Notes from GS beta: Joystick Experiment

GalacticKegger

The last few weeks mixing it up with the Regulators has been a hair-pulling, gut-wrenching, teeth-clenching and occasionally frustrating experience ... I loved every minute of it! Was a real pleasure testing and communicating with people whose feedback was thorough and unbiased.

I found the mouse+keyboard flight control response was excellent and felt natural after taking a couple WZs to get the hang of it. For those fighting carpal tunnel I highly recommend wearing a wrist brace on your mouse hand. GS is addicting as hell but hard on the joints after a while. Which is why I experimented with a joystick: the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. While the mouse+keyboard flight controls allow for wide open maneuverability (strafing included), the mouselook flight control functions in GS are not fully replicated in keybinds.

According to Logitech, "Unfortunately, it's not possible to assign mouse axis to the Extreme 3D Pro Joystick. Mouse axis can only be assigned to the mini joysticks on Logitech gamepads." So I couldn't map them. In trying to meet all of dev's objectives I didn't get to experiment with mapping GS keybinds to my gamepad. I'll try that on the PTS.

So for Logitech users, joysticks are a no-go for now. There are some Saitek and Thrustmaster flight control systems that do allow for mouselook function mapping. Would be great to hear from players who use those during PT.

Probably the greatest consideration with incorporating any external controller into the game imho is fairness. Every function that is independently available using a controller MUST also be independently available using mouse & keyboard and visa verse; leaving the only true advantage to be based on personal ergonomic preference and not on UID functionality. Which is why we probably won't see controller integration at release.

Edited by GalacticKegger

This is why I hope they didn't leave out joystick/gamepad controls because of "Fairness" it never works, just like leaving out macros, now everyone with a Logitech/naga mouse or keyboard has macros and anyone without them doesn't or has to run autohotkey.

So is it possible to use the joysticks of Saitek/Thrustmaster if they have the mouse look options?
In theory yes, though to my knowledge no one tested those specific manufacturers' products in beta. I'm sure someone will when it hits the PTS however. At least I hope so.

An issue that may likely crop up even IF mouselook could be mapped is the number of functions GS has (almost 30) versus the number of buttons and switches on the controller. If it requires $800 worth of controller to be able use every function in GS on the same level as the mouse+keyboard combination can, then there probably won't be joystick support from Bioware.

I also have an old Saitek combat controller system (with the emphasis on old) I may try. Gonna focus on gamepad compatibility first though. I'm more interested in seeing how the game outside of GS responds with the controller's profile activated and running in the background after leaving a WZ with mouselook still mapped.

Edited by GalacticKegger

This is why I hope they didn't leave out joystick/gamepad controls because of "Fairness" it never works, just like leaving out macros, now everyone with a Logitech/naga mouse or keyboard has macros and anyone without them doesn't or has to run autohotkey.

Instead of "fairness", I would prefer they focus on "quality". As an X-Wing/Tie Fighter vet from a long time ago, its hard to imagine a space combat sim with no joystick support. I went out and bought a new joystick just to play those two games. I would do the same with no hesitation if the new expansion supported joysticks.

In theory yes, though to my knowledge no one tested those specific manufacturers' products in beta. I'm sure someone will when it hits the PTS however. At least I hope so.

An issue that may likely crop up even IF mouselook could be mapped is the number of functions GS has (almost 30) versus the number of buttons and switches on the controller. If it requires $800 worth of controller to be able use every function in GS on the same level as the mouse+keyboard combination can, then there probably won't be joystick support from Bioware.

I also have an old Saitek combat controller system (with the emphasis on old) I may try. Gonna focus on gamepad compatibility first though. I'm more interested in seeing how the game outside of GS responds with the controller's profile activated and running in the background after leaving a WZ with mouselook still mapped.

Thanks for the answer. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Instead of "fairness", I would prefer they focus on "quality". As an X-Wing/Tie Fighter vet from a long time ago, its hard to imagine a space combat sim with no joystick support. I went out and bought a new joystick just to play those two games. I would do the same with no hesitation if the new expansion supported joysticks.

Amen!