[Carnage] That good old Crit vs Power dilemma

Kawabonga

I just wanted to share some testing i did this morning after the millionth thread i saw about this. I calculated the time i had before the patch and decided to go for 10 parses, 5 with no crit and 5 with 24% crit.

All the parses are done with a prototype nano-infused stim, bloodthirst at the start and no adrenals/clicky relics. They all contain a few mistakes, lots of RNG hate and a few ghost GCDs. I think in that respect they should even out.

Power build

AMR Profile

-Damage (Pri): 1498.7 - 1749.7

-Damage (Sec): 379.5 - 569.6

-Bonus Damage: 995.7

-Accuracy: 102.52%

-Critical Chance: 18.66%

-Critical Multiplier: 70.68%

Link to parses

-Lowest: 2697 dps (<--- Was damned by the RNG gods)

-Average: 2735 dps

-Highest: 2773 dps

24% crit build

AMR Profile

-Damage (Pri): 1434.2 - 1685.2

-Damage (Sec): 379.5 - 569.6

-Bonus Damage: 931.2

-Accuracy: 101.31%

-Critical Chance: 24.07%

-Critical Multiplier: 73.05%

Link to parses

-Lowest: 2751 dps (+54)

-Average: 2805 dps (+70)

-Highest: 2937 dps (+164) (<--- Was blessed by the RNG gods)

I'm pretty sure the unexpected result can be explained by the fact that i had to swap 69 power+surge enhancements with 72 crit+surge enhancements to go for the crit build, as well as a useless 78 accuracy enhancement i don't have a power+surge enhancement to replace with.

I still believe that power > crit, but i don't think crit is as bad as most people preach. Because of the mk-2 drops in operations, high level crit+surge enhancements are much easier to find than power+surge, and in the end, it's the surge that matters most, so if you're not a super marauder that has full dread forged gear already, do go for power, but if a higher level than what you have crit enhancement presents itself to you don't be so ready to dismiss it, take the poor fellow into consideration.

Edited by Kawabonga

Interesting to see. However it would be easier to see the true difference by keeping all other stats at the same point.

Surge and accuracy both vary in those two build, so we cannot limit the effect to it.

Otherwise I'll agree I'll take high crit over low power while gearing, especially some spec with ressource generations or proc on crits. Nice QoL to get some slight crit rating there.

Well from my findings (considering carnage/combat), at 0 crit in 72-78 gear, one point of crit is worth the equivalent of 0.9 points of power, so technically a 69 enhancement with power is worse than a 72 enhancement with crit. Keep in mind that with every additional point in crit, this ratio gets worse. At 150 crit you only get 0.8 per power and at 300 0.7 per power.

This means, as 78 enhancements roughly have 20% more stats than 72 mods, that you can swap them until a crit rating of 150 and still have positive benefits (2 enhancements max)

Unlettered mods, on the other hand have around 20% more mainstat AND 20% more secondary so you can even swap 72 power for 78 crit up to around 300 crit. Same for implants and earpieces (4 mods max or a combination of 2 enhancements/2 mods or 1 enchancement/3 mods).

There is no question that the BiS is a full power build for combat/carnage.

Edited by atschai

Well from my findings (considering carnage/combat), at 0 crit in 72-78 gear, one point of crit is worth the equivalent of 0.9 points of power, so technically a 69 enhancement with power is worse than a 72 enhancement with crit. Keep in mind that with every additional point in crit, this ratio gets worse. At 150 crit you only get 0.8 per power and at 300 0.7 per power.

This means, as 78 enhancements roughly have 20% more stats than 72 mods, that you can swap them until a crit rating of 150 and still have positive benefits (2 enhancements max)

Unlettered mods, on the other hand have around 20% more mainstat AND 20% more secondary so you can even swap 72 power for 78 crit up to around 300 crit. Same for implants and earpieces (4 mods max or a combination of 2 enhancements/2 mods or 1 enchancement/3 mods).

There is no question that the BiS is a full power build for combat/carnage.

If you don't mind showing the equivalency calculations for crit and power I'd love to see it.

Edited by Ryvirath