Does anyone know a good and "up to date" website for dps and tanking builds.

Astroenomical

I keep searching a variety of sites with conflicting stat priorities. In my opinion that is the single most important part aside from the talent tree. It is great however that people do agree on what the tree should be.

I seem to have come up to the list like this Strength>Accuracy(100-110%)>Critical(40%)>Surge(70%)>Power. Is power and surge really interchangeable since one deals in damage through melee and the other through critical?

First of all, your numbers for DPS are outdated.

Second, the way gearing in this game works, Power and Crit always take up the same slot on gear, while Surge competes with Accuracy and Alacrity for DPS stats.

Accuracy to 100% is still the #1 priority (Combat Sentinels can get there quicker than the other DPS Knight specs), after that you pretty much want everything in Surge (supposedly Combat Sentinels can benefit from a bit of Alacrity but I really have no clue since I've never played a Sent, but just sticking to Surge can't hurt you).

As for Power vs Crit, you want just about all Power as the devs hurt the value of Crit badly post 2.0. I think at the very top of gearing, like once you move into Nightmare level gear, Crit starts to hold some small value.

The only other area where you can vary it up is augment choice. Basically, Strength for Guardian, Power for Sentinel although Strength is still almost as good for a Sentinel.

As for tanking, on the tanking forums they have a detailed thread near the top listing exactly how many stat points in each tanking stat is optimal depending on your total stat budget, I'd head over to that thread and use that info there.

Again though, for DPS, its simple. Accuracy to 100%, everything else in Surge, all Power and no Crit, Strength augs for Guardian, Power augs for Sentinel.

• 3 weeks later...

It lies, is out of date, and is generally bad at everything. Don't use noxxic.

First of all, your numbers for DPS are outdated.

Second, the way gearing in this game works, Power and Crit always take up the same slot on gear, while Surge competes with Accuracy and Alacrity for DPS stats.

Accuracy to 100% is still the #1 priority (Combat Sentinels can get there quicker than the other DPS Knight specs), after that you pretty much want everything in Surge (supposedly Combat Sentinels can benefit from a bit of Alacrity but I really have no clue since I've never played a Sent, but just sticking to Surge can't hurt you).

As for Power vs Crit, you want just about all Power as the devs hurt the value of Crit badly post 2.0. I think at the very top of gearing, like once you move into Nightmare level gear, Crit starts to hold some small value.

The only other area where you can vary it up is augment choice. Basically, Strength for Guardian, Power for Sentinel although Strength is still almost as good for a Sentinel.

As for tanking, on the tanking forums they have a detailed thread near the top listing exactly how many stat points in each tanking stat is optimal depending on your total stat budget, I'd head over to that thread and use that info there.

Again though, for DPS, its simple. Accuracy to 100%, everything else in Surge, all Power and no Crit, Strength augs for Guardian, Power augs for Sentinel.

To be a little more specific, you want 395 Accuracy rating (99.51%) as the misses that the .49% will incur is less than the DPS gained by putting those extras points into Surge. As was stated you need significantly less for combat as you get 6% (versus 3% for Watchman or Focus) from talents which leaves a 2% gap (assuming you have a melee companion with maxed out affection).

As for the augments, things get a lot less clear here. Because Guardians get a talented bonus to Strength, its obviously better than power for them. Sentinels, however do get more than just power from Strength: we get crit. Now, according to the current math Strength works out at something like 0.5% better than Power for Augments however its difficult to support this with real world data since given the massive crit nerf in 2.0, very few people have much of it. So in a parse wherein you are getting great crits, Strength will show itself to be better than Power. However, in most cases you'll "feel" like straight power is giving you more benefit. Its really a tough place to be in and honestly it comes down to your personal opinion. Watchman doesn't really need the extra crit since it gets so much burn crit from talents. Focus absolutely doesn't need the crit since every Sweep will crit. Combat, on the other hand, only has one auto-crit whereas it has many other abilities that are used and has access to a significantly higher stat pool than Watchman or Focus (meaning that using a bit of crit takes away less since you have to have less accuracy). When I was running Combat 100% of the time, I ran Str augments with about 200 crit rating. It helps boost the damage on your non-blade storm abilities which can really help in situations when you get RNG-screwed.

As for the initial question..

The forums are your best bet. There is someone out there who has written a guide for most of the specs (barring some of the more...unusual hybrid ones) and there will usually be someone on those threads that is willing to answer questions. Not to mention how those will always be more up dated. Hope that helped!

It lies, is out of date, and is generally bad at everything. Don't use noxxic.

To be a little more specific, you want 395 Accuracy rating (99.51%) as the misses that the .49% will incur is less than the DPS gained by putting those extras points into Surge. As was stated you need significantly less for combat as you get 6% (versus 3% for Watchman or Focus) from talents which leaves a 2% gap (assuming you have a melee companion with maxed out affection).

As for the augments, things get a lot less clear here. Because Guardians get a talented bonus to Strength, its obviously better than power for them. Sentinels, however do get more than just power from Strength: we get crit. Now, according to the current math Strength works out at something like 0.5% better than Power for Augments however its difficult to support this with real world data since given the massive crit nerf in 2.0, very few people have much of it. So in a parse wherein you are getting great crits, Strength will show itself to be better than Power. However, in most cases you'll "feel" like straight power is giving you more benefit. Its really a tough place to be in and honestly it comes down to your personal opinion. Watchman doesn't really need the extra crit since it gets so much burn crit from talents. Focus absolutely doesn't need the crit since every Sweep will crit. Combat, on the other hand, only has one auto-crit whereas it has many other abilities that are used and has access to a significantly higher stat pool than Watchman or Focus (meaning that using a bit of crit takes away less since you have to have less accuracy). When I was running Combat 100% of the time, I ran Str augments with about 200 crit rating. It helps boost the damage on your non-blade storm abilities which can really help in situations when you get RNG-screwed.

As for the initial question..

The forums are your best bet. There is someone out there who has written a guide for most of the specs (barring some of the more...unusual hybrid ones) and there will usually be someone on those threads that is willing to answer questions. Not to mention how those will always be more up dated. Hope that helped!

noxxic is just fine and it's up to date. infact it's even 2.4 updated. who told you that it wasn't up to date