The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Expanding my Library...

Beniboybling

...Or rather building it.

I'm currently the proud owner of a three Star Wars reference books being:

SWTOR Encyclopedia

The Jedi Path

The Book of Sith

All of which I've found excellent resources. However I want more! The thing is, Wookieepedia is pretty expansive these days and has information on pretty much everything. So I'm looking for reference books with as much non-Wookieeable information as possible, but also those that cover a lot of bases. Any suggestions?

All the Essential Guides (Get the New versions of whichever ones they exist for) have bit of info that are missed by our friends, the Wookies.

There is an "Ultimate Illustrated Guide" or something of the type to all the events surrounding and including the Sith and Mandalorian Wars.

I'll post more as I remember them....

...Or rather building it.

I'm currently the proud owner of a three Star Wars reference books being:

SWTOR Encyclopedia

The Jedi Path

The Book of Sith

All of which I've found excellent resources. However I want more! The thing is, Wookieepedia is pretty expansive these days and has information on pretty much everything. So I'm looking for reference books with as much non-Wookieeable information as possible, but also those that cover a lot of bases. Any suggestions?

probably essential guide to weapons and tech as well as essential guide to droids, essential guide to species, and essential guide to vehicles and vessels.

There are many reference books out there. The New Essential Series is a good place to start. You should also get some more novels and comics as the Wookiee misses a great deal of information present in those novels.

Yoda's Force Concealment ability being one of them, IIRC.

There are many reference books out there. The New Essential Series is a good place to start. You should also get some more novels and comics as the Wookiee misses a great deal of information present in those novels.

Yoda's Force Concealment ability being one of them, IIRC.

I'm hesitant to buy any more Star Wars novels, the post-ROTJ doesn't interest me in the slightest and I feel books surrounding the prequels just feel repetitive, outside that its difficult to find really good quality EU.

On that topic, anyone here own The Essential Reader's Companion? And if so how detailed is it?

I also wan't to get the New Essential Guide to Characters but alas it is somewhat dated, and the third edition isn't to be released until 2016. I mean really come on, the Sequels will be under way by then and they'll just have to release another. But I might buy it anyway cause its pretty cheap.

I'm hesitant to buy any more Star Wars novels, the post-ROTJ doesn't interest me in the slightest and I feel books surrounding the prequels just feel repetitive, outside that its difficult to find really good quality EU.

Have two words for you.

Crimson Empire. :D:p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

On that topic, anyone here own The Essential Reader's Companion? And if so how detailed is it?

I also wan't to get the New Essential Guide to Characters but alas it is somewhat dated, and the third edition isn't to be released until 2016. I mean really come on, the Sequels will be under way by then and they'll just have to release another. But I might buy it anyway cause its pretty cheap.

If you avoid post-ROTJ (I assume because of Luke and the Vong) then you are missing a lot of good books. Courtship of Princess Leia, X-Wing, and most notably the Thrawn series.

Also, the Prequel era has some very good books as well. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil, Cestus Deception, and Shatterpoint. Very good books.

But that's beside the point. For sourcebooks, I would recommend getting the New Essential Guide to Characters now, and get the re-release again. And also get the other books of the New Essential Series.

If you avoid post-ROTJ (I assume because of Luke and the Vong) then you are missing a lot of good books. Courtship of Princess Leia, X-Wing, and most notably the Thrawn series.

Also, the Prequel era has some very good books as well. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil, Cestus Deception, and Shatterpoint. Very good books.

But that's beside the point. For sourcebooks, I would recommend getting the New Essential Guide to Characters now, and get the re-release again. And also get the other books of the New Essential Series.

Thrawn is most likely gonna be the next antagonist. Who would be able to play him though?

Thrawn is most likely gonna be the next antagonist. Who would be able to play him though?

I didn't know Lucas' original treatments contained Thrawn. :p

No but seriously the Sequel Trilogy is based on the very original treatments Lucas wrote himself way back when, when he still thought he might do as many as 12 films.

Pretty sure Zahn has specifically said it doesn't look like they're doing Thrawn for the next movies. They probably aren't under any legal obligation to coordinate with Zahn if they did want to use him, but it'd be kind of strange if they weren't.

I didn't know Lucas' original treatments contained Thrawn. :p

No but seriously the Sequel Trilogy is based on the very original treatments Lucas wrote himself way back when, when he still thought he might do as many as 12 films.

Weren't the original treatments going to have Dark Side Luke? Or was that the original idea of ROTJ?

I keep hearing different things.

No, because its too science-fictional at the expense of fantasy. Or maybe its just because they don't possess enough novelty to make them interesting... for example I started reading LoE - but found it boring.

But anyway, I'll check out the Essential Guides.

No, because its too science-fictional at the expense of fantasy.

Which is exactly why I don't read many Star Wars books anymore, too.

The "Fantasy aspect" of Star Wars got totally lost. Books like "Splinter of the mind's eye" are simply not possible anymore.

It's like ... having a meal, but at one point the cooks decided to no more put an important ingredient into it anymore.

Which is exactly why I don't read many Star Wars books anymore, too.

The "Fantasy aspect" of Star Wars got totally lost. Books like "Splinter of the mind's eye" are simply not possible anymore.

It's like ... having a meal, but at one point the cooks decided to no more put an important ingredient into it anymore.

I here you, but that's why I like the Old Republic era the most, because they haven't discarded that ingredient.

Anything else people might recommend other than the Essential Guides?

EDIT: Oh and whats the word on the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia?

It's alright..... But it doesn't give as much of an individual look at things as the other "guides" do. I wish I could find that TOR guide-book, though.....