78 armoring vs 69 set bonus

Lord_Garrex

Hello again everybody.

In a recent thread I'd asked a question about nerfing the second tier of my Arkanian set bonus (reduced CD on Valorous Call + 4% extra damage when Zen is activated) and it was pretty obvious after a reminder that keeping the set bonus would be more beneficial than if I replaced the two 69 armorings with 72s. However, now that these new 78s have been thrown into the mix does your answer stay the same or would the 78s without the second part of the set bonus yield a higher dps? (I do intend on keeping my 8% bonus damage from Master Strike)

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Keep the set bonus.

Calculations:

You have 81 strength on the 69 armoring and would get 105 on the 78 armoring, for a gain of 24, or 48 over two pieces. This is a gain of a bit under 20 dps for a sentinel. (See various spreadsheets, eg oofalong's over at mmo-mechanics).

Two-piece set bonus: This is a gain of approximately 25 dps for a watchman sentinel, and more for a combat sentinel. To see this, master strike is a bit more than 10% of watchman dps (more for combat), which let's say is 3000. Increasing this by 8% increases dps by a bit more than 8*3 = 24 dps.

Four-piece set bonus: The weaponmaster buff increasing damage by 4% lasts 15 seconds after you activate zen. If you look at logs, it's up more than half the time. So you're getting more than .04*3000/2 = 60 dps, again assuming dps of roughly 3000. On top of this is the reduced valorous call cooldown.

So you're getting more from the four-piece than the two-piece, and both are better than upgrading your armorings.