The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 15: Satele Shan vs. Count Dooku

Aurbere

Save the Yoda talk for another time, people.

It happens, Yoda is the man what can I say. I feel that Satele doesn't have the material that Dooku has while in her prime as the battle with Malgus keeps getting referred back to even though this is 23 years before her prime. At this point in time I'd have to say Dooku wins but who knows, maybe a year from now and more EU material maybe Satele would win.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I'm playing devil's advocate because I'm starting to think Dooku could win this - or at least I'd like him too - but for the sake of debate I'll hold back on the Count's trump cards.

You don't have to play Devil's Advocate. That burden lies with me.

I honestly think Dooku can win but I don't have time for a meaty argument. I just believe his blade work and known ability to fight ataru masters is going to give him a serious edge. While Dooku may prefer to "test the waters" with force powers Sateele likes to do the same with Saber skills. Both are particularly skilled in chaining force bases attacks but personally I think the difference in their blade work is vastly larger then their difference in force powers. Just my 2 cents.

I honestly think Dooku can win but I don't have time for a meaty argument. I just believe his blade work and known ability to fight ataru masters is going to give him a serious edge. While Dooku may prefer to "test the waters" with force powers Sateele likes to do the same with Saber skills. Both are particularly skilled in chaining force bases attacks but personally I think the difference in their blade work is vastly larger then their difference in force powers. Just my 2 cents.
Hypothetical scenario of Dooku testing the waters:

:D

At this point I'm playing devil's advocate because I'm starting to think Dooku could win this - or at least I'd like him too - but for the sake of debate I'll hold back on the Count's trump cards.

P.S. And don't make the assumption that the PT Jedi are broadly superior to the Old Republic era. Satele Shan was an extremely powerful Force user - as was the Hero of Tython who took down the Sith Emperor. And has gone up against a considerably more powerful Sith adversary in the form of Darth Malgus.

I don't assume that at all - As you will have noticed in the past I am one of the main people that dispute the inherent overall superiority of the PT Jedi.... Just as you can play the Devil's Advocate - I can tailor my arguments based on the beliefs of the audience I am trying to influence :D

But it seems that if I plant the seed and leave well enough alone.... people will eventually come round to my way of thinking - Now I want you all to vote me into the Senate and give me some Emergency powers :)

P.S. And don't make the assumption that the PT Jedi are broadly superior to the Old Republic era.

As a collective whole they are. Individually when you're comparing one Jedi to another, of course one maybe superior to another in a particular area. :p Or at least that is what I'm assuming when we such this, it's how I view it as.../shrug.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

As a collective whole they are. Individually when you're comparing one Jedi to another, of course one maybe superior to another in a particular area. :p Or at least that is what I'm assuming when we such this, it's how I view it as.../shrug.

Canonically speaking, they are as a whole.

I don't feel that Dooku would 'test the waters' against Satele. Dooku doing so against Yoda seems far more like he was attempting to show Yoda that he had become more powerful than him. Reading Dark Rendezvous makes me think this was the case.

Unless someone can prove me wrong, any further arguments about that are to be dismissed. I haz da powah to do that, you know :D

I don't feel that Dooku would 'test the waters' against Satele. Dooku doing so against Yoda seems far more like he was attempting to show Yoda that he had become more powerful than him. Reading Dark Rendezvous makes me think this was the case.

Unless someone can prove me wrong, any further arguments about that are to be dismissed. I haz da powah to do that, you know :D

I think the general consensus was agreed upon that he wouldn't test the waters with a Jedi he has no real connection with.

Not only that but Sateele does "test the waters" with her Lightsaber while Dooku not testing the waters means she walks right into where he wants her. Her ataru style quickly landing her into a lot of trouble and throwing her off-balance followed up with force based attacks specifically directed at her (not the environment like she does when engaged in a duel) and we quickly have Dooku's blade work cutting her appandages and dropping her before she can respond with any of her force powers.

Not only that but Sateele does "test the waters" with her Lightsaber while Dooku not testing the waters means she walks right into where he wants her. Her ataru style quickly landing her into a lot of trouble and throwing her off-balance followed up with force based attacks specifically directed at her (not the environment like she does when engaged in a duel) and we quickly have Dooku's blade work cutting her appandages and dropping her before she can respond with any of her force powers.
I've already explained why Dooku cannot 'cut her appendages'. It also seems a little silly dismissing Satele's Force abilities because she only effect the environment, which is a tenons assumption at best.

Dooku can throw lightining at her, she'll block it with ease. Dooku can Force push her, she'll tank it. Dooku can throw - wait no there aren't any projectiles from him to throw.

I think its illogical to assume that Dooku will just bash Satele up with his lightsaber and done deal.

What do you mean?
Well the only canon that comes to mind regarding their superiority is that they were the "Golden Age" and a vague comment from Lucas saying that this is the Jedi in their prime - but a comment that only has meaning in the context in which it was said - i.e. in comparison with the rag-tags we see in the OT.

Other than that they are pretty similar. The PT era definitely produced finer duelists but it pretty much ends there, we have to remember that the OR had 300 years of peace to perfect their teaching methods and start churning out some premier students - and battle experience on top of that.

Simply put there are many many variables, that long long discussion we have way back with Vent proved that. And I've come to believe that they basically balance each other out - at least in terms of Force prowess.

Well the only canon that comes to mind regarding their superiority is that they were the "Golden Age" and a vague comment from Lucas saying that this is the Jedi in their prime - but a comment that only has meaning in the context in which it was said - i.e. in comparison with the rag-tags we see in the OT.

Other than that they are pretty similar. The PT era definitely produced finer duelists but it pretty much ends there, we have to remember that the OR had 300 years of peace to perfect their teaching methods and start churning out some premier students - and battle experience on top of that.

Simply put there are many many variables, that long long discussion we have way back with Vent proved that. And I've come to believe that they basically balance each other out - at least in terms of Force prowess.

Well, from what I've read, the PT era seems to have the more powerful Force users as well. That seems to be backed up by our Most Powerful Project.

Here's how I see it:

The average PT Jedi is more powerful than the average OR Jedi, but the most powerful of OR Jedi can stand in the elite. Again, backed up by the Most Powerful Project.

But let's stick a pin in this discussion and get back to what truly matters.

Well, from what I've read, the PT era seems to have the more powerful Force users as well. That seems to be backed up by our Most Powerful Project.

Here's how I see it:

The average PT Jedi is more powerful than the average OR Jedi, but the most powerful of OR Jedi can stand in the elite. Again, backed up by the Most Powerful Project.

But let's stick a pin in this discussion and get back to what truly matters.

I feel Yoda, Windu and Fay are special exceptions, they were leaps and bounds above most other Jedi in their era. Satele, Revan and Meetra... not so much.

I feel Yoda, Windu and Fay are special exceptions, they were leaps and bounds above most other Jedi in their era. Satele, Revan and Meetra... not so much.

Guess that depends on how you compare them to other Jedi. I don't see many OR Jedi on Revan, Satele, or Meetra's level.

But, like I said, let's drop it for now. Get to making your final argument, you! :p