The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The REAL Most Powerful Jedi Lightsaber Duelists

Beniboybling

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Luminara Unduli? She was considered by some during that time to be as skilled as dooku.

Well, based on the timeline on Wookieepedia (because it's all I have to go on), Luminara fought Ventress a short time after Plo Koon did.

So using Ventress, we can gather that Plo Koon is Unduli's superior by a fair margin.

But who said that she was as good as Dooku? Dooku has only been stated to be in the league of Windu and Yoda.

Except Baas only 'schooled' Kun once. And then Exar Kun proceeded to fairly easily defeat him after picking up a second lightsaber.

Also, during their final duel, Kun appeared to be going easy on Baas, focused more on gaining Baas' allegiance and taunting him, rather than outright defeating him.

A similar duel off the top of my head would be Dooku vs. Spymaster Tholme, or Dooku vs. Sora Bulq.

Edit: I can't comment on NJO characters and their skills, so I'll leave that to Tune and Star.

But my point is that Baas has shown himself highly capable against Exar Kun in lightsaber combat until he pulls out the unorthodox card and exploits his weakness - the unknown. Also remembering how vastly more powerful Kun is than him, its a testament in itself that he is able to go toe-to-toe with him at all.

Also I'm not sure on Kun 'going easy' on Baas - his form does not allow it for one. And in this image, he looks pretty angry. Yes he was holding something back, i.e. his second blade and the skills that come with it. But single blade or not Kun remains a formidable duelist and an incredibly powerful Force user, yet Baas handled that onslaught just fine.

Concerning Baas' skills in general. The Jensaarai gives a

of his martial arts abilities.

I'd speculate on top of that that Baas was a Jedi Battlemaster. The definition of which is the premier lightsaber instructor of the Jedi Order. We know Baas was a lightsaber instructor, and I can't think of any other who would surpass him in this role. So its highly possibly that he was the Battlemaster of the era. Who else would train Exar Kun?

On top of that, its also quite likely he was a master of Niman, as this was the form his Padawan wielded. And as we know a master of Niman is a master of all seven lightsaber forms. So either way he has extensive knowledge in this area.

And of course, he has had centuries to refine his skills in this arena.

Something else that puzzles me...but I noticed something odd. Why is Raskta Lsu noted as a Weapons Master? I'm looking and all I can see is that she was adept, but not a master with the double bladed saber. Another thing I noticed is...

?.....That sounds like Battlemaster or Jedi Instructor to me, not Weapons Master. Me thinks that should be changed.

Not saying this would affect her standing, but it just seems odd.

Her page just seems weird, things should be changed and so forth to make it right.

According to Drew she was a Weapon's Master, but I'm going to put that down to an error on his part as Weapon Masters according to the Jedi Path and other sources is one who forgoes the use of a lightsaber in favour of other kinds of weaponary - with the exception of a saberstaff - yet Lsu dedicated herself to lightsaber combat exclusively.

So I expect he meant Battlemaster, it certainly fits her description better. Silly Drew. :rolleyes:

Well, based on the timeline on Wookieepedia (because it's all I have to go on), Luminara fought Ventress a short time after Plo Koon did.

So using Ventress, we can gather that Plo Koon is Unduli's superior by a fair margin.

But who said that she was as good as Dooku? Dooku has only been stated to be in the league of Windu and Yoda.

Did you not see the Clone Wars episode? Ventress pretty handedly defeats Unduli - though she was blinded. You can see the fight
Yeah, I doubt she was as good as Dooku or Koon.

P.S. Yeah, its in German. And for various reasons I've watched that video loads of times. So now Unduli is German for me, and all I can think about is her saying "schlampig". :p

I doubt you'd find much support for #10... I for one would nominate Kit Fisto or Corran Horn.

I mean, how do we even know for sure that Koon is better than Saesee Tinn, Agen Kolar etc?

Obviously I would support Corran honestly I think he is on par with our nominated number 9 and our nominated number 8 I really feel like these last 3 spots are so friken close its ridiculous.

I still dunno if your gonna find it, given the other two sources...though if they are wrong that is weird cause they should check it. But meh...if you find it that is nice, though my other point still stands of when did they fight.

Ok Folks - I have Checked - but was not able to find it there (so where did I see it??? - I'm sure I have somewhere - non wookiepedia) - but I would have to go with Wolf and say that there is no verified source so far with Qui Gon duelling with Windu

I did find:

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.

I'm all for giving Qui Gon some Love - it seems that he had proven himself quite thoroughly :)

Also on a side note - (given all the Exar Kun talk here)

Back in the Day I always used to see Kun being stated to be a Makashi master (before I saw the Niman stuff)

So, for all you guys more knowledgable about Exar Kun:

Was he a Makashi master or was this a mistake?

Or could he have originally been a Makashi master that decided to take up Niman because of the versatility and potential of the style (where he could expand upon the skills that he had already learned)?

Is there any connection between Kun and Makashi?

Ok Folks - I have Checked - but was not able to find it there (so where did I see it??? - I'm sure I have somewhere - non wookiepedia) - but I would have to go with Wolf and say that there is no verified source so far with Qui Gon duelling with Windu

I did find:

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.

I'm all for giving Qui Gon some Love - it seems that he had proven himself quite thoroughly :)

Is that from the Phantom Menace novel?

I too agree that Jinn is a most capable swordsman. However his style doesn't seem to stretch much beyond Ataru and he failed to perfect the form entirely. So I would say he's better than a 'battlemaster' such as Baas.

That said I think we should reconsider Shaak Ti's position. New contenders have come to light who are arguably more skilled than she, Jinn among them. But at the same time a comparison between Jinn and Fisto may be necessary.

So for now perhaps we should focus on the Prequel contenders i.e. Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto, Qui-Gon Jinn and Plo Koon. Rank them, and then compare them to Vodo Siosk-Baas and Corran Horn.

And thanks for the info Fellblade.

Also on a side note - (given all the Exar Kun talk here)

Back in the Day I always used to see Kun being stated to be a Makashi master (before I saw the Niman stuff)

So, for all you guys more knowledgable about Exar Kun:

Was he a Makashi master or was this a mistake?

Or could he have originally been a Makashi master that decided to take up Niman because of the versatility and potential of the style (where he could expand upon the skills that he had already learned)?

Is there any connection between Kun and Makashi?

False rumor it would seem, discussion on Wookieepedia indicates that a certain website was spreading false information that Star Wars Insider was claiming Exar Kun to be a Makashi master.

But this has been proven to be 'fanon'.

Is that from the Phantom Menace novel?

I too agree that Jinn is a most capable swordsman. However his style doesn't seem to stretch much beyond Ataru and he failed to perfect the form entirely. So I would say he's better than a 'battlemaster' such as Baas.

That said I think we should reconsider Shaak Ti's position. New contenders have come to light who are arguably more skilled than she, Jinn among them. But at the same time a comparison between Jinn and Fisto may be necessary.

So for now perhaps we should focus on the Prequel contenders i.e. Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto, Qui-Gon Jinn and Plo Koon. Rank them, and then compare them to Vodo Siosk-Baas and Corran Horn.

And thanks for the info Fellblade.

yep that quote is from the Phantom Menace novel.

I don't know enough about Vodo Siosk-Baas and Corran horn to make any genuine comparrissons.

However from that list of prequel contenders - I would vote Qui Gon Jinn and Plo Koon - hell, even Shaak Ti....just NO Fisto :p

whats wrong with fisto, Honestly I do not think Ti should be on this list she may have been exhausted but she preformed terribly against grievous in both times they faced While Fisto preformed much better honestly I am not sure the remainders of the prequel jedi belong above either Baas or Corran Horn.

According to Drew she was a Weapon's Master, but I'm going to put that down to an error on his part as Weapon Masters according to the Jedi Path and other sources is one who forgoes the use of a lightsaber in favour of other kinds of weaponary - with the exception of a saberstaff - yet Lsu dedicated herself to lightsaber combat exclusively.

So I expect he meant Battlemaster, it certainly fits her description better. Silly Drew. :rolleyes:

He also said Sirak uses Vaapad.

Did you not see the Clone Wars episode? Ventress pretty handedly defeats Unduli - though she was blinded. You can see the fight
Yeah, I doubt she was as good as Dooku or Koon.

P.S. Yeah, its in German. And for various reasons I've watched that video loads of times. So now Unduli is German for me, and all I can think about is her saying "schlampig". :p

Um. Yes, I did see the episode. Hence my saying Plo Koon is superior to Unduli.

In fact, Plo Koon vs. Ventress proves his superiority to the majority of the Jedi Order.

He also said Sirak uses Vaapad.
Well that's acceptable, because he established in Book 1 that Juyo was also referred to as Vaapad. Though why that was a necessary plot point I don't know.
Um. Yes, I did see the episode. Hence my saying Plo Koon is superior to Unduli.

In fact, Plo Koon vs. Ventress proves his superiority to the majority of the Jedi Order.

Oh sorry, I misread. Well at least you got to see Unduli say schlampig. :p
Not sure if serious...
Oh I'm deadly serious. Let's review the facts:

Plo Koon - was considered amongst the most skilled swordsman in the Jedi Order.

Saesee Tinn - Having trained as a Jedi Guardian, Saesee Tiin possessed exceptional prowess with a lightsaber, wielding many over his long career.

Agen Kolar - Mace Windu himself, considered one of the greatest duelists in the Order's history, found Kolar's abilities considerable. The Jedi Council felt that Windu and Kolar alone would provide a significant counter to Darth Sidious were the Sith Lord to reveal himself..

Simply put, all three have been touted as exceptional duelists and some of the best in the Order. And we don't have much more information on their abilities beyond that. So who is to say who is superior? You?

P.S. Yeah, I got that from Wookieepedia. Deal with it.

whats wrong with fisto, Honestly I do not think Ti should be on this list she may have been exhausted but she preformed terribly against grievous in both times they faced While Fisto preformed much better honestly I am not sure the remainders of the prequel jedi belong above either Baas or Corran Horn.
A good point actually, though Fisto's form did prove an advantage, Shaak Ti was slapped down and slapped down hard. But then again, this is the OPed Grievous we are talking about here...

I do however believe Baas should be placed above Shaak Ti.

Apparently you have decided to exclude all of the facts in your "observation."

Very well, then.

No offense Aurbere but these short remarks aren't helping anyone. They are just frustrating and purposeless, if you have a point to make, then make it. Don't just sit on it and expect us to guess. Jeez.

Its just unfair on other people if you choose to disregard their argument, but offer no reason why.

Edited by Beniboybling

A good point actually, though Fisto's form did prove an advantage, Shaak Ti was slapped down and slapped down hard. But then again, this is the OPed Grievous we are talking about here...

I do however believe Baas should be placed above Shaak Ti.

Agreed. Although I would like to see more consideration given to some of the NJO masters, like Katarn and Saba.