The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best PVE DPS spec

Jedi_riches

I have seen some recent threads indicating a nerf in DPS vanguard hybrids coming in 2.4. I am about to start a Vanguard trooper and wonder what will the best skill tree be for DPS.

I currently have a commando at level 45 but got a little bored as I have managed to 3 button mash myself to that level, so I want a change.

I will only be interested in PVE (Solo and the occasional flashpoint/heroic grouping) and have no interest in joining PVP gaming and wish to do DPS as I think trying to run a tank will be beyond me (I enjoy the game but dont understand a lot of the mechanics)

Leveling works with whatever spec, especially with pulse cannon, mortar volley and sticky grenade giving awesome aoe. Assault works well for leveling because you get the free hib reset early on.

If you do want to try tanking, VG is a good one to learn the mechanics on.

Hybrid and full Tactics are about even in 2.4. Tactics is a bit easier to manage though as the ammo is not quite as tight and the rotation holds together a bit better (also, it's not as life threatening when random procs fail to happen). Hybrid requires more effort and may appeal to you in ways that Tactics doesn't. Give them a try.

Assault may or may not be viable in PvE in 2.4. I haven't seen enough parses to say for sure. The spec is buffed somewhat from its current state though, so I suspect the answer is "yes, it is viable".

Play around with the specs and see which one suits you best.

Hybrid and full Tactics are about even in 2.4. Tactics is a bit easier to manage though as the ammo is not quite as tight and the rotation holds together a bit better (also, it's not as life threatening when random procs fail to happen). Hybrid requires more effort and may appeal to you in ways that Tactics doesn't. Give them a try.

Assault may or may not be viable in PvE in 2.4. I haven't seen enough parses to say for sure. The spec is buffed somewhat from its current state though, so I suspect the answer is "yes, it is viable".

Play around with the specs and see which one suits you best.

I wrote an extensive post last night, actually early this morning, concerning the new 2.4 Assault changes, I lost it w/ a 505 error...I was pissed!

overall, the "buff" to DPS is about ~50-80 DPS, depending on the almighty RNG. i.e.

SS w/ Riot Augs = 17.58% 34 Stockstrike 96420 289.17 2835.88 26.47%

SS w/out RAugs = 17.5% 34 Stockstrike 96293 291.46 2832.15 35.29%

the ammo increase to AP/TD (up from 16 to 22) makes it unusable in sustained DPS fights (>3 minutes), keeping SS, MV, and IR on CD/Dot uptime.

the ammo decrease to IR/IM (down to 16 from 22) makes it now reliable in a sustained DPS fight. That is where the increase in DPS is coming from. (DoT uptime and ammo management)

I believe my rotation to be almost flawless, and on my best parses, I made absolutely no mistakes. I'm not BiS gear, mostly 69's (and MH barrel 66 :( ), so the parse values won't seem that great.

I ran several controlled parses. no stims, reserve PC, BF...just to ensure an EXACT rotation (see above SS example). so again, my numbers will not be making any top 10's, but the testing was very precise and thorough. (I did run several "all out parses, as well)

the DPS "buff" to Assault will not be making us competitive anytime in the near future, in PvE.

the defensive changes and burst w/ AP/TD (associated w/ Parallactic Combat Stims which allows it to be part of a sustained rotation, even tho "rotations" are not really used in PvP, read: ammo management) makes for a promising improvement in PvP. Still nowhere near the DPS/damage potential of Snipers, Marauders, Deception Assy.

Overall, I am NOT impressed.

Edited by T-Assassin

I wrote an extensive post last night, actually early this morning, concerning the new 2.4 Assault changes, I lost it w/ a 505 error...I was pissed!

overall, the "buff" to DPS is about ~50-80 DPS, depending on the almighty RNG. i.e.

SS w/ Riot Augs = 17.58% 34 Stockstrike 96420 289.17 2835.88 26.47%

SS w/out RAugs = 17.5% 34 Stockstrike 96293 291.46 2832.15 35.29%

the ammo increase to AP/TD (up from 16 to 22) makes it unusable in sustained DPS fights (>3 minutes), keeping SS, MV, and IR on CD/Dot uptime.

the ammo decrease to IR/IM (down to 16 from 22) makes it now reliable in a sustained DPS fight. That is where the increase in DPS is coming from. (DoT uptime and ammo management)

I believe my rotation to be almost flawless, and on my best parses, I made absolutely no mistakes. I'm not BiS gear, mostly 69's (and MH barrel 66 :( ), so the parse values won't seem that great.

I ran several controlled parses. no stims, reserve PC, BF...just to ensure an EXACT rotation (see above SS example). so again, my numbers will not be making any top 10's, but the testing was very precise and thorough. (I did run several "all out parses, as well)

the DPS "buff" to Assault will not be making us competitive anytime in the near future, in PvE.

the defensive changes and burst w/ AP/TD (associated w/ Parallactic Combat Stims which allows it to be part of a sustained rotation, even tho "rotations" are not really used in PvP, read: ammo management) makes for a promising improvement in PvP. Still nowhere near the DPS/damage potential of Snipers, Marauders, Deception Assy.

Overall, I am NOT impressed.

Are you sure about the heat/ammo change to TD/ap? I just checked again and theres nothing in the patch notes about it. Maybe double check and bug report if so. I haven't been on pts yet to check for myself.

Are you sure about the heat/ammo change to TD/ap? I just checked again and theres nothing in the patch notes about it. Maybe double check and bug report if so. I haven't been on pts yet to check for myself.

I'm not crazy, I swear. But, I am 100% positive it was 22 ammo 2 days ago, now it is 16. I even wrote the values down to compare vs live.

also, on that same day of testing, it had my VG as a Commando on Torparse.

IDK, guess i'll go test it again!!

Edited by T-Assassin

From my post on PT forums:

I'm at a loss. I've THOROUGHLY tested every possible assault spec and it is maddening. The RNG factor plays such a huge role, I almost believe their is a code or formula restricting DPS!! :) (less DPS on SS WITH Riot Augs, for example)

the testing I did was what I would call "controlled testing". i.e. no relic clicking, adrenals, or battle focus. I wanted to remove as many variables as I could.

I followed strict rotations, omitting MV, and sticking with IR, IP, SS, AP, and HiB(depending on my spec), on CD.

What I have found is full assault spec is still personal preference in PvE. In PvP, I would recommend it for burst and defensive CD's.

I'm not BiS, so obviously my numbers are lower that expected. and again, I was not attempting to break any records (no adrenals, relic clickies), I was testing full spec versus others.

5-5-36

http://www.torparse.com/a/430095/14/0/Damage+Dealt

8-8-30

http://www.torparse.com/a/430095/11/0/Damage+Dealt

As far as FULL Assault spec being more attractive, personal preference, I say. And for PvE, I really enjoy the ability to sit at 9.90m and pull just as much DPS, AND be able to watch the fight, not the boss's sack.

not to mention in zones like CZ, the droid boss w/ the charged plating, I can sit at 9.90m, RARELY get pulled (HO), and achieve maximum DPS, or pretty darn close.

EDIT: Aim-3067 Acc-100.24% Crit-22.08%(25.56 and 28.56% Tech) Surge-68.34% Pwr-1377.7