Patched Camera Changes

Tripts

Since the patch that went out last night, it seems Bioware changed the way in which the camera was working. Now when you pan camera with your left mouse button, the camera no longer leashes back. This is great except that it now turns your character the direction the camera is facing.

Can we please have a system where the camera does not leash back, and it also does not force my character to turn the direction I pan?

It was pretty bad before for panning, and they have improved it for standing still... but if you pan while moving now, it's terrible - so much so I would rather have it the way it was than how it is now. Panning is useless since it now forces me to turn the direction I pan.

Was this intended to be done in the patch or what?

edit - grammar.

Edited by Tripts

Wait, so you're telling me that you have always had where if you're running a direction and pan right, your character will turn the direction you panned rather than staying the direction he was going?

Becasue I had it on my republic toon that I would pan right while running, and the camera would instantly leash back to my character in the direction he was running. Not changing his direction at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine just changed as well... extremely annoying. I didn't care much for the auto-pivot back to center, but this is actually much worse, as I can no longer pan to see stuff behind me without then ALSO panning back to the front so that I don't turn.

This HAS to be a bug. Please tell me it's a bug.

Edit: Just spoke with some guildies, and their auto-pivot is still functioning. Somehow, my mouse pan has become completely borked. Anyone know how to fix this issue? It is NOT a preference setting... at least, it's not the "Camera Pivot" option.

Edited by Craftamancer

It seems like there's a hidden toggle for this somewhere and it's getting flipped around. I noticed the two different types of functionality within the same play session just from zoning from area to area. This is probably still being worked on or is bound to some obscure key combination that doesn't give any feedback, but I'm currently back to having the camera snap to my direction, not snapping direction to camera. I imagine this will become an actual toggle in the Preferences menu some time soon.

This is, at least, an improvement from the time when turning the camera always made your character face it. That was one of the big annoyances of the early game (and something almost no other sane MMO does). If you happen to like it that way, uh, I suggest repeatedly telling yourself how wrong you are and working to acclimate to the normal-people system used by guys who know what they're doing, as it will save you a lot of hassle and sucking in the future.

• 3 months later...

It was, I believe, in the patch notes that this was being added as a possibility as many people wanted it. There must indeed be a toggle somewhere.

Go into the preferences, and into the controls tab and check/uncheck "Smart Camera" under the camera options and see if either setting is more to your liking.