Eric, please answer...

Sam_Skyrunner

You really don't get the concept of sending the mods via legacy gear. Let me give you a good point. My sentinel has all 78 mods already. Let me share how this happened. I never used my ultimate comms. I had maxed them out on 6 55s. When the new patch came out, I use the gree gear to fully gear out my main. Now, my main hadn't set foot in a single new op to EARN any of the 78 mods. It just happened because I had alts with comms. I know many people that have done this. Not a single one of my characters earned a single 78 mod, yet I have them. So, get off your high horse now, please.

If one of your characters has all those mods, none of your others can have them. You have to go to the bother of sending them back. With legacy-wide datacron stat boosts, you would have all the stat boosts on all your characters all the time.

That's a big difference, but I'm sure you will argue otherwise.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I already stated, I actually love the idea of getting all the datacrons on every character. What you don't realize, the game is broken. It take the fun out of it when you jump on something and the game glitches, you get stuck, or even when you just reappear back at the bottom because the game goes "***? I don't know what to do here!" If they would fix the mechanics, I'd have no problem getting them. That would be my first response. But, we all know that will never happen.

First off, in order for them to be unlocked via legacy, they would first need to be gotten in the first place. So, there goes your "for nothing." Also, if you don't like the idea of "something for nothing," stop sending your alts mods inside legacy gear. Stop purchasing current legacy unlocks such as increased experience. For that manner, also stop making the presence you receive from finishing companion stories legacy wide. Jesus, I start off 500 presence. Stop all of these things, if you think this kind of thing is wanting "something for nothing." Stop trolling.

If you take the mods out of a piece of gear, put it in a piece of legacy gear, and send that piece of legacy gear to an alt, the original character no longer has the mods. It has been moved. A more appropriate comparison with datacrons would be choosing which one character on your legacy get's the one stat mod from a datacron and paying credits to switch it. So for gear, work is done on one character for a benefit (piece of gear), that benefit is then GIVEN to another character on your legacy at the expense of loosing it on your original character. That is not what you seek with legacy datacrons.

Secondly, there was a post where they said that it is something they would like to implement. So, there goes that.

Yes, the wall of crazy, I remember. Also on the list are Guild ships, free-flight PvE space, class balance, class story expansion, companion story expansion, and regular updates to the collector's edition vendor. (well, techincally that last one was one of the advertising point when selling the game, but it has since been moved to the wall of crazy)

Just because the devs say they are interested in something, or that they would like to implement something, does not mean that they will.

Thirdly, I enjoy gathering datacrons when the system flaws aren't involved. If they would rather fix the jump mechanics, I'm all for it.

There are some system flaws. I can recall the endurance datacron on Makeb, after taking the circular lift up to the next platform and jumping to the catwalk there are a couple paces one can get stuck (the corner of the structure near where you jump and the vertical pipe near where you land) which can cause you to go back to the circular lift or die and rez all the way back at the faction speeder. These do not prevent people from getting the datacron, they just delay, the same way falling to your death would delay. The datacrons can be obtained. People do obtain them, even with the problems. That is part of the effort required to get them. I'd be in favor of them fixing the flaws as well, but the flaws don't stop me and I know enough of them now to completely avoid them.

Edited by Jaing

I don't see why there is so much hate towards the idea of legacy datacron unlocks. People saying that it is the easy way out, that it doesn't make sense, that it needs to be done on each character, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the majority of the legacy bonuses already? Does that mean they should never have been implemented either? Edited by Kontraz

As I already stated, I actually love the idea of getting all the datacrons on every character. What you don't realize, the game is broken. It take the fun out of it when you jump on something and the game glitches, you get stuck, or even when you just reappear back at the bottom because the game goes "***? I don't know what to do here!" If they would fix the mechanics, I'd have no problem getting them. That would be my first response. But, we all know that will never happen.

Let's not apply your bad experience with one datacron to all datacrons. A *vast* majority of the datacrons don't require any significant acrobatics to attain. You usually just have to find them.

Just to give some examples:

Korriban

First one: Sitting on ground behind big rock

Second one: Sitting on ground behind wall.

Third one: Sitting on ground behind cliffs

Dromund Kaas:

First one: follow road left out of space port, to top of hill. Find the cave and follow it to the datacron on ground.

Second: In spaceport. Go to hangar. Follow ramp to top and around corner. Jump down to a pipe. Follow it and jump down to crate where datacron is sitting.

Third: Hop up on crates. jump over to rocks. follow path. jump down rocks and get datacron.

I don't see why there is so much hate towards the idea of legacy. People saying that it is the easy way out, that it doesn't make sense, that it needs to be done on each character, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the majority of the legacy bonuses already? Does that mean they should never have been implemented either?

But they already have been implemented. If you think they should be taken out, lobby for that.

It's not very compelling to say "Just because we have this one thing, we should also have this other similar thing."

Then you are putting in a rediculous amount of effort for a trivial benefit that you'll never notice.

Well that's absolutely incorrect. Would you notice the benefit from a 15th augment? Yes, yes you would. And collecting all the datacrons for a certain stat is giving more of that stat than would adding a 15th augment. Not to mention you are doing it for all applicable stats.

Look at a melee str class for example. This class benefits from end, str, and willpower. A 40 point boost in each of those stat categories gives you a significant edge.

The problem I have with this is that it's essentially the same as asking for all your toons to get 10,000 affection on all companions just because you did it on your first toon so that you could get the companion max affection stat boost.

You really don't get the concept of sending the mods via legacy gear. Let me give you a good point. My sentinel has all 78 mods already. Let me share how this happened. I never used my ultimate comms. I had maxed them out on 6 55s. When the new patch came out, I use the gree gear to fully gear out my main. Now, my main hadn't set foot in a single new op to EARN any of the 78 mods. It just happened because I had alts with comms. I know many people that have done this. Not a single one of my characters earned a single 78 mod, yet I have them. So, get off your high horse now, please.

Every single one of your characters that earned ultimate comms, redeemed them for (78) gear, and sent that gear to your sentinel, earned the 78 mods. They earned them by getting the ultimate comms. You then took the (78) gear that some characters earned, and transferred them to your sentinel. You did not get a legacy duplicate piece of (78) gear on your sentinel, you actually had to move them from one character to another. That is a transfer, not a duplication.

Gear with stats cannot be duplicated on characters that did not earn them, you have to take from one character to give to another. It does not seem to me that the request for legacy datacrons is requesting that the stat bonuses be taken from one character and given to another, it is a request that stat bonuses be duplicated on characters that did not earn them. That would be like asking for a (78) piece of gear to be given to all characters on your legacy because one of your characters earned it. Granted that's a much more extreme scenario since a single high-end piece of gear has more stats than all the datacrons, but it is the same scenario as the requested legacy datacrons, just with gear.

________________________________________________________________________________

I could see the devs implementing a legacy unlock, datacron by datacron. Pay 100 cartel coins and unlock a starter planet datacron (+2 stats) legacy/account wide. 240 cartel coins for the +4 stat datacrons. Probably something like 1000 cartel coins to unlock the Makeb datacrons, maybe 2000 for the fleet datacrons. That would be in keeping with how the cartel market seems to work. People could actually do the work and save the coins, or spend the coins and not do the work.

I think I like that idea.

Edited by Jaing

But they already have been implemented. If you think they should be taken out, lobby for that.

It's not very compelling to say "Just because we have this one thing, we should also have this other similar thing."

My argument is that there are already a number of other options implemented for nothing more than convenience. This would simply be another one.

"Don't want to do the HK missions again? Just pay one million credits"

"Don't want to track down every datacron on your faction again? Just pay five million credits"

it's the same principle.

My argument is that there are already a number of other options implemented for nothing more than convenience. This would simply be another one.

"Don't want to do the HK missions again? Just pay one million credits"

"Don't want to track down every datacron on your faction again? Just pay five million credits"

it's the same principle.

And as I said, if you think the HK thing is too generous and P2W-y, lobby for its removal.

Edited by branmakmuffin

And as I said, if you think the HK thing is too generous and P2W-y, lobby for its removal.

I don't. I'm saying they are in the same realm. "You completed task x on a character, so pay a fee and have it unlocked on a different character."

If you are opposed to legacy datacrons, then reason would dictate that you should be lobbying for the removal of the HK purchase as well.

I don't. I'm saying they are in the same realm. "You completed task x on a character, so pay a fee and have it unlocked on a different character."

If you are opposed to legacy datacrons, then reason would dictate that you should be lobbying for the removal of the HK purchase as well.

Yep, in-game credits or cartel coins could be viable options. The devs would jsut have to figure out whether it would be one lump sum or split up (by planet/stat#/stat type/specifc datacrons).

5 mil to unlock on all characters... even with 6 completely done and 3 others half done I think I'd still buy that.

Heh, what legacy level would you even need for all that... I'd think 45 since that's the bare minimum actual level you need to get all datacrons.

Yep, in-game credits or cartel coins could be viable options. The devs would jsut have to figure out whether it would be one lump sum or split up (by planet/stat#/stat type/specifc datacrons).

5 mil to unlock on all characters... even with 6 completely done and 3 others half done I think I'd still buy that.

Heh, what legacy level would you even need for all that... I'd think 45 since that's the bare minimum actual level you need to get all datacrons.

agreed.

However, why the legacy level of 45 of requirement (not that I disagree, I just don't follow your logic). I have all the datacrons on one character, and a good portion on a number of others, and I think I'm only legacy 46 or 47 (I had all the datacrons WELL before 45)

HK is a COMPANION. He does not give your CHARACTER any permanent stat increases.

HK is a COMPANION. He does not give your CHARACTER any permanent stat increases.

so? The point is that I can go and get HK on my alt, but I already did and don't want to take the time to do so. It's much easier to come up with the creds.

The same line of reasoning applies to datacrons. I can take the time to go get them again, but if there is an option to pay creds (or cartel coins), it is preferable.

Adding a legacy level prerequisite or a minimum player level required for purchase would keep lowbies from becoming too powerful too quickly.

so? The point is that I can go and get HK on my alt, but I already did and don't want to take the time to do so. It's much easier to come up with the creds.

The same line of reasoning applies to datacrons. I can take the time to go get them again, but if there is an option to pay creds (or cartel coins), it is preferable.

Adding a legacy level prerequisite or a minimum player level required for purchase would keep lowbies from becoming too powerful too quickly.

No. The point is that you are asking for permanent stat bonuses for characters who did not earn them. That would be like saying "I leveled one character to max level. Let me create max level characters, now"

No. The point is that you are asking for permanent stat bonuses for characters who did not earn them. That would be like saying "I leveled one character to max level. Let me create max level characters, now"

Not at all. Once contains story quests, actual leveling, and the primary (or secondary) time sink implemented into the game.

This would be a tertiary time sink along the lines of an optional side quest (or series of side quests) like the HK scavenger hunt missions.

From a gameplay perspective, considering your companion is an extension of your character, being able to spawn a late-game companion at level one with fully customizable armor and weapons is (to some extent) a permanent stat boost for a character that did not earn it.

I really don't see why the whining in opposition to this idea. If you don't want it, don't get it. Its a suggestion for the implementation of a convenience service, just like the rest of the legacy purchases.

agreed.

However, why the legacy level of 45 of requirement (not that I disagree, I just don't follow your logic). I have all the datacrons on one character, and a good portion on a number of others, and I think I'm only legacy 46 or 47 (I had all the datacrons WELL before 45)

Legacy level 45 is really just a number thrown out there based on how nice it would be to have. (45 out of 50 on my OMG DO WANT) type thing. Also corresponds to the mimum character level necessary for the fleet datacrons (you have to be character lvl 45 to get the fleet datacron, not legacy lvl 45, sorry for confusion). Not sure about Makeb, can you get there before lvl 47?

Legacy level 45 is really just a number thrown out there based on how nice it would be to have. (45 out of 50 on my OMG DO WANT) type thing. Also corresponds to the mimum character level necessary for the fleet datacrons (you have to be character lvl 45 to get the fleet datacron, not legacy lvl 45, sorry for confusion). Not sure about Makeb, can you get there before lvl 47?

ah, fair enough ^_^

Not at all. Once contains story quests, actual leveling, and the primary (or secondary) time sink implemented into the game.

This would be a tertiary time sink along the lines of an optional side quest (or series of side quests) like the HK scavenger hunt missions.

From a gameplay perspective, considering your companion is an extension of your character, being able to spawn a late-game companion at level one with fully customizable armor and weapons is (to some extent) a permanent stat boost for a character that did not earn it.

I really don't see why the whining in opposition to this idea. If you don't want it, don't get it. Its a suggestion for the implementation of a convenience service, just like the rest of the legacy purchases.

Does HK increase your character's stats in any way? NO. If HK is not out, your character does not get any benefit. Character stat increases apply whether or not a companion is out.

You can try to justify it any way you want, but it is still asking for something for nothing, simply because some people are too lazy to actually earn the bonuses they want on the characters they want to receive those bonuses.

I don't see why there is so much hate towards the idea of legacy datacron unlocks.

i don't understand this either. i mean i can understand the logic (from both sides), but there are many specific people who always come out to post on this topic whenever it's posted to rehash the same rhetoric which is just shaming people for making a request.

i don't see why people can't just disagree and leave it at that. what is the point of resorting to condescending hyperbole just to make a point?

Does HK increase your character's stats in any way? NO. If HK is not out, your character does not get any benefit. Character stat increases apply whether or not a companion is out.

You can try to justify it any way you want, but it is still asking for something for nothing, simply because some people are too lazy to actually earn the bonuses they want on the characters they want to receive those bonuses.

it isn't something for nothing. You put the time in to get them all once, and then you are spending credits/CC as a replacement for the time requirement on subsequent characters.

also..... purchasing the unlock for HK is not being too lazy to do the quest and get the companion? right :rolleyes:

it isn't something for nothing. You put the time in to get them all once, and then you are spending credits/CC as a replacement for the time requirement on subsequent characters.

also..... purchasing the unlock for HK is not being too lazy to do the quest and get the companion? right :rolleyes:

Did you actually EARN those stat bonuses on the character you want to receive them? If not, then it IS asking for something for nothing.

Did you actually EARN those stat bonuses on the character you want to receive them? If not, then it IS asking for something for nothing.

did you actually EARN HK by doing the required quest on your alts if you paid the 1 mil creds? We can do this all day :cool: