Building a PC to run SWTOR on Ultra

Asden

What about 2 i7-6700Ks with SLI? I want to do a lot of ultra/max setting gaming, but I also plan to do a lot of streaming, video filming and editing.

Just go the i7 7700k now instead of the 6700k and a single card like the GTX1080 in my view if you wanted SLI originally

SLI is not as popular as it once was and can cause issues in itself in games, so single card is way less troublesome.

There is a playoff between gaming and video editing and price

Just my thoughts

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go the i7 7700k now instead of the 6700k and a single card like the GTX1080 in my view if you wanted SLI originally

SLI is not as popular as it once was and can cause issues in itself in games, so single card is way less troublesome.

There is a playoff between gaming and video editing and price

Just my thoughts

Yeah, I understand. I asked some people to help me with my first build in a facebook PC gaming group and some people are telling me SLI is ehhh at best.

I've only ever seen one person online have 2 rigs, one for gaming and the other for video editing. I definitely won't be able to do that, at least for a long time, so I gotta make both work in one somehow.

Yeah, I understand. I asked some people to help me with my first build in a facebook PC gaming group and some people are telling me SLI is ehhh at best.

I've only ever seen one person online have 2 rigs, one for gaming and the other for video editing. I definitely won't be able to do that, at least for a long time, so I gotta make both work in one somehow.

How far off are you from looking at this build? I ask because Ryzen is set to release SR7 this month and Vega within 6 months.

I personally am holding out for those and seeing benchmarks etc. before I cement in any upgrade plans but if you were in more of a rush I could put forward some suggestions.

Also will you be building your own system?

How far off are you from looking at this build? I ask because Ryzen is set to release SR7 this month and Vega within 6 months.

I personally am holding out for those and seeing benchmarks etc. before I cement in any upgrade plans but if you were in more of a rush I could put forward some suggestions.

Ehh hopefully within this tax season! One person did suggest waiting for a Ryzen. I'm really in no rush, but it's good to know what kind of parts I'll need for the most part and what their purpose will serve.

I did play a lot of SWTOR back in the day, looking to get back into playing A LOT of PvP again but will definitely be doing so much more than SWTOR, get into other, quite frankly, better games, etc. Will get capture cards to record PC and console gameplay, move on to video editing and voice over programs, etc. But for starters, I'll probably be starting off doing somewhere between 60/40 to 70/30 gaming/cinematography.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques

what would you guys reccomend for me for a 16 gig ram that would work for an i5 6600 and a gtx 1070 sorry im a newb at pc building this is my first one

Sorry for the late response, but if you need any help finding parts compatible with one another, visit pcpartpicker.com ; I used this site to completely optimize my PC for quality and compatible parts.

Ehh hopefully within this tax season! One person did suggest waiting for a Ryzen. I'm really in no rush, but it's good to know what kind of parts I'll need for the most part and what their purpose will serve.

I did play a lot of SWTOR back in the day, looking to get back into playing A LOT of PvP again but will definitely be doing so much more than SWTOR, get into other, quite frankly, better games, etc. Will get capture cards to record PC and console gameplay, move on to video editing and voice over programs, etc. But for starters, I'll probably be starting off doing somewhere between 60/40 to 70/30 gaming/cinematography.

Well my best advice in that case then is wait until you have cash in hand and create a topic then ( reddit is good for this too ) that way advice can be based around current pricing so best bang for your bucks. :)

I guess as of right now you could fairly easily run a 1080 SLI rig with a i7 6700K for the $3K you want to spend with quite a bit left over depending on what sort of other bells and whistles you want e.g. SSD size, additional HDD storage, ram is easy n cheap, motherboard tricky too depending if you want to splash out for a fancy one with 7.1 surround or get a dedicated sound card ( in which case you can tone back the amount you spend on a M/B ).

Lots of options but for your budget you shouldn't have an issue with SLi/Crossfire top end cards and a top end cpu.

I've been hearing some reports that AMD may hold off the release of Ryzen until the end of Q1. That means not till the end of March and possibly not till April.

It's one thing I dislike about AMD, they often hint at a time and then the launch goes way past the deadline that's been suggested. They did this with the Fury X and by the time they released it, Nvidia had release another generation that Fury couldn't beat.

While I love my Sapphire AMD cards I've used over the years, AMD often "overstates" performance and bases any media releases on controlled and manipulated tests to make it seem better than it is. I just hope that they haven't done this with Ryzen. I know there have been leaks etc on performance, but this has been done before and been proven wrong in independent real world testing.

I have to say I was surprised that Intel got the Karby Lake series out before AMDs Ryzen. All indicators in November hinted that Karby Lake would be February or even March and Ryzen would be in January. I guess Intel wanted to get a head start against AMD.

My fingers are crossed that Ryzen will be as good or better than Karby Lake at a cheaper price.

The big question is will swtor like Ryzen because it's hates all current AMD CPUs if you compare them to Intel ones.

I've been hearing some reports that AMD may hold off the release of Ryzen until the end of Q1. That means not till the end of March and possibly not till April.

It's one thing I dislike about AMD, they often hint at a time and then the launch goes way past the deadline that's been suggested. They did this with the Fury X and by the time they released it, Nvidia had release another generation that Fury couldn't beat.

While I love my Sapphire AMD cards I've used over the years, AMD often "overstates" performance and bases any media releases on controlled and manipulated tests to make it seem better than it is. I just hope that they haven't done this with Ryzen. I know there have been leaks etc on performance, but this has been done before and been proven wrong in independent real world testing.

I have to say I was surprised that Intel got the Karby Lake series out before AMDs Ryzen. All indicators in November hinted that Karby Lake would be February or even March and Ryzen would be in January. I guess Intel wanted to get a head start against AMD.

My fingers are crossed that Ryzen will be as good or better than Karby Lake at a cheaper price.

The big question is will swtor like Ryzen because it's hates all current AMD CPUs if you compare them to Intel ones.

Yeah a lot of the media around January release does seem to be rumour and innuendo so nothing solid as of yet.

Kaby lake is quite underwhelming really - just a tock with a boost to clock speeds ( and thus power consumption ). There does seem to be some nice improvement on the integrated graphics front with battery life for laptops but lets be honest - who cares in the gaming sector about that? On board graphics ... hah.

Ryzen SHOULD solve the AMD problem with single threaded games based on what's been released about it. No longer using a shared FPU and a big jump in IPC performance. As you say though that's all based on what AMD have said and released ... hence my waiting for real world results.

If they are on par with intel at the same price I'd probably go the zen path just because I believe in competition which is why I've got AMd for my last 2 video card upgrades also.

Well my best advice in that case then is wait until you have cash in hand and create a topic then ( reddit is good for this too ) that way advice can be based around current pricing so best bang for your bucks. :)

I guess as of right now you could fairly easily run a 1080 SLI rig with a i7 6700K for the $3K you want to spend with quite a bit left over depending on what sort of other bells and whistles you want e.g. SSD size, additional HDD storage, ram is easy n cheap, motherboard tricky too depending if you want to splash out for a fancy one with 7.1 surround or get a dedicated sound card ( in which case you can tone back the amount you spend on a M/B ).

Lots of options but for your budget you shouldn't have an issue with SLi/Crossfire top end cards and a top end cpu.

Well I might get lucky in around 3 to 4 weeks, and I got this parts list created for me for now. What do you think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KCWcyf

Well I might get lucky in around 3 to 4 weeks, and I got this parts list created for me for now. What do you think?

I'd be more inclined for this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gw4gCy

7700k - firstly no need for the 6 core you had before, you pretty much won't see any performance boost in gaming from it. Hell few games even utilitise 8 threads on the i7 fully right now. The 7700K is only slightly more expensive than the 6700k so might as well go new gen that they've pumped more overclocking power into.

Cooler - got best results in a 7700K overclock benchmark review I'd been reading - got them into the 5.0ghz club.

Motherboard - Z270 chipset obvious choice for overclock that 7700k. Motherboard gets nice reviews and is even capable of tri-sli if you ever wanted to give it a nudge.

Memory - not sure why people splash out insanely on "best brand with best speed" memory, the real world results are all but negligible. Quality memory at nice speed there - stretch to 32gig if you wanted but goal was to fit in 2 gpu's.

Storage - went with 2 512's ssd as opposed to the m.2, you just aren't going to see the speed boosts of m.2 to justify the price. Down from 1tb for cost savings ... I personally believe you don't want to use ssd for long term mass storage ( why would you? the speeds not going to help ) if anything you could throw another 250 in there for an o/s drive and have 2 other drives for installs/pagefile if you so wanted.

Video card - nice price and reliable cards that there are reviews you can actually read on of them running in sli.

Case - fits the cards, should fit the cooler ( height would be only thing I would check on before you buy but it fits the 240mm per the specs of the cooler ). Already has 1x rare 140 and 2 front 140's so left one on the page for another top one ... no idea why you had so many fans on there before. Ideas is to get airflow moving nicely through a box - some people just think more fans = more cooling but they get the directions all mixed up and you end up with hotspots where there shouldn't have been any.

You've already cooled the cpu with liquid so if cooling was a big concern i would look at doing a loop to the gpus but that's not something you use pcpartpicker for ( or the internet really )- you really need to have someone in person you can speak to and start planning out how everything is going to fit unless you've done that sort of thing before and know what to do. Space is the big issue with these sort of things but stretching to full tower can easily remedy that.

PSU slightly cheaper well rated psu - more than enough for the rig.

I have want to spend about $1250 next month on building a PC. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could run SWTOR on Ultra smoothly with 60 FPS on the Fleet.
AMD FX6300 Processor chip, 8 Gigs of ram, a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 mother board, One 456 GB SSD, one TB HDD, a 4gb Nvidia Graphics card, WIndows 10, Logitech G105 keyboard, a Logitech G600 Mouse, a Arctis 5 Headset, and a monitor of your choice. A Corsair 750 Powersource and a Corsair Case of your choice.

The processor is not a Intel, But it can run lots of resource heavy programs at once with decent speed (3.5 GHz).

PS: This is my pc build

AMD FX6300 Processor chip, 8 Gigs of ram, a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 mother board, One 456 GB SSD, one TB HDD, a 4gb Nvidia Graphics card, WIndows 10, Logitech G105 keyboard, a Logitech G600 Mouse, a Arctis 5 Headset, and a monitor of your choice. A Corsair 750 Powersource and a Corsair Case of your choice.

The processor is not a Intel, But it can run lots of resource heavy programs at once with decent speed (3.5 GHz).

PS: This is my pc build

DO NOT buy any older AMD processors for this game. Due to the shared FPU they have absolutely atrocious single core performance compared to Intel. Most "why is my FPS so **** - i've turned everything down" I see I then check specs and you see AMD processor and that answers that question.

Hopefully as previously explained Ryzen cpu's will solve this issue and AMD will once again become competitive across the board for gaming CPUs.

I'd be more inclined for this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gw4gCy

7700k - firstly no need for the 6 core you had before, you pretty much won't see any performance boost in gaming from it. Hell few games even utilitise 8 threads on the i7 fully right now. The 7700K is only slightly more expensive than the 6700k so might as well go new gen that they've pumped more overclocking power into.

Cooler - got best results in a 7700K overclock benchmark review I'd been reading - got them into the 5.0ghz club.

Motherboard - Z270 chipset obvious choice for overclock that 7700k. Motherboard gets nice reviews and is even capable of tri-sli if you ever wanted to give it a nudge.

Memory - not sure why people splash out insanely on "best brand with best speed" memory, the real world results are all but negligible. Quality memory at nice speed there - stretch to 32gig if you wanted but goal was to fit in 2 gpu's.

Storage - went with 2 512's ssd as opposed to the m.2, you just aren't going to see the speed boosts of m.2 to justify the price. Down from 1tb for cost savings ... I personally believe you don't want to use ssd for long term mass storage ( why would you? the speeds not going to help ) if anything you could throw another 250 in there for an o/s drive and have 2 other drives for installs/pagefile if you so wanted.

Video card - nice price and reliable cards that there are reviews you can actually read on of them running in sli.

Case - fits the cards, should fit the cooler ( height would be only thing I would check on before you buy but it fits the 240mm per the specs of the cooler ). Already has 1x rare 140 and 2 front 140's so left one on the page for another top one ... no idea why you had so many fans on there before. Ideas is to get airflow moving nicely through a box - some people just think more fans = more cooling but they get the directions all mixed up and you end up with hotspots where there shouldn't have been any.

You've already cooled the cpu with liquid so if cooling was a big concern i would look at doing a loop to the gpus but that's not something you use pcpartpicker for ( or the internet really )- you really need to have someone in person you can speak to and start planning out how everything is going to fit unless you've done that sort of thing before and know what to do. Space is the big issue with these sort of things but stretching to full tower can easily remedy that.

PSU slightly cheaper well rated psu - more than enough for the rig.

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

I went with the 6800k/6850k (someone offered me a good deal on the 6850k yesterday) because of all the video production and editing and I eventually want to do. Later on I want to dabble in SFX for my video game movies, and hopefully even CGI. The extra cores and thread would certainly help with that, and streaming too. This also explains the usage of the 32GB memory.

Those amount of fans are there because I'd be swapping them out with the stock fans from the AIO cooler and then go toward a push/pull config. Hopefully the case I originally linked has enough space, unless it doesn't, I get something bulkier, but wouldn't that mean I wouldn't need all those fans then?

When it comes to SLI vs. space for other things, then it goes more toward a what I want vs. what I need. I would like SLI, but it's surely not required and there may be other things that take precedent.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques

I know everyone has thrown their 2 cents worth in, but I wanted to not give advice but an observation from a system builders perspective.

For your future productions needs the i7 6850k will be nice.

I've had major issues with Corsair i100 cooler and have sent about 20 back for RMA. While the i110 has better RMA failures (only one at this stage). I've been turned off by Corsairs coolers.

I've installed a few Cryorig coolers and fingers crossed I've had none come back. Antec have been stable too.

Asus MB are my preferred brand due to quality and good RMA support. I've often been able to get advanced replacements before sending the faulty back.

I've also had more RMA problems with Corsair RAM and have switched to G.Skill exclusively unless a customer is really insistent on another brand.

Samsung and Intel make the most reliable SSDs, but Samsung has better speed.

WD make the best mechanical drives and have the best warranty support.

EVGA is rubbish in my opinion. I used to be a distributor of EVGA in Australia. The most RMAs I've every seen of any brand and the support is terrible (not sure about support in the US).

My go to brands for nVidia cards are Asus, MSI, Gigabyte (Gigabyte cards seem to have the lowest RMAs of the 3)

I do like Corsair cases, but not all. I wouldn't choose that case for a setup such as yours because of the internal heat generated in the case. More fans won't help. If you want some recommendations let me know because I've used lots of their cases.

Corsair fans are overrated and priced for what they do. My go to fans are the EK Vader fans for about the same price.

EVGA PSUs are also iffy and I wouldn't use them. My go to brand is Enermax.

If planning on adding a second graphics card for SLI in the future, consider a larger PSU than 750w because it gives you some extra head room, especially if you add more fans or drives. 850w should do, but 1000w would be ok too.

Anyway good luck with the build. I'm sure it will be a great rig which ever you decide.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

DO NOT buy any older AMD processors for this game. Due to the shared FPU they have absolutely atrocious single core performance compared to Intel. Most "why is my FPS so **** - i've turned everything down" I see I then check specs and you see AMD processor and that answers that question.

Hopefully as previously explained Ryzen cpu's will solve this issue and AMD will once again become competitive across the board for gaming CPUs.

I have to agree 100% with this assessment. Running current and previous generations of AMD CPUs is a terrible idea as swtor hates them. While they might be good desktop CPUs, they aren't up to scratch for gaming. Especially when an Intel i3 gives better performance.

Fingers crossed for Ryzen

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

I went with the 6800k/6850k (someone offered me a good deal on the 6850k yesterday) because of all the video production and editing and I eventually want to do. Later on I want to dabble in SFX for my video game movies, and hopefully even CGI. The extra cores and thread would certainly help with that, and streaming too. This also explains the usage of the 32GB memory.

Those amount of fans are there because I'd be swapping them out with the stock fans from the AIO cooler and then go toward a push/pull config. Hopefully the case I originally linked has enough space, unless it doesn't, I get something bulkier, but wouldn't that mean I wouldn't need all those fans then?

When it comes to SLI vs. space for other things, then it goes more toward a what I want vs. what I need. I would like SLI, but it's surely not required and there may be other things that take precedent.

Each to their own. My thoughts with your concept of business is you would want any edge you can get and thus you want the best graphics in game money can buy ( or as close to it as you can afford ) since that's always an extra selling point of "look how damn awesome this game looks on SLI 1080's" etc. as opposed to a more standardized build many people have and stream/create videos on.

The extra threads will certainly save you time on compiling video's but that's about it really, CGI too in time. If those are factors I would really think about holding out for Ryzen though - most people are questioning how it will go game wise and especially single threaded performance compared to previous generations but seeing what you want to achieve ( and AMD cpus were actually good for video production to begin with, they just didn't work wel lfor gaming in a $ for $ sense compared to Intel ) I would be tempted to wait for the 8 core Ryzen ...

As to the fans ... hard to judge without seeing things in action. I personally would build it stock ( with the best cooler you can get which I liked about the one I linked because it was one of few that allowed the CPU in the review to reach over 5Ghz stable ) and see what temps and airflow are like from there and adjust accordingly.

Fans are cheap to pick up after all and you wouldn't want to be in a situation where you put it all together and temps aren't where you want them and have to work backwards removing things. Much easier to work with that stock baseline and go from there.

I just finished building a system for an engineer who uses his PC for CAD and graphics rendering. He is also an avid gamer.

Money was no object to him as he's on a massive salary and he claims the cost back on tax anyway.

So he decided to go all out and put in an nVidia Quadro card, specifically the P6000 which has 24gb of memory. Normally I wouldn't recommend a Quadro card for gaming as it uses different drivers and firmware so that nVidia keep the ranges seperate and they can charge more for professional graphics cards. But the performance of the new Quadro cards is so good that they overcome that issue.

So if money is no object and people need a system for graphics work and gaming, they no longer need two systems.

Here's the link the customer convinced me with.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-quadro-p6000-gaming-benchmarks/

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I just finished building a system for an engineer who uses his PC for CAD and graphics rendering. He is also an avid gamer.

Money was no object to him as he's on a massive salary and he claims the cost back on tax anyway.

So he decided to go all out and put in an nVidia Quadro card, specifically the P6000 which has 24gb of memory. Normally I wouldn't recommend a Quadro card for gaming as it uses different drivers and firmware so that nVidia keep the ranges seperate and they can charge more for professional graphics cards. But the performance of the new Quadro cards is so good that they overcome that issue.

So if money is no object and people need a system for graphics work and gaming, they no longer need two systems.

Here's the link the customer convinced me with.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-quadro-p6000-gaming-benchmarks/

Wish I had that kind of money. Thankfully something like the i7-6850k is more than enough. I'm gonna see how things go at the end of the month. If I can get a gaming/cinematography PC I might just wait till the Ryzen and then see where things go from there.

Wish I had that kind of money. Thankfully something like the i7-6850k is more than enough. I'm gonna see how things go at the end of the month. If I can get a gaming/cinematography PC I might just wait till the Ryzen and then see where things go from there.

I just wish they'd release Ryzen or at least give a firm date on when it will be released. Ive got customers holding off on new gaming systems while they wait for Ryzen. But some would just upgrade to an Intel rig if AMD were to come out say it won't be till the end of March. I just hope Ryzen is worth the wait and is a good price and has equal performance to Intel.