The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Red Sphere vehicle

Is there a chance the Red Sphere Gree vehicle is going up on the cartel market during the event? It would be nice to be able to get one for Sith toons seeing how the only color available is blue from the Gree event vendor.

Not sure about anyone else but I would definitely buy one, especially since the odds of winning it from the Xenoanalyst boss is very low.

Also if the idea bothers people that it can be bought, why not make the mount the Xenoanalyst boss drops a different color, like yellow/gold? Just an idea. Thanks for reading this (hopefully).

Is there a chance the Red Sphere Gree vehicle is going up on the cartel market during the event? It would be nice to be able to get one for Sith toons seeing how the only color available is blue from the Gree event vendor.

Not sure about anyone else but I would definitely buy one, especially since the odds of winning it from the Xenoanalyst boss is very low.

Also if the idea bothers people that it can be bought, why not make the mount the Xenoanalyst boss drops a different color, like yellow/gold? Just an idea. Thanks for reading this (hopefully).

Because if they made the one the boss drops Yellow/Gold then people would post:

Is there a chance the Yellow/Gold Sphere Gree vehicle is going up on the cartel market during the event? It would be nice to be able to get one for Sith toons seeing how the only color available is blue from the Gree event vendor and red from cartel market.

Also if the idea bothers people that it can be bought, why not make the mount the Xenoanalyst boss drops a different color, like pink/purple? Just an idea. Thanks for reading this (hopefully).

Simply put they picked Red as the "rare drop". It sucks for those that want red, but it is supposed to be a rare highly valued speeder. Also, they added a cyan with the event so now people got Blue and Cyan for those that want it and Red is the "rare reward"

@MiralukaJedi Your point is well taken but IMO Bioware made a stupid decision making Red the rare drop. It should be obvious that Blue, Red & Green would be highly sought after - I'd probably toss Purple into that group. If they wanted to make a rare drop they should have chosen a different color such as White, Cyan, Gold maybe Purple.

Blue & Green are associated with Jedi while Red & Purple (I'm of two minds on Purple) are Sith colors. To avoid alienating one faction, I think that BW shouuld have chosen the color differently.

I'd love to have the red sphere for my marauder, to go with his red scalene armor, so I obviously wouldn't complain if it was made more readily available. That said, however, if it isn't, it isn't - I can just attempt to get it the old-fashioned way, and if I never get it... well, that's just how it goes, and my game plays just fine without it. Edited by Nocturnalchemy

IMO what they should have done is offer many colors on the event vendors as BOL (like the blue one is) and make the ones that drop from the xenobot BOE with no rep requirement. as it is now, the red sphere has 0 value other than the yippie factor (and for the record... my assassin 'needs red sphere badly'). having the red sphere as a BOL item, that you only get one shot at per week (per properly equipped 55), and only during the event, and only if you're lucky enough to have it actually drop; and that's assuming you get a capable team if you're not in a raiding guild, and also assuming that the team leader sticks with free roll and doesn't snipe it for themselves, is kinda dumb. rare is good, achievement is good. arbitrary slot machine winnings belong in the cartel pack category where they belong.

there are other rare drop items that can only be gotten by raiding, but you have a chance of getting those items every week. if you want it that badly, keep grinding. this one item cannot be gotten by grinding. you could have all your character slots filled with geared 55's, and succeed at the xenobot challenge with all of them both weeks of the event, and still not get a red sphere. then you have no chance at it till the event comes around again. assuming they don't remove it like the korrealis mounts. and don't get me started about the spheres being piloting 3 only... dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!!! :rak_07:

IMO what they should have done is offer many colors on the event vendors as BOL (like the blue one is) and make the ones that drop from the xenobot BOE with no rep requirement. as it is now, the red sphere has 0 value other than the yippie factor (and for the record... my assassin 'needs red sphere badly'). having the red sphere as a BOL item, that you only get one shot at per week (per properly equipped 55), and only during the event, and only if you're lucky enough to have it actually drop; and that's assuming you get a capable team if you're not in a raiding guild, and also assuming that the team leader sticks with free roll and doesn't snipe it for themselves, is kinda dumb. rare is good, achievement is good. arbitrary slot machine winnings belong in the cartel pack category where they belong.

there are other rare drop items that can only be gotten by raiding, but you have a chance of getting those items every week. if you want it that badly, keep grinding. this one item cannot be gotten by grinding. you could have all your character slots filled with geared 55's, and succeed at the xenobot challenge with all of them both weeks of the event, and still not get a red sphere. then you have no chance at it till the event comes around again. assuming they don't remove it like the korrealis mounts. and don't get me started about the spheres being piloting 3 only... dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!!! :rak_07:

Yuck! Red text!

@MiralukaJedi Your point is well taken but IMO Bioware made a stupid decision making Red the rare drop. It should be obvious that Blue, Red & Green would be highly sought after - I'd probably toss Purple into that group. If they wanted to make a rare drop they should have chosen a different color such as White, Cyan, Gold maybe Purple.

Blue & Green are associated with Jedi while Red & Purple (I'm of two minds on Purple) are Sith colors. To avoid alienating one faction, I think that BW shouuld have chosen the color differently.

Except what good would a rare mount be if nobody wanted it?

I mean, yeah they COULD take a color nobody wants and make it the rare sphere drop but that kinda takes away.

"Woot! I won the crap brown sphere! You all jealous?!?!"

Except what good would a rare mount be if nobody wanted it?

I mean, yeah they COULD take a color nobody wants and make it the rare sphere drop but that kinda takes away.

"Woot! I won the crap brown sphere! You all jealous?!?!"

Yeah, you are so right. Because NO ONE ever wanted a white or purple color crystal.

Color crystals are a horse of a different color so to speak. Clearly red is highly desired as is. I'm very happy that I got one, especially after the number of times I've ended up in an "everyone knows the fight but then doesn't click panels, etc" Hard Mode and had the pain of slogging through that =p

The Red Sphere is a rare drop for the same reason the Gold Scalene and Solus Secant are limited time items on the GTN: it's makes it something special to have them. Who knows, maybe they'll add another rare color to the Market or as a chance roll from a Pack, add a new event that drops something else exclusive, something along those lines. I will enjoy my sphere much more knowing I earned it rather than just buying in from the Cartel Market or GTN, even as a limited time buy, the same way I do my other rare drop speeders.

Regardless, some items are associated with events and take time to earn, and in some cases luck.

Edited by Prototypemind

Color crystals are a horse of a different color so to speak. Clearly red is highly desired as is. I'm very happy that I got one, especially after the number of times I've ended up in an "everyone knows the fight but then doesn't click panels, etc" Hard Mode and had the pain of slogging through that =p

The Red Sphere is a rare drop for the same reason the Gold Scalene and Solus Secant are limited time items on the GTN: it's makes it something special to have them. Who knows, maybe they'll add another rare color to the Market or as a chance roll from a Pack, add a new event that drops something else exclusive, something along those lines. I will enjoy my sphere much more knowing I earned it rather than just buying in from the Cartel Market or GTN, even as a limited time buy, the same way I do my other rare drop speeders.

Regardless, some items are associated with events and take time to earn, and in some cases luck.

I can just buy the armor and the solus mount either with cc's or off the gtn. you cannot buy the red sphere. you can maybe bribe it off someone in your group if it drops and you don't get it. but let's be honest, if you just got one off xeno, what would it take to make you give it up? no amount of credits would get me to part with it if I got one.

the problem is that this event doesn't happen that often, and the only way to get this particular mount is from a weekly. if Xeno HM could be done daily I think there would be less nerd rage. I have no problem with earning stuff rather than just buying it. but at least give us a chance to earn it. unless you have a lot of geared 55's (been here since prelaunch and I only have 3) then you're just SOL on this mount. even if you do have (like a fellow guildie of mine) eleven 55's in full 78's, you still don't have a very good chance of what is essentially winning the lottery.

I can just buy the armor and the solus mount either with cc's or off the gtn. you cannot buy the red sphere. you can maybe bribe it off someone in your group if it drops and you don't get it. but let's be honest, if you just got one off xeno, what would it take to make you give it up? no amount of credits would get me to part with it if I got one.

the problem is that this event doesn't happen that often, and the only way to get this particular mount is from a weekly. if Xeno HM could be done daily I think there would be less nerd rage. I have no problem with earning stuff rather than just buying it. but at least give us a chance to earn it. unless you have a lot of geared 55's (been here since prelaunch and I only have 3) then you're just SOL on this mount. even if you do have (like a fellow guildie of mine) eleven 55's in full 78's, you still don't have a very good chance of what is essentially winning the lottery.

Well, it's exactly as you mentioned: not everyone wins the lottery. Most don't and never will. It's a rare drop, just how it goes. That is part of the MMO world.

Well, it's exactly as you mentioned: not everyone wins the lottery. Most don't and never will. It's a rare drop, just how it goes. That is part of the MMO world.

This used to be part of MMO world. Unfortunately, nowadays, what is normal in MMO world is dictated to, by what people want to buy and how much they are prepared to pay.

You can rest assured these silly spheres will be all over the fleet soon enough. My guess is they will add them to the CM, after one more iteration of the Gree event. If they did it now, people would pretty much stop doing the Gree event, and I still assume that they want us doing content rather than standing around waving our epeen speeders at one another, or perhaps not.

Well if they do change it then the event definitely loses a lot of luster. I have enough Rep tokens to hit Champion not too long after the event is over, but if there were nothing for me to get but the Legacy weaponry I'd probably call it quits and be gone. It's fun to have something to look forward to with HM Xeno other than just helixes. Even in the future when I go back with guildies to help them out, knowing that the Red Sphere or some new version might drop for someone adds to the satisfaction of the event. If everything in the game does simply become a cash grab then the fun will fade. I know that players who have the items requiring high Valor get extra enjoyment knowing that they received something special for their efforts, and I think it's great as well that a rare drop like this can be something that isn't easily gotten.

We're definitely on the same page that simply making everything obtainable with credits or cash isn't doing anything to help MMO immersion. Seems like there is a sense of entitlement to all in-game items becoming more prevalent. It was part of the fun playing D&D back in the day when the DM rolled and you happen to get a rare drop. Your friends--or you if you weren't the recipient--might have gotten a little jealous, but they congratulated you and it added something fun to the game that kept you and your friends that much more hooked.

Even some of the less "interesting" mounts only drop in certain Flash Points, on certain modes, making them not easily had but that seems to be much more accepted. Regardless, even if some variants are added and can be had through achievements or through the Cartel Market, I hope this and other items remain this way in the game, rare and not able to be had any other way.

Edited by Prototypemind

This used to be part of MMO world. Unfortunately, nowadays, what is normal in MMO world is dictated to, by what people want to buy and how much they are prepared to pay.

You can rest assured these silly spheres will be all over the fleet soon enough. My guess is they will add them to the CM, after one more iteration of the Gree event. If they did it now, people would pretty much stop doing the Gree event, and I still assume that they want us doing content rather than standing around waving our epeen speeders at one another, or perhaps not.

That is what the world is ruled by. It's called free market capitalism ... oh that's right I forgot, we abandoned that in 2008.

Edited by Sportiva

Honestly, the fact that people want the speeder so much they are making entire threads whining to have it given to them just goes to show its an awesome reward to feel good about if you get.

I don't have it. Never even had it drop, much less roll to win it. So this isn't a "Ha, ha, I have and you don't." Its a simple "If they make the 'reward' unwanted, why would it be a reward?"

If they made red buyable and made the drop Purple, Green, etc, people would just complain they want a purple, green, white, etc. in the cartel market and "some other color" as a reward.

The only way to not have people want it in the CM would be to make it a sphere nobody wants that is ugly and hated...in which case it isn't a reward or worth anything.

Edit: I don't get why having something rare and desirable is a bad thing...geez. I'm sure every football team wants to win the Super Bowl, but they don't go and complain that they want to buy a trophy instead...

Edited by MiralukaJedi

my thing is that this sphere isn't a reward to be earned, it's pure luck. finding a team that can take xeno down isn't that tough anymore. but to get this mount you have to win the lottery twice in a row. first it has to drop, then you have to win the roll (assuming loot is round robin). if it was a true skill reward, like the mounts for taking down all the boss in the first 3 ops, then I wouldn't complain one little bit. if they made xeno HM a daily instead of a weekly, that would quiet a lot of the complainers if it was on the gree vendor for 100 helixes, I'd just save up. if you want the dessler nomad, keep running those 55 HM's till it drops. you can do those as often as you can get a team. but you only get a handful of (very, very slim) chances at the red sphere per event, and that is what causes all the QQ. I wanted the special snowflake title, so I kept chucking snowballs till I got it. a little grindy, but that is MMO's for ya. i would be ok with it being a 2400cc mount on the market, but i really don't care how they change it. i just want a chance to EARN it rather than a few chances at the swtor keno... sorry, the swtor xeno jackpot :rak_mad:

my thing is that this sphere isn't a reward to be earned, it's pure luck. finding a team that can take xeno down isn't that tough anymore. but to get this mount you have to win the lottery twice in a row. first it has to drop, then you have to win the roll (assuming loot is round robin). if it was a true skill reward, like the mounts for taking down all the boss in the first 3 ops, then I wouldn't complain one little bit. if they made xeno HM a daily instead of a weekly, that would quiet a lot of the complainers if it was on the gree vendor for 100 helixes, I'd just save up. if you want the dessler nomad, keep running those 55 HM's till it drops. you can do those as often as you can get a team. but you only get a handful of (very, very slim) chances at the red sphere per event, and that is what causes all the QQ. I wanted the special snowflake title, so I kept chucking snowballs till I got it. a little grindy, but that is MMO's for ya. i would be ok with it being a 2400cc mount on the market, but i really don't care how they change it. i just want a chance to EARN it rather than a few chances at the swtor keno... sorry, the swtor xeno jackpot :rak_mad:

So essentially if you want an item it shouldn't be rare?

rare... like the avalanche heavy tank? or the forceslayer lightsaber? or the dessler nomad? of the redili fireball? no, rare is fine. what I have a problem with, as I keep saying, is the opportunity to get this one item. I have yet see the tank, forceslayer, or nomad drop, let alone win it. I have spent many hours in-game trying to get those items without success. I didn't get a fireball till they upped it's chance to drop (I didn't complain once about it's previous drop rate btw - it was crazy low, but that's how rare items should be). that's maddening, but that's the way it goes. I can try again, if not right away, then no later than next week. during the rakghoul and chevin events, I decided which items I wanted and went and earned them. when the gree event ends, how do I get a red sphere? what can I do to get another shot at one before the devs decide it's time for the gree to return? that's not rare, that's ridiculous.

rare... like the avalanche heavy tank? or the forceslayer lightsaber? or the dessler nomad? of the redili fireball? no, rare is fine. what I have a problem with, as I keep saying, is the opportunity to get this one item. I have yet see the tank, forceslayer, or nomad drop, let alone win it. I have spent many hours in-game trying to get those items without success. I didn't get a fireball till they upped it's chance to drop (I didn't complain once about it's previous drop rate btw - it was crazy low, but that's how rare items should be). that's maddening, but that's the way it goes. I can try again, if not right away, then no later than next week. during the rakghoul and chevin events, I decided which items I wanted and went and earned them. when the gree event ends, how do I get a red sphere? what can I do to get another shot at one before the devs decide it's time for the gree to return? that's not rare, that's ridiculous.

So again, you're upset that it's rare. It's random, just how it is. I happen to have had the Fireball, the Nomad, and a number of other speeders drop randomly and have them on a number of toons, but that's just how it has gone. There are other items that I don't have and may never get. What I don't have is anything from the Rakghoul event, for instance, or that were only available when the game first opened, and on and on.

Some things are rare, that's part of the game. The Gree will be back barring anything major, so there will be other chances, but they will be that, chances and not guarantees. You said yourself that rare things should be rare in one sentence and then later complain because this speeder is rare. Again, part of life in MMOs it seems.

Edited by Prototypemind

I'm against the cartel market option of changing the rare drop. Flat out. Period. Its a desired mount, its nice to have a rare mount that isn't hideous.

However, I can see your argument for the "once per week" and that's X times per year. If it was a constant thing (the Gree event) then having it be like that wouldn't matter. But the fact that Gree is limited, I can see what you like.

Making it a daily would make Grey Helix too easy to grind out. Making it 100 Grey Helix components isn't terrible, but at same time it'd be a simple grind and would be pretty easy to get.

Another option though would just be increasing the drop chance. Not sure if 100% would still work. I mean you might say "wait, wait, 100% chance?!?" but then remember only 1/16 is getting it. Still a rare lottery. Hell, maybe a 50% chance?

*shrugs* throwing out options, but either way. I think it should be rare and just throwing it on the CM as the OP wanted is stupid. "Oh I don't wanna try to get a rare item..just sell it"