The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Light whip

Jaareth

NO.

It would be a pain for them to animate it and it wouldn't fit either type of lightsaber. you have a better chance of them making a rancor mount than you have of them making these abominations that should never have been allowed to become "canon".

I can't see the problem with it, as said it is cannon. It's hardly an abomination. It's just a flexible energy weapon. While it would be a lot of work to add in, it's something they could charge people for, and SWTOR is as far as I know still not a charity. Also rancor riding is a thing. It's in some of the novels, probably some of the books, they even have an old miniature of someone riding a rancor.

On Rancor as mounts;

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shaak_Ti%27s_rancor

On all occasions where people are mentionned riding rancor however, there is heavy implication that they make use of the Force to tame these beasts.

More on subject;

On Lightwhip

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Now, despite what some people might imagine, the whip part of the weapon is actually made of material in order to direct the energy beam in the movement of a whip.

However, the reason this -wouldn't- be easy to implement is because unlike adding a new type of straight bladed lightsaber, you would need to not only animate the weapon itself, but re-animate every single attack for this specific weapon. A lot of complication for a weapon which ultimate efficiency came from its exotic and rare appearance. Its secondary advantage, that is its longer reach, seems complicated to do unless we make the Lightwhip into a whole new category of weapon with its own range instead of a mere lightsaber skin - meaning even more work at balancing the weapon, etc.

Now I speak this from mostly personal thoughts, but that'd be the challenges I'd think would be faced by such a weapon type.

Oh, I understood the point being made with the Rancor example, I just don't particularly see why I should take seriously your claim regarding them never making light whips . I really doubt you have any more or less knowledge than me of if they'll eventually be added to the game. I think it would be a cool thing if they added them. I'm sorry you find them abominable, though I think you might want to not have such strong convictions about a Star Wars weapon type. Even if they are added in, I'm sure you wouldn't have to use one.

• 1 month later...
there are two problems with a Lightwhip, first is animating it in such a manner that it doesn't make you want to kill the animator. Second is that it's almost as dangerous to the user as an enemy, because real whips will run along the user at various points, and a lightwhip would cut them to ribbons as it did.

there are two problems with a Lightwhip, first is animating it in such a manner that it doesn't make you want to kill the animator. Second is that it's almost as dangerous to the user as an enemy, because real whips will run along the user at various points, and a lightwhip would cut them to ribbons as it did.

Well if you've noticed at times we type on consoles with active sabers in our hands, have them activate while riding our speeders if we get near an enemy, and various other silliness so I think we can suspend our believe to some extent =p Anyway, light whip practitioners in lore used them without issue because of their Force training, same as 99% of all other saber users of and kind, so I'm sure it would be fine.

The big problem is the animations. It would add an interesting dynamic though as the range will likely be higher, but the new class and skill tree built around it shouldn't have the option of Force Leaping in the same way I wouldn't think.

if it exist in lore, put it in the game....simple. Aren't you all tired of basically looking the same and or paying millions of credits, cartel coins and for some real life money to look different than the person that just spawned next to you. Stop fighting customization. Sure it may take some time to make it work but raise your hand if you'll stop playing. And just to light the flames even more how about not limiting characters to melee or ranged. I'm not saying giving a smuggler a lightsaber or a jedi a canon but if you can accomplish this with the companions why not try...at least try... to figure out a system for player created characters. And if it was tried before then guess what, give it another go. Edited by WizzDilla