Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ravage root vs Unstoppable

psybernetic

Is anyone else concerned that a 4 second Unstoppable buff + a root on Ravage is only going to exacerbate the current issue where melee have incredible amounts of gap closers, snares and roots already in comparison to ranged classes' general lack of escape mechanisms? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of both Carnage and Vengeance having a root on the skill, but current Unstoppable + Ravage root = overkill. Looking at this issue as a sorc main, jugg alt, but the combination seems overly strong vs other classes, too, notably if escape tools are on cooldown.

Is anyone else concerned that a 4 second Unstoppable buff + a root on Ravage is only going to exacerbate the current issue where melee have incredible amounts of gap closers, snares and roots already in comparison to ranged classes' general lack of escape mechanisms? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of both Carnage and Vengeance having a root on the skill, but current Unstoppable + Ravage root = overkill. Looking at this issue as a sorc main, jugg alt, but the combination seems overly strong vs other classes, too, notably if escape tools are on cooldown.

If unstoppable were tied to a short cooldown ability like enrage, as well as having the immunity extended by 1 second, it would help PvE vengeance immeasurably while also reducing the total uptime of the immunity (can't be used in pvp on every single charge).

It would also add a tactical element to the immunity like how hydraulic overrides interacts with advanced prototype (a spec also dependent on a channel).

I'm not sure how I feel about on demand stun immunity though.

Edited by Marb

If unstoppable were tied to a short cooldown ability like enrage, as well as having the immunity extended by 1 second, it would help PvE vengeance immeasurably while also reducing the total uptime of the immunity (can't be used in pvp on every single charge).

It would also add a tactical element to the immunity like how hydraulic overrides interacts with advanced prototype (a spec also dependent on a channel).

I'm not sure how I feel about on demand stun immunity though.

I'm curious as to how a 5s duration would help in pve, no sarcasm. In pvp, Vengeance is a very good pressure spec against sorcs because of its high physical damage and the difficulty in shaking a well-played jugg, so 5s would be a rather serious buff, even if it were an on-demand ability. As far as the concern about an on-demand stun immunity goes, they could simply remove that part of it and make it more like hydraulic overrides. Physics immunity is a potent ability in this game vs ranged, as anyone can really tell.

I'm curious as to how a 5s duration would help in pve, no sarcasm. In pvp, Vengeance is a very good pressure spec against sorcs because of its high physical damage and the difficulty in shaking a well-played jugg, so 5s would be a rather serious buff, even if it were an on-demand ability. As far as the concern about an on-demand stun immunity goes, they could simply remove that part of it and make it more like hydraulic overrides. Physics immunity is a potent ability in this game vs ranged, as anyone can really tell.

Sorry, there are a couple of things I'm mixing up here. If unstoppable were tied to an instant ability, 4 seconds is fine, but unstoppable in its current form should be lengthened by 1 second (0.5 could be enough). Increasing the immunity to 5 seconds is to provide the entire ravage channel protection, as at the moment adding in the gcd from leap means that the last tick of ravage is never protected by unstoppable (a player who is aware of this will hit you with a soft cc just before the last tick). This will continue to be a vulnerability with the root on ravage buff coming in 2.5.

AP can use HO to protect their cast when it's in danger of being interrupted by physics, Vengeance has no such on-demand protection. The mechanic is there, but it's tied to force charge, which means that unstoppable does nothing for PvE. The idea here is to provide the immunity as part of a separate ability to mirror HO like you said.

Coming back to your original concern, Vengeance is a spec that must channel in melee range to do its damage. Providing roots, snares and cc protection are essential for the spec to perform, which WILL have a negative impact on the overall PvP environment (which has an overabundance of stuns, roots and snares already). The spec, and specs like it, would have to be redesigned, otherwise they will continue to necessitate the presence of snares, roots and physics protection just to make them competitive alternatives.

Edited by Marb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.