MM pvp questions

Xethis

Assassin has been my main since launch, but I am pretty sure I will retire my Assassin when 2.4 goes live. I am just so sick of the shortcomings that AC has. Anyways, gonna join you Snipers in all your glory.

I pretty much leveled my Sniper as Engineering and Lethality, going back and forth every couple of levels. I really love all the AOE that the Eng Sniper can put out, and just the sounds of all the bombs and grenades going off gave me a good feeling. All those yellow numbers all over the screen felt really good. Double Wallbanging someone has got to be one of the funnest things to do in this game. Lethality was really smooth. It could do pretty good AOE with CG and when you Cull someone, it was really really gratifying. So many yellow numbers streaming off of someone, the target animation that let everyone know that this guys is in serious trouble. I absolutely loved it. Now I have recently learned that MM is going to be the premier spec going into arenas. I am now MM and I am a bit out of my element with all the casting and the sound of FT is starting to get quite annoying.

I have looked quite a bit on these forums and other sites for some pvp videos or guides, but the only thing I can find is pretty much centered around pve. Was wondering if you guys knew of any MM Sniper footage or guides out there that show them getting it done in Ranked matches, or high level pvp. All I can find on Youtube is lowbie stuff. Pretty much all the Snipers that like to show off are doing it with Lethality or Engineering.

From the pve guides that are out there, they show that its best to start off with a couple Snipes then FT, then go into your rotation. But sometimes I find just casting Ambush/FT upfront gives me more pressure faster, even though it isn't optimum dps by taking advantage of the reduced cast of Ambush. I have even adopted starting off with SoS/FT, SV, then SoS/FT again before I even think about Snipe or Ambush. And now I find that if I am full nrg I just put EP in front of SoS for even more upfront pressure, don't even notice the nrg loss. Are these legit tactics for front loaded burst for switching targets or getting some quick pressure on a focus target as healer or tank is cc'd.

Could I please get some of you experienced guys to give out some tips for rotations and what not, for maximizing initial burst? CC tacticts, like, do you guys roll first and use the CP as the secondary cc, or vice versa. Maybe some tips on effective ways to go against other classes, ways to deal with PT's Maras, and Sins. Maintaining LoS, with the other specs, there where dots and grenades you could toss while moving around, there was always something you could do while maintaining your LoS. Now with MM, I am running around and not doing anything till I get to me new spot lol.

It just felt with Engineering and Lethality the rotations and abilities were smooth, I felt fluent. With MM I feel like I am lost a bit, like I am not utilizing my skills to their potential. IDK.

MM pvp is more about bursting than following the same rotation as in pve.

In pvp, you want to burst down them before they even notice. Good way to do so is to:

shatter -> probe -> ambush -> sos -> sv -> sos. Deals about a 25-40k burst in the span of 5-6s and most of them dont even notice their being targeted until they start to lose health. However, if it's a 1v1 situation then it's more important to immobilize them.

Leg shot -> probe -> ambush -> sos -> ft -> pulse -> sv -> sov

if anyone reaches you or you start to take too much damage, use covered escape to roll away. If they catch on to what you are doing and try to use LOS, instead of popping ambush (the long cast) use SOS instead of ambush followed by sv and sos.

also, entrench is your friend

Normally I play engineer aswell, but when I do play MM, mostly Huttballs my "opening rotiation if im just sitting still shotting with no pressure" would be

Shatter Shot ---> Ex. Probe ---> SoS --->FT --->Laze Target "instant" Snipe ---> snipe ----> Ambush "with proc for fast cast"

This "rotation" makes your snipes practically free and makes your ambush activiation short aswell.

As MM i will never cast ambush without the proc, its a waste of time, and 2 snipes doesnt really take long to cast, seeing as 1 is instant.

Guess the suprise of being hit by ambush as the first tick of dmg that also sets of ex. probe can be nice, but there a big red dot on your target when casting ambush, which any half decent player will see anyway. If he wants to LoS you in the 2.5s casting time, he likely will. So get the proc for a shorter cast first imo.

And yea, dont really play MM alot, so i may be dead wrong, but I like to use the passive buffs the tree actually gives me, even though it aint PvE :D

But agian, its PvP. Not really such a thing as rotations, you will be doing alot other things in between dmg that will break your rotation constantly, but this aint a loss. Scoreboard doesnt show how many heals you interrupted, how many seconds you rooted sentinels/marauders keeping them from smashing teammates etc etc.

About 1 vs 1's where did Notomorrow's thread go? Contained alot of very usefull information?

Edited by ZipZep

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely open with Ambush these days. Smart players simply pop a defensive cooldown a second after they see the target on them.

I've learned the art of patience.

If not noticed right away I start with our usual debuffs and perhaps probe then SoS + followthrough to proc the energy reduction for snipe. I then judge if I was noticed. If so I usually see a defense thrown up but if not I might fake an Ambush to make them use a defense ... then escape out of it. If so I respond according to the defense. If tech damage can penetrate I simply throw some tech attacks out, perhaps flash bang to burn their break free or wait out their defense, look for positional advantage and ready my defenses for their return fire. Once I see their key defenses down I root and unload and play the dps game we do so good.

ONLY when I know my Ambush will hit will I used it. It is also a defensive ability for us with it's knockback. I save my root to pair with Ambush knockback if not using my aoe knockback.

I understand the appeal of front loading for the shock and awe of it but when it fails to work you are left far too vulnerable after. Against good players I find back loading damage is far better than front loading it. I do this all the time against other slinger/snipers. It looks like they are kicking my butt early in the fight then ... BAM! Their health drops so fast after their defense run out that I am sure they are thinking "WTFRANKFURTER!"

MM DPS rotation is pretty easy but in pvp you have to know when to break from it and when to return to it due to the dynamics of pvp.