Character Analysis: Janek Sunber

Wolfninjajedi

So am back with another Character Analysis, this time looking at a character who I don't think many on here would know unless they read the Empire comics. So without further ado let us begin!

================

"Forget about him. Forget about me—you have the company to save…Commander. You've made me proud, Janek. On my best day I couldn't have matched what you've done…show those aliens what we're made of."

―Ziering, to Janek Sunber

Bio

All Janek Sunber wanted to be was a pilot in the Galatic Empire, however even though his pilot skills were above average they did not meet the standards for the navy. So instead of going home, he then went into infantry and with his dedication he became a leuitenant making officer rank in less then a year, of course he still thought of his other friends who went onto become pilots thinking how much easier they had it then he did. Soon he was assigned to Maridun, a jungle world where it was rough and dirty and also dealing with Captain Gage who is rather difficult and only made his rank due to being wealthy and family connections.

Still though despite being an officer and despite Gage telling him that he shouldn't, Sunber helped out his Stormtroopers when they were doing the dirty work such as helping to move a juggernaut when it was stuck. However while Gage didn't like that Sunber was helping Stormtroopers, General Ziering took note saying that it was commendable that he was helping out the men, saying that "he has his priorities straight, the mission comes first".

Eventually thanks to his strategic mind and also his quick thinking, Sunber was field promoted to Captain by Ziering planning on how to hold the line against the Amanin. Soon enough he was then also promoted to Commander by Ziering before he died, however when it was all over and he was back on Carida, Sunber was demoted back to his previous rank of lieutenant, the board saying that without the proper paperwork he couldn't get his promotion, Gage was the only one who could authorize it but seeing as Gage didn't like him, he didn't. However Sunber wasn't deterred by this, his rank will come with time but he has something Gage doesn't, knowing that duty is sacrifice.

=========

Personality/Traits

Sunber just wanted to be a pilot, however he couldn't make it even with his above piloting skills. While in the infantry however, he helped out his men, sticking with them and doing the best that he could, earning recognition from General Ziering even. He cared about his men, even Gage who didn't like him, he wasn't a cold or heartless officer and tried to help any of his men.

Sunber also has shown to have a great tactical mind even impressing Ziering while all the other officers couldn't even think of anything except themselves, thinking of a strategy to hold the line against the Amanin despite the fact they had fewer troops and also their supplies were low.

=========

Pictures

Facial image

Helping out his men

Fighting with his men

========

Conclusions: Yet another great EU character that I have rather grown fond of. Nicely written and so forth too. Anyway folks let me know what you think!

Also folks guess what? You know when Luke said to Owen "Yeah that's what you said when Biggs and Tank left." Well guys guess who Tank is? Yes Tank(nickname btw) is Janek Sunber, fun fact!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Enjoyed the analysis as usual and hadn't really heard of this fellow other than the fun fact reference that Luke gives in ANH.

Question though, I read his wooki page after reading this and also noted whole big dilemma about him thinking he chose the wrong side, confronting Luke, etc. When you do "Character Analysis" are you more doing their personality and back-story rather than like a complete biography? Found both your post and the wooki page neat but just curious.

Enjoyed the analysis as usual and hadn't really heard of this fellow other than the fun fact reference that Luke gives in ANH.

Question though, I read his wooki page after reading this and also noted whole big dilemma about him thinking he chose the wrong side, confronting Luke, etc. When you do "Character Analysis" are you more doing their personality and back-story rather than like a complete biography? Found both your post and the wooki page neat but just curious.

Pretty much yeah, don't wanna have a whole wall of post. So I just give some info out to at least get a picture of the character out there to the people.

Pretty much yeah, don't wanna have a whole wall of post. So I just give some info out to at least get a picture of the character out there to the people.

I see. Definitely worked on me as I went to Wooki to read more about him after reading this thread!

I watched ANH again like a couple weeks ago. Typically whenever I watch a movie I've seen I'm usually doing other things during the opening credits. Actually paying action this time, I noticed that the opening paragraphs refer to the Empire as "evil Empire" or "sinister plans" etc. thus making a clear distinction of "good vs. evil" for the movie. I find it interesting in the EU that you have characters such as Janek Sunber that can make the lines a little gray ie good people on the other side. I hope I don't start a huge philosophical debate with this post but pretty much just noting my brief observation and interpretation.

I see. Definitely worked on me as I went to Wooki to read more about him after reading this thread!

I watched ANH again like a couple weeks ago. Typically whenever I watch a movie I've seen I'm usually doing other things during the opening credits. Actually paying action this time, I noticed that the opening paragraphs refer to the Empire as "evil Empire" or "sinister plans" etc. thus making a clear distinction of "good vs. evil" for the movie. I find it interesting in the EU that you have characters such as Janek Sunber that can make the lines a little gray ie good people on the other side. I hope I don't start a huge philosophical debate with this post but pretty much just noting my brief observation and interpretation.

Well not every faction/organization/what have you, is gonna have some *** hole. Majority? Sure, but you could find some good eggs in a broken egg basket. Or at the very least, you'll find someone who isn't stuck up and having an inflated opinion of themself and knows what needs to be done.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi