The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unbind CM certs!

AeneousClaw

I feel that Cartel Market Certificates being bound to legacy is an issue, because due to RNG it is very common that people will have extremely bad luck getting them - I've heard of people getting maximum rep before they even had 3 or 4 (which already takes multiple hypercrates) and therefore would have to waste a lot of repuation tokens if they kept trying for enough certifications for Revans mask or a hoverchair. It's just plain unfair to have people buying and opening hundreds of packs and not even having the ability to get that one item they want. This would also help those who have good luck and got a few certificates, but don't want to waste all the money trying to get a reputation item. I do realize that by doing this Bioware would probably lose a bit of cash from people wasting all their money on hypercrates for certs... but then again, by not doing this they are pissing those people off. Edited by AeneousClaw

Stating that it is extremely rare or difficult to get these is a bit of a stretch with only anecdotal evidence. Bioware will have the ultimate stats on how many people have received them at what rates and vs how many packs someone has purchased. I see no reason to allow these to be unbound, they are reward points for purchasing items off the CM. If you do not purchase items, there should be no reason to have these certificates.

Stating that it is extremely rare or difficult to get these is a bit of a stretch with only anecdotal evidence. Bioware will have the ultimate stats on how many people have received them at what rates and vs how many packs someone has purchased. I see no reason to allow these to be unbound, they are reward points for purchasing items off the CM. If you do not purchase items, there should be no reason to have these certificates.

The average doesn't really matter, the amount of outliers do. My point is that even if 90/100 people get 10 or more certificates by the time they get Legend, you still have ten really pissed off people. Pretty much the only way to fix this would to guarantee a certificate drop after you open a certain amount of packs without getting one, make them tradable, or increase the chances...

I've looked on /r/swtor and seen that I'm not the only one that has had this issue. It's very possible to open 2 hypercrates and only get 1 certificate in all the packs.

The average doesn't really matter, the amount of outliers do. My point is that even if 90/100 people get 10 or more certificates by the time they get Legend, you still have ten really pissed off people. Pretty much the only way to fix this would to guarantee a certificate drop after you open a certain amount of packs without getting one, make them tradable, or increase the chances...

I've looked on /r/swtor and seen that I'm not the only one that has had this issue. It's very possible to open 2 hypercrates and only get 1 certificate in all the packs.

See thats not how random works, in a normal distribution you have 90% of the people falling within the +/-5% of the expected distribution. Meaning if they expect a person who opens a crate to have between 4-6 certificates, 90% would fall within roughly that range, the other 5% might fall within the 2-3 and 5% might fall within the 7-8. but as you purchase more, you start to fall within the normal range.

You have no idea what the distribution is, and you have no idea what expected rate is. The intent is to get people to spend money, buying one or two hypercates is in most cases, minor. Start buying 1 or 2 hypercates a week, multiple crates per pack and you start to see what their intended audience for the certificates is.

I personally could care less about the people that by a crate and expect mulitple ultra rares, full legend rep, AND large numbers of certificates... Random is random.

/thread

See thats not how random works, in a normal distribution you have 90% of the people falling within the +/-5% of the expected distribution. Meaning if they expect a person who opens a crate to have between 4-6 certificates, 90% would fall within roughly that range, the other 5% might fall within the 2-3 and 5% might fall within the 7-8. but as you purchase more, you start to fall within the normal range.

You have no idea what the distribution is, and you have no idea what expected rate is. The intent is to get people to spend money, buying one or two hypercates is in most cases, minor. Start buying 1 or 2 hypercates a week, multiple crates per pack and you start to see what their intended audience for the certificates is.

I personally could care less about the people that by a crate and expect mulitple ultra rares, full legend rep, AND large numbers of certificates... Random is random.

/thread

Regardless of what you say about probability, the fact is there will ALWAYS be people who spend $100 on hypercrates and don't get enough certs for a single mask, which only purpose is cosmetic. And if you're telling me BioWare intended it to be that people are spending hundreds of dollars on this game every month, then they don't know crap about business (and I know that isn't true). An average player is probably never even going to have enough CC or credits for two hypercrates, even if they make coin purchases. So, if someone is dedicated enough to buy four, then I would expect that they would at least get the ability to exchange their certs for something good. The whole purpose of the Cartel Reputation system is for people who have really bad luck getting items from packs.

Edited by AeneousClaw

I think a compromise is in order.

Have them unbound, but you need to be at legendary rep to use them. It still encourages people to buy the packs because they still need the rep items, but it also means that if you've been unlucky and got all the way to legendary without getting enough certs for what you want, you won't be wasting loads more points on packs when they could be spent on something else you want.

This isn't going to lose EA/BW too much in the way of income, and even if it does, the people who are going to stop paying it are the ones that have already spent a fortune in the CM getting that far.

Wow - just curious how many packs have you bought? I have bought a total of 54 and only have 6.

i'm right around 100 i believe, and yes I do spend a lot on hypercrates and packs. I have full legend on both reps. I ended up tossing a hypercrates worth of rep, before they allowed you to sell them.

I just haven't found anything that I like to spend my certificates on as of yet.