly a lot. In a strike, you sometimes can't cover the distance to go around and flank him as quickly or easily as you can in a scout. If he is in open space it is one thing, but some gunship pilots are very good at positioning themselves to make the 45-degree approach impractical. This tactic works.

I love when they ion me when I´m already in blaster range. "Your (borderline) exploit isn't going to help you this time!"

Edited by Svarthrafn

While this is probably the best strategy for flying directly at a gunship that I've seen, I must ask why approach directly to begin with? If you boost to the side of him at a 45 degree angle he won't be able to track you fast enough to get a shot, and then when you get to his side you do a 90 degree turn and attack him directly from within your blaster range.

You can do either or, the more options in your playbook the better. The benefit of this maneuver is that Barrel Roll closes the gap quickly and creates some confusion if the Gunship has its sights on you and is charging a shot. If the railgun shot is spent, hit or miss you should have the advantage close range with more blaster power at your disposal. Many times it ends up in a showdown with who can kill who faster with blasters, and when it comes to blasters Strikefighters are supposed to have the advantage.

You can do either or, the more options in your playbook the better. The benefit of this maneuver is that Barrel Roll closes the gap quickly and creates some confusion if the Gunship has its sights on you and is charging a shot. If the railgun shot is spent, hit or miss you should have the advantage close range with more blaster power at your disposal. Many times it ends up in a showdown with who can kill who faster with blasters, and when it comes to blasters Strikefighters are supposed to have the advantage.

Uh... You'll be dead if he has upgraded burst lasers...

65% shield bypass says you die with shields still up, regardless of whether you have power to shields. This will actually still occur with power to blasters or engines in a strike fighter. The only case where power to shields is useful against gunships is when they aren't all that upgraded. Essentially in a case between an upgraded strike fighter and upgraded gunship, it makes no sense to have power to shields.

Uh... You'll be dead if he has upgraded burst lasers...

Not necessarily. If the Strike "strikes" first with fully upgraded quad or heavy lasers, which have a much higher rate of fire (hitting the target more often with >100% accuracy), AND has Directional Shields at Fore he/she has a very good chance at coming out on top.

65% shield bypass says you die with shields still up, regardless of whether you have power to shields. This will actually still occur with power to blasters or engines in a strike fighter. The only case where power to shields is useful against gunships is when they aren't all that upgraded. Essentially in a case between an upgraded strike fighter and upgraded gunship, it makes no sense to have power to shields.

Power to shields for this maneuver is really a fail safe so you can get in and get the kill without having to worry too much about the Gunships teammates. It takes a bit of concentration to pull this off which means ignoring much of what else is going on around you once you commit. Perhaps power to blasters would be better but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Power to shields for this maneuver is really a fail safe so you can get in and get the kill without having to worry too much about the Gunships teammates. It takes a bit of concentration to pull this off which means ignoring much of what else is going on around you once you commit. Perhaps power to blasters would be better but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I see what you're saying. It would theoretically buy a tiny bit more time if someone was attacking your rear shields at the same time. I'd personally used power to engines though in that case, as shields don't regen under fire, and if I need to worry about the gunship charging up another blast, its possible to accelerate past them(a useful tactic in many head-to-head situations).

OP,

Thanks for this post, I've been using it and it works rather well. I appreciate the distance given for when to barrel roll. 16k works out good.

Gunships never see it coming, they usually don't start charging until I'm within range, by that time I'm already mid barrel roll

Edited by Cashal

I may be late on this but it has worked for me a few times

1. Approach while out of range of Railgun

2. Switch to Heavy Laser Cannon

3. Toggle power to Shields

4. Approach Head-on (if he/she targets you good, if not....better)

5. Within 16k (I believe this is optimal range but still testing) use Barrel Roll

6. Initiate Full Stop (X)

7 Fire Heavy Laser Cannon until dead

Thoughts?

To easily counter this tactic.

1. Get shot from behind.

2. Hit distortion field, 31% base evasion +75% for 6 seconds...

3. Hit rotational thrusters.

4. Unload on the fool that used "x" to attack a gunship for an easy kill.

You don't want to sit still when attacking a gunship, gunships are very slow at turning, You have to keep moving to exploit that. Using a barrel roll to get close is a good idea, stopping, not so much.

To easily counter this tactic.

1. Get shot from behind.

2. Hit distortion field, 31% base evasion +75% for 6 seconds...

3. Hit rotational thrusters.

4. Unload on the fool that used "x" to attack a gunship for an easy kill.

You don't want to sit still when attacking a gunship, gunships are very slow at turning, You have to keep moving to exploit that. Using a barrel roll to get close is a good idea, stopping, not so much.

Well its been working for me and most times I either get the kill or send them running. Who says the attacks will always be from behind? The attacks can come from any direction bud. I have barreled rolled right in a Gunship's face and unloaded with my Fully Upgraded Quad Lasers + Bypass. Its only an "easy" kill if I can't shoot back.