GSF sound fixed for Win XP?

Storm-Cutter

So, because Microsoft are ending support, that makes it OK for BW to not bother? There are still lots of XP users out there, using it because it works fine for them and does what they want it to do, with none of the grief involved in finding drivers that actually work properly with their hardware (seen lots of the problems that people at work had, when they moved to Vista) . Lets face it, Vista itself was pretty demanding on machine specs, for it to run 'sensibly'! In any case, in the description of the game, is this:-

Minimum Specs

Operating System

Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ can be played on Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

There it is.....Windows XP SP3 and it is in BWs description.

If Microsoft ends support for a 14 year old OS, then it makes no sense for Bioware to ensure it runs flawlessly on that OS. They could fix it so it works up until MS stops support, but is it really worth it. Especially when other OS's are out that are much more compatible with modern hardware.

Regardless, you need to post in either the bug or suggestion forums, where the devs will actually read it and see what they can do.

I was using Win XP, right up until the current no-sound issue in GSF. That, and a random boot issue I was having made me decide to try out Win 8.1 64bit for the hell of it. I too was seriously worried about driver issues as my PC hardware is quite old. My specs...

C2D E8400 CPU

ASUS P5N32-E SLI nVidia nForce 680i chipset mobo

2 GB DDR2 RAM

Radeon HD4870 videocard

WD Raptor HDD

Creative Audigy Gamer soundcard

I can honestly say that Windows 8.1 installed without a single issue. nVidia decided not to add 8.1 support to it's nForce 680i chipset motherboard drivers, but Microsoft did. The only other driver speed bump was the old Audigy soundcard, but I installed the Win 7 version of the driver, and Win 8.1 recognized it just fine. And now I enjoy the great sounds of GSF, and Windows 8.1 runs fine without demanding any unrealistic or over-the-top hardware requirements.

So there is really no need to fear upgrading from Win XP. I waved the XP flag for years thinking it was just fine for what I needed it for. But XP's days are numbered, and I wouldn't be surprised if anyone that continues to run it without security support from Microsoft will probably have many more issues than from upgrading to a newer OS.

Edited by Oengus