Healing Sorc Companion Question

JerForceOne

As the title says, i'm a 55 healing Sorc and i'm trying to decide which companion I should gear up to run dailies and such. I'm geared with all 156 gear and was thinking of purchasing the same for my companion. But I don't know which one does the most damage or if i should go with one of the tanks. I've also got both HK-51 and Treek. Any thoughts?

Below is information and experiences I hope are helpful in your decision:

Damage dealing is relative to gear: gear up two DPS companions to the same level and they will deal the same DPS (within a small margin of error).

One train of thought - I often use - is that the companion with the same primary stat as you is the easiest to gear up because he/she gets all your hand-me-downs. But in the case of the Sorcerer there is no exact match: Xalek is close but your hand-me-downs turn him into a melee dps rather than a tank.

Another thought - that I have personally encountered - is that with a healer or DPS class using a tank class companion: unless your tank companion is geared as well as the character (or you wait ten seconds before engaging so your tank companion can build threat), chances are you will pull agro often and end up at best ping-ponging mobs between you.

There is an advantage to "tanking" as a healer: you can target a mob doing damage to it and heal yourself without changing targets.

I'd stick with Khem all the way up he's easy to gear with Str items you pick up and get from quests and can Aoe tank. plus hold agro. later on you can turn on all his aoe abilities and grab groups then aoe them while your heal over time spell is on him with a shield bubble.

Ashara is good but doesn't hold agro well which will mean you'll be healing yourself as well as her. She needs good gear to be effective. If your grouping with another she's excellent. DPS if the other person is a tank or has a tank for a companion it's a good mix.

With Companions gear is the key if your fighting a single target Ashara can be usefull as you can dps and have the mob chase after you while you use force slow and let Ashara kill it but for pure tanking I'd stick with Khem.

The only way I would try to use Ashara if I was going to make her my main companion is get her modable gear and gear those mods with a mix of power/crit/surge and also add defense/ parry where you could. No shield or absorb as that's useless for her.

If you go with a tank companion I recommend Xalek over Krem. Krem pissed me off with his damn aoe attacks breaking my whirlwind cc. I like using HK simply because he is HK and his Assassinate move one shots any strong level enemy. Just makes clearing out trash faster. He also has nice self-healing moves as well as stuns that he can use.

Of course if you are running straight dailies I would recommend going half-dps / half-heals or even full lightning dps. If you go full heals you'll end up getting tired waiting for something to heal. Just depends on how "tough" you determine the boss to be.

*Edit: Of course you can turn off Khem's AoE attacks...but that's limiting his abilities where Xalek doesn't need that.

Edited by JabstJaif

If you go with a tank companion I recommend Xalek over Krem. Krem pissed me off with his damn aoe attacks breaking my whirlwind cc. I like using HK simply because he is HK and his Assassinate move one shots any strong level enemy. Just makes clearing out trash faster. He also has nice self-healing moves as well as stuns that he can use.

Of course if you are running straight dailies I would recommend going half-dps / half-heals or even full lightning dps. If you go full heals you'll end up getting tired waiting for something to heal. Just depends on how "tough" you determine the boss to be.

*Edit: Of course you can turn off Khem's AoE attacks...but that's limiting his abilities where Xalek doesn't need that.

The problem there is you don't get Xalek until very late you can manage your pets cooldowns as well so that they don't break cc with aoe or put them on passive and and pull a group with cc on an elite etc. You'll have had Khem for 40 some odd Levels and invested in his gear by the time you get to Xalek. I hear the new Ewok buyable companion is good but I haven't tested it.