Low D Textures

OneTribe

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fairly easy to see that the high resolution textures have been disabled.

In-game, change your texture quality to low, hit apply. -> changes to low res.

Now change it to medium, hit apply. -> changes to medium (what we are currently seeing).

Now change it to high, hit apply. -> No change. The screen doesn't even refresh like the previous two settings changes.

In fact, it can even be replicated in the ini settings itself.

Using anything other than 1 and 0 for texture quality actually removes the textures entirely.

The textures themselves are obviously included in the client; because they are used at character creation and during dialogue sequences.

I notice the patch notes say that video settings will now be properly reflected by the in-game graphics. Bunch of people complaining on the PTR that their performance mysteriously worsened, too.

Wonder if it's fixed now?

EDIT - eh, nevermind. Just went and checked the PTR forum again and apparently the textures are still stuck on medium. Meh.

Edited by Rimbaldo

guess my computer is better than yours because the game looks better than all the other mmo's out there aside from maxed out age of conan. Cry more.

Lol @ U, i guarantee my rig is better than yours and relatively speaking this game looks horrid. Everything is maxed and I get 60 fps, game looks bad period. Lemme guess ur playing this in stereo 3d too becuz ur rig is so good right?

I notice the patch notes say that video settings will now be properly reflected by the in-game graphics. Bunch of people complaining on the PTR that their performance mysteriously worsened, too.

Wonder if it's fixed now?

EDIT - eh, nevermind. Just went and checked the PTR forum again and apparently the textures are still stuck on medium. Meh.

Check the known issues people.. goodness sakes. There is a workaround for the graphics setting issue...

Alright, now I am upset. Patch 1.0.2 did nothing to fix this issue. Bioware now posts the following in their known issues:

"Upon launch, graphics preferences will always display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.

Workaround: Individual preferences will display properly once modified and saved."

The above does not seem to help or even refer to the problem we are all experiencing. So, I will reiterate it: There are no high res textures outside of cutscenes.

TO BIOWARE:

All you have to do is report this issue in your "Known In-Game Issues" thread, and I will stop bumping posts. Until this happens, I can only assume that you are ignoring this issue or simply do not have a handle on what your customers are experiencing. Furthermore, a simple response buried in a thread will not suffice. I need to see that you are seriously addressing this issue. I need to see it listed here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5533 or in a future known issues thread. A list of threads detailing the high res textures issue can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91723

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if this will help anyone, I hope it does.

I was using my laptop with the screen open and TOR on the external (larger) monitor.

I noticed when gaming on the laptop monitor the texture problem didn't happen. I've now closed the lid of the laptop and am using only the external monitor and now my textures are fine.

If people are using multi-monitor it may be worth disconnecting one just to see if it sorts it out? You never know...?

• 5 years later...
necro magic???

The game engine switching from high res to low res textures on characters completely and random and rather frequently isnt going anywhere either.

Not sure it's that random.

From what I saw it depends on how close you are to the other characters and the number of characters and polys the client engine has to render.

Interesting enough on my rig with a 1080 gtx and and i7-6700k I still keep getting low textures even with FPS through the roof.

Edited by Deewe

Since this thread has risen from the dead, almost six years on many of the textures still look pretty sub-par at best. Things are better in the new expansions, but still not all that great.

It would go a long way to improving the look of the game if better, high-res textures could be implemented across the board. One would presume that today's computers would be able to handle them much better than ones from the original release.

And yes, the clipping is still really annoying.

necro magic???

The game engine switching from high res to low res textures on characters completely and random and rather frequently isnt going anywhere either.

You mean the texture flicker from high to low issue that certain cards are afflicted with ? - http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-Texture-Flickering-High-to-Low/m-p/4867480

Edited by OwenBrooks