The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Temporary solution to Wndows 8 & Windows 8.1

fraterphoenix

The ones working on this needs to get this fixed. More and more computers have Windows 8.1 already. The temporary solution is to know how to change a dynamic disk to a basic one. One can use partition software, but one really needs to know what is going on just in case of complications. Once one can change to a basic disk, then one can partition the disk and duel boot. A dynamic disk cannot duel boot. That means one cannot install Windows 8 along side Windows 7. I do not think one can instal Windows 7 on a computer that has Windows 8 already. That is an complex thing to install an older version of an operating system over a newer one. If the SWTOR game cannot work with Windows 8.1 soon, then we all can kiss the game good bye. Free or not, how can we play it if we cannot log into it?

The ones working on this needs to get this fixed. More and more computers have Windows 8.1 already. The temporary solution is to know how to change a dynamic disk to a basic one. One can use partition software, but one really needs to know what is going on just in case of complications. Once one can change to a basic disk, then one can partition the disk and duel boot. A dynamic disk cannot duel boot. That means one cannot install Windows 8 along side Windows 7. I do not think one can instal Windows 7 on a computer that has Windows 8 already. That is an complex thing to install an older version of an operating system over a newer one. If the SWTOR game cannot work with Windows 8.1 soon, then we all can kiss the game good bye. Free or not, how can we play it if we cannot log into it?

what?

The game works fine with windows 8.1 and I love windows 8.

If works fine is you had it installed on Windows 7 and upgraded it to a Windows 8, but if you do a restore and try to install Windows 8 and upgrade to a 8.1, the launcher will say cannot log in. I have tried all the remedies on the community but nothing. Read other commits and complaints regarding Windows 8 with the game. No, Windows 8 is not equal to Windows 7 regarding this. That is why I have a duel boot of both on my computer, but if users do not know how change a dynamic drive to a basic one, then duel booting is impossible. If one has Windows 8 on their computer to begin with, then they cannot duel boot Windows 7. In order to duel book the older OS must install first and the higher/new one.

I have tried the compatibility mode on SWTOR under Windows 7. I am not the only one to post bugs and issues about Windows 8.1 and SWTOR. These issues could (but no smoking guns) be bugs with in Windows 8.1. If I remember right, Windows 7 and their SP1 packs had a lot of random issues that frustrated others. There are remedies that were posted to solve the Windows 8.1 issues, but they did nothing for me. What happened was the launcher would not allow me to even type in order to log in. Either the launcher needs to be updated to work with Windows 8.1 or just needs to be updated. The three DVDs of the game used the old Email and password as log ins. I can understand how old software can be an issue in connecting. Other games like Starcraft II has fixed this. The software I bought would not log in due to server changes and all the rest. After I downloaded the newer version, everything worked. Most importantly the SWTOR only shows the system requirements up to Windows 7. Again, if the game is installed under Windows 8 and works, then one updates to Windows 8.1 the game may work without any issues. This is also the case for Windows 7 and updating to Windows 8. It is the restoring (reformatting) a computer, and one installs SWTOR on a Windows 8.1 platform, things could different. Hard to see this for a layman's point of view, but for a technical person like my self (eight years at Lanier Technical College in Oakwood, GA under a certificate and three diplomas in the computer field), I see a big difference. Like Obi-wan said, "Most of the truths we cling to are told to a certain point of view."

Going back to my original message: for ones with issues with SWTOR and Windows 8.1 (which I read a fair good many complaints and esquires to get this fixed for some time now), I have given my feedback on a possible temporary solution for ones that have Windows 7 per-installed to duel boot Windows 8.1. The big road block is to know how to or use a software in order to convert a dynamic disk to a basic one in order to duel boot. As many have learned--one cannot duel boot on a dynamic disk.