The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companion armor that levels with you

(Sorry, I posted this in general suggestions too, before I saw this sub-forum. Couldn't figure out how to move the post, soooo I'll just repost it. :) )

A cartel market item that I would definitely buy would be a bundle of armor for each of your class companions that increases in power as you level.

It's a pain in the butt to keep companions geared, and for those missions where you're forced to use a companion (or companions) that you don't normally use, you're basically forced to detour to the GTN or grind up planetary comms to gear them enough so you can just get through the mission.

What I'm proposing is a set of armor for each of your class companions that would always be the equivalent of a piece of green armor for your current level. That way, your companions always have at least a basic level of gear, and you would still be able to increase their power by finding them blue or purple armor/mods.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd spend real dollars on items like this.

Not trying to be rude but it isn't "general suggestions" it's just general - as in topics. Suggestions are here.

That said; you need to see that the economy needs money sinks. If in real life we could just farm cash like we can farm mobs in an mmo - inflation would raise prices to the sky. What I'm getting at is that in any economy the creation of money without the destruction of money causes what money there is to become worth less (and eventually worthless). Ways of removing money from the economy NEED to exist in mmos for a number of factors, but one of the biggest is this monitory evaluation. Having to buy new gear for your companion is one of SWTOR's money sinks. Sadly there are not enough sinks. Prices have been rising, and the idea of a "buy once and forget armor" would just kill another money sink - raising prices more.

An example of a lost money sink would be mounts. You used to have to buy a mount to use each new "level" of speed after paying for the ability to use that speed (90%,100%,110% respectively). No sane person wasted the in game credits to get the old fixed speed mounts. One sink down....

I hope this helps.

Not trying to be rude but it isn't "general suggestions" it's just general - as in topics. Suggestions are here.

That said; you need to see that the economy needs money sinks. If in real life we could just farm cash like we can farm mobs in an mmo - inflation would raise prices to the sky. What I'm getting at is that in any economy the creation of money without the destruction of money causes what money there is to become worth less (and eventually worthless). Ways of removing money from the economy NEED to exist in mmos for a number of factors, but one of the biggest is this monitory evaluation. Having to buy new gear for your companion is one of SWTOR's money sinks. Sadly there are not enough sinks. Prices have been rising, and the idea of a "buy once and forget armor" would just kill another money sink - raising prices more.

An example of a lost money sink would be mounts. You used to have to buy a mount to use each new "level" of speed after paying for the ability to use that speed (90%,100%,110% respectively). No sane person wasted the in game credits to get the old fixed speed mounts. One sink down....

I hope this helps.

That's why I'm suggesting that the armor only be the equivalent of a green of your current level. Green armor is nothing special, and if you plan to do a lot of the endgame content especially, you need to have your companions in blues and purples. There would still be plenty of incentive for people to upgrade the companions that they used the most.

It would also be nice to be able to give companions gear that looked like it was made for them specifically. As you quest, you gain bits of non-moddable green gear as quest rewards, that are tailored for that companion. So by the end of one planet, if you did every quest, you could have your companion in a completely new outfit that was made for them alone.

EA/Bioware is constantly looking for more ways to squeeze money out of us through the cartel market. So I'm just telling them that this is one thing that I would definitely pay cartel coins for. That is, after all, what the cartel market suggestion box is for.

I hope this helps.

That's why I'm suggesting that the armor only be the equivalent of a green of your current level. Green armor is nothing special, and if you plan to do a lot of the endgame content especially, you need to have your companions in blues and purples. There would still be plenty of incentive for people to upgrade the companions that they used the most.

It would also be nice to be able to give companions gear that looked like it was made for them specifically. As you quest, you gain bits of non-moddable green gear as quest rewards, that are tailored for that companion. So by the end of one planet, if you did every quest, you could have your companion in a completely new outfit that was made for them alone.

EA/Bioware is constantly looking for more ways to squeeze money out of us through the cartel market. So I'm just telling them that this is one thing that I would definitely pay cartel coins for. That is, after all, what the cartel market suggestion box is for.

I hope this helps.

It does thanks. It's utility with it being only "green" would have you hoping into it and back out of it fairly regularly I'd wager. What it looks like, if that wager is true, really wouldn't matter to anyone but RPers. I don't thing many would find it worthwhile to buy. Given how very little people use companions outside of a select few I am wary that there isn't really a market for "non-ideal" companions to have "gear that looked like it was made for them specifically."

Hey I could be wrong. This would still reduce the credit sink of buying new gear for your companions. Which in general would be harmful to the economy of the game. Sure who does like the idea of individualizing your swtor experience?

Are you suggesting BW make a ton of unique looks so that no two match with these "self leveling greens"?

It does thanks. It's utility with it being only "green" would have you hoping into it and back out of it fairly regularly I'd wager. What it looks like, if that wager is true, really wouldn't matter to anyone but RPers. I don't thing many would find it worthwhile to buy. Given how very little people use companions outside of a select few I am wary that there isn't really a market for "non-ideal" companions to have "gear that looked like it was made for them specifically."

Hey I could be wrong. This would still reduce the credit sink of buying new gear for your companions. Which in general would be harmful to the economy of the game. Sure who does like the idea of individualizing your swtor experience?

Are you suggesting BW make a ton of unique looks so that no two match with these "self leveling greens"?

Wow, passive aggressive much? But okay. What I'm suggesting is that each companion be given a specific set of armor tailored for them, that levels with them. You seem to be upset by the thought of someone having a companion who looks exactly like yours, forgetting that there are already companions that you can't do anything about this with like Khem Val and Bowdaar and whatnot. Sure there are different appearance mods, but other people can buy those, too. Does that bother you as well?

I don't think that offering packs of companion armor via the cartel market would destabilize the economy as much as you think it would. There are plenty of other things for people to sink credits into already.

You don't have to agree with this idea. But this is a suggestion box, and I'm going to feel free to make suggestions. If you don't like it, that's fine. There are plenty of other threads for you to troll.

Real bad idea. It hurts crafting and the economy.

Pretty much what I have to say about this, as well. Planetary comms are easy to come by, I regularly get overflow with my alts. If you don't like PuG flashpoint daily/weekly quests, Green mods and gear are dirt-cheap.

Edited by Helig

I made a post a long time ago about something for companions, but it was a bit different to this.

My suggestion was that Armormech could make companion armour kits, that comprised of all 7 pieces, at around every 5 or 10 levels or so. I just feel it would be a good addition to the game.

You need the mods to put in those.And that's assuming everyone has a set unlocked.

Meh.... most of the armor collection fees aren't too bad. Leveling companion armor would be bad for the economy.

Besides CC armor, Rep armor is very good. It might cost ya, but it's worth it if you pass the credits from your old characters

I think it's a safe suggestion, having some green equivalent self leveling armorer shouldn't do any harm to the game. I can see a lot of potential abuse for it, but really if it is a very limiting wardrobe, say just basic faction armor or street clothes, most players will prefer to by modifiable armor anyway. Or of course it could be produced in mass with lots of different styles, and be made equivalent to purple, but have a promote option for cartel coins/credits, that raise it up to the level wanted. I suppose it would be a bit of a bite for crafters, but it would make having a fully geared team manageable.