The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 13: Ulic Qel-Droma vs. Darth Zannah

Aurbere

Welcome to the thirteenth match of The BattleZone! This is a tournament-style battle between thirty-two of the greatest Jedi and Sith in galactic history. They all enter The BattleZone to decide who is the greatest combatant.

This match shall pit students of two incredibly powerful Sith Lords against one another when the apprentice of Darth Bane faces the apprentice of Exar Kun. What will happen when the sorceress Darth Zannah meets the warrior Ulic Qel-Droma? It’s time to find out only in The BattleZone!

Battlefield: Ossus Great Library

Lightsaber Skill:

Ulic Qel-Droma:

Ulic Qel-Droma was instructed by the legendary Jedi Master Arca Jeth, amongst others. He was a master of Form V: Djem So, a form built around a strong defense followed by immediate counter-attack, and dominating the duel through strength. His fall to the Dark Side only increased his savagery and dueling capabilities.

As a swordsman, Ulic Qel-Droma was easily one of the best duelists of his day, skilled enough to hold his own against the deadly Exar Kun during their brief duel. Together, the two Sith Lords were easily the best duelists of their era. Even when blinded to the Force, Qel-Droma was still capable of going toe-to-toe with trained Jedi swordsmen.

Darth Zannah:

Darth Zannah was trained in Soresu by Darth Bane. Bane instructed her in Soresu to compensate for her lack of any real physical strength. Zannah used Soresu in combination with a modified double-bladed lightsaber with blades three-fourths their normal length, sacrificing range for greater control.

Because of Zannah’s petite frame and lack of strength, her defense was focused primarily on deflecting attacks instead of meeting them head on. Her strategies in lightsaber combat were primarily focused on avoiding attacks and patience, classic Soresu. Her defensive abilities were strong, capable of withstanding the onslaught of Darth Bane.

However, Zannah had no real offensive capabilities. She was able to finish her opponents off after tiring them out, but given the opportunity to go on the offensive she has no real strategy. After Darth Bane had been disarmed during their final duel on Ambria, Zannah’s lack of offensive strategies and Bane’s skill in unarmed combat leveled the playing field.

Edge: Darth Zannah was said to have mastered Soresu. However, she never expanded on her style, only mastering the bare minimum. Zannah may be skilled, but she is still subject to all of Soresu’s weaknesses. Darth Bane only taught her how to circumvent her weaknesses, not eliminate them. Ulic Qel-Droma has refined his skill over years, and achieved a high-level mastery of the Djem So style. Ulic’s actual mastery of his chosen style gets him the edge.

Physicality:

Ulic Qel-Droma:

Ulic Qel Droma is an aging human male. He is strong and tough, as well as agile. He also has a high tolerance for pain, withstanding a great deal of torture after being captured by the Krath Cult.

However, Ulic Qel-Droma has a notable weakness. During the Great Sith War he was hit by shrapnel from an explosion. His recovery was limited because of the Sith Magic that bombarded him. While the wound isn’t necessarily debilitating, it will make fighting difficult over time.

Darth Zannah:

Darth Zannah was in her thirties when she became the Dark Lord of the Sith. Physically she has a small frame. She is highly athletic and acrobatic, but she has weaknesses. She is not physically strong, nor is she physically durable.

Edge: Despite Zannah’s lack of physical strength and durability, Ulic Qel-Droma’s shrapnel wound will become a major factor should their duel carry on for long. Ulic Qel-Droma has nearly every physical advantage, but his abdominal wound will play a factor as time passes. Zannah gets the edge as time goes on.

Mentality:

Ulic Qel-Droma

Ulic Qel-Droma served as the primary tactician of the Krath military, and masterminded several bloody campaigns during the Great Sith War. His prominence led to him being seen as the face of the Krath threat, but Exar Kun was the true mastermind.

Ulic Qel-Droma had a keen tactical mind, but he was arrogant, though this never truly clouded his judgment.

He also had his flaws. Qel-Droma was often vulnerable to the lure of the Dark Side, but that is unlikely to matter as he is now a Sith Lord. Despite his allegiance, Ulic cared for his former friends and allies, going so far as to sabotage Exar Kun’s plans to save them.

Darth Zannah:

Darth Zannah was a cunning and seductive Sith Lord, using her physical features and Force abilities to go about the business of the Sith, namely infiltration. She was also an intelligent fighter.

But Zannah is plagued by mental weaknesses. If she were to be unbalanced in combat, she panics, and she frantically tries to regain her composure. She had a lack of situational awareness, which nearly killed her during the final Duel on Ambria. Her lack of situational awareness was the product of a complete focus on her target at the expense of all else. However, this focus did allow her to predict the actions of her opponents and exploit their weaknesses, but it has notable disadvantages.

Edge: Darth Zannah is a cunning Sith Lord, and intelligent warrior. Just as Ulic Qel-Droma is an excellent tactician. However, Zannah’s mental disadvantages outweigh Ulic’s, and these disadvantages are costly ones.

Force Powers:

Ulic Qel-Droma:

Ulic Qel-Droma was a powerful Jedi and Sith Lord.

He was proficient at the Jedi Mind Trick technique. When he became a Sith Lord, these abilities advanced to full mind control.

His offensive telekinetic capabilities were strong, and he developed a leaning towards the Force Choke ability.

Ulic Qel-Droma was especially proficient at increasing his physical capabilities.

Darth Zannah:

Darth Zannah possessed a highly advanced mastery of the esoteric powers of the Dark Side. She specialized in the arts of Sith Sorcery. She was able to use subtle Sith Spells to conceal her Force signature, and to project a false Light Side aura to infiltrate the Jedi Temple itself.

She also developed a talent in the natural mind-affecting talents in Sith Sorcery. Her abilities attacked the mind, bringing out the target’s fears to attack them. The attack is capable of driving the afflicted target mad. These illusions could be resisted. If the subject has laid their fears to rest, they would only need sufficient willpower to dispel the illusions.

Her powers for Sith Sorcery advanced to the ability to summon Dark Side Tendrils from the ground to attack her foes. The tendrils possessed the power to completely destroy what they come in contact with. However, this technique is incredibly energy inefficient, and requires the power of a Dark Side nexus to use.

Darth Zannah was also capable of advanced telekinetic abilities. As a child she was capable of snapping the necks of the Jedi that killed her friend the Ruusan bouncer. She was also capable of using the Force to cause a target’s limbs to explode. However, these telekinetic abilities were not normally used.

Edge: There can be no doubt that Darth Zannah is more powerful than Ulic Qel-Droma. However, Zannah’s Sorcery abilities required a great deal of concentration, and using them detracted from her abilities in lightsaber combat, and her advanced telekinetic skills were rarely used. This is the same for Ulic Qel-Droma. But despite their abilities being rarely used, or difficult to use, they are still available to them. But the original statement stands, Darth Zannah is more powerful than Ulic, and she gets the edge as a Force user.

(Note that when I give the edge to someone, it is only my opinion based on the evidence provided.)

Thoughts: Remember that the Great Library has many mazes and pathways designed to keep unworthy students from accessing the darker knowledge held within.

Who will win? Who is truly superior? Who will come out on top when these two Sith Lords step into The BattleZone?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts: Remember that the Great Library has many mazes and pathways designed to keep unworthy students from accessing the darker knowledge held within.

Who will win? Who is truly superior? Who will come out on top when these two Sith Lords step into The BattleZone?

Curious, and maybe stupid, question. We know that Sith artifacts give off some Dark Side Energy/Presence. If the battle were to move to an area of the library with a few of said artifacts in a very near vicinity, would Zannah be able to channel this to feed her sorcery? I think it's clear if she were to put one on (ie an amulet) her sorercy would be boosted but curious if being in the presence along is enough.

Either way I think if Zannah can hold off an onslaught from Bane and Sarro Xaj of which was boosted by battle mediation (and she was 10 years before seizing the Dark Lord title), she can hold of Qel-Droma in general and espeically to the point where his wound is a problem. After that she can finish him off with either sorcery or the saber or a combination as in "Rule of Two". Patience is one trait that Zannah clearly is not lacking.

Regardless of how close or who really was more powerful between Bane and Zannah, fact of the matter is that Zannah was able to defeat Bane. Bane (#10 Sith) is a more powerful combatant than any than Qel-Droma has ever defeated (as a brief dual resulting in a draw with Kun way before Kun's prime is obviously not a victory for Qel-Droma). Zannah should win.

Edited by sell-dog

Curious, and maybe stupid, question. We know that Sith artifacts give off some Dark Side Energy/Presence. If the battle were to move to an area of the library with a few of said artifacts in a very near vicinity, would Zannah be able to channel this to feed her sorcery? I think it's clear if she were to put one on (ie an amulet) her sorercy would be boosted but curious if being in the presence along is enough.

There are no items of any kind in the arena.

(as a brief dual resulting in a draw with Kun way before Kun's prime is obviously not a victory for Qel-Droma). Zannah should win.

Kun was still the best duelist in the galaxy at that time.

Zannah can win if she can utilize her sorcery, but Ulic has her on dueling. While both of their dueling feats are...lacking, Ulic at least stalemating against Kun(even if the latter was just using 1 saber, though sources say the fighting could still have continued) is better. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

There are no items of any kind in the arena.

Kun was still the best duelist in the galaxy at that time.

Right Kun was the best duelist in the galaxy at that time but as you mention the duel was brief. What happens if that duel wasn't interrupted? Example from Episode 1 to illustrate my point and hopefully doesn't sidetrack the thread. Qui-Gon and Maul had a brief duel on Tatooine that was essentially a draw. Then later on Naboo, in a lengthier battle, Maul wins. Yes getting a draw with Kun is quite impressive but the duel was brief. Zannah beat Bane in a lengthy battle were both used more/all of their respective repertoire.

Right Kun was the best duelist in the galaxy at that time but as you mention the duel was brief. What happens if that duel wasn't interrupted? Example from Episode 1 to illustrate my point and hopefully doesn't sidetrack the thread. Qui-Gon and Maul had a brief duel on Tatooine that was essentially a draw. Then later on Naboo, in a lengthier battle, Maul wins. Yes getting a draw with Kun is quite impressive but the duel was brief. Zannah beat Bane in a lengthy battle were both used more/all of their respective repertoire.

That's just it though, it wasn't a straight up saber duel they used all of what they had. So Zannah can win if she utilizes all of what she has, since her Force Ability is greater then Ulic's.

Zannah can win if she can utilize her sorcery, but Ulic has her on dueling. While both of their dueling feats are...lacking, Ulic at least stalemating against Kun(even if the latter was just using 1 saber, though sources say the fighting could still have continued) is better.

Zannah has on multiple occasions has defended herself and defeated opponents much larger than her. Yes she uses a combination of sorcery and lightsaber skill in combat but I don't see why that means her feats are lacking. Given the sources and information available (ie no info yet on how Cognus become Dark Lord), Zannah is one of those Sith Lords that never lost in combat. Palps and Vader, both obviously much more powerful than Zannah, cannot say the same to list a couple examples. Sure Zannah's dueling skills aren't as sexy as other people but she gets the job done with her unique sorcery saber combo.

Edited by sell-dog

Zannah has on multiple occasions has defended herself and defeated opponents much larger than her. Yes she uses a combination of sorcery and lightsaber skill in combat but I don't see why that means her feats are lacking. Given the sources and information available (ie no info yet on how Cognus become Dark Lord), Zannah is one of those Sith Lords that never lost in combat. Palps and Vader, both obviously much more powerful than Zannah, cannot say the same to list a couple examples. Sure Zannah's dueling skills aren't as sexy as other people but she gets the job done with her unique sorcery saber combo.

They are lacking in the sense, that she didn't have many duels. But as said yes with her combination of her saber skill + sorcery she can win this.

Zannah can win if she utilizes all of what she has, since her Force Ability is greater then Ulic's.

It's probably obvious that I agree with you there :D

Zannah is able to combine saber with sorcery in all her battles. Any scenario needs to incorporate this as well

Before saying that Zannah's Sith Sorcery will give her the win, first discuss whether or not it will be effective. Zannah's spells attack the mind using the target's fears. If the target has the willpower, they can dispel her illusions.
Even Jedi High Council members were completely susceptible to Zannah's mental attacks, and Bane was only able to resist through sheer strength of will combined with actual knowledge of how to counter the technique. I see no evidence to suggest that Ulic was as strong willed as Bane given the fact that he "never learned to distinguish dark illusions from real life" and had an emotional breakdown after killing his brother, nor does he possess the knowledge of how to resist it. He will be caught completely off guard and have no time to steel his mind as Bane did.

As long as Zannah can hold Ulic off long enough, which given her performance against arguably a superior and more power duelist she likely could, she can use her Sith Magic to assault his mind and drive him insane, shortly before killing him. I see this duel progressing much like Zannah's duel against Bane, only according to her original plans.

Edited by Beniboybling

Even Jedi High Council members were completely susceptible to Zannah's mind, and Bane was only able to resist through sheer strength of will combined with actual knowledge of how to counter the technique. I see no evidence to suggest that Ulic was as strong willed as Bane given the fact that he "never learned to distinguish dark illusions from real life" and had an emotional breakdown after killing his brother, nor does he possess the knowledge of how to resist it. He will be caught completely off guard and have no time to steel his mind as Bane did.

As long as Zannah can hold Ulic off long enough, which given her performance against arguably a superior and more power duelist she likely could, she can use her Sith Magic to assault his mind and drive him insane, shortly before killing him. I see this duel progressing much like Zannah's duel against Bane, only according to her original plans.

The obvious answer...

Seems like Zannah's the popular choice.

Ok sorry I'm late :D

I agree that Zannah will use her force illusion techniques on droma, to maybe let her catch her breath, or cast an even deadlier spell. Her quickness will be an advantage in the pathways of the Library. What if she uses her soresu mastery and quickness, to tire out qel-droma, and lead him to an open space so she can take advantage of her sorcery and finish him off? It depends on how good of a duelist qel-droma is. I'm sure his pretty good, but zannah is tha bauss!!

Lol.

I gotta say, I'm not surprised. What was the term, Beni? "Seeding?" That's going to happen a few times throughout this series.

Yeah something like that...

I was actually hoping Ulic would get thrrough so Traya can capitalise on his injury, but ah well, she has a plan for taking down Zannah too. :jawa_evil:

...but you're probably going to tell me that they won't ever face eachother so oh well! :p

I was actually hoping Ulic would get thrrough so Traya can capitalise on his injury, but ah well, she has a plan for taking down Zannah too. :jawa_evil:

...but you're probably going to tell me that they won't ever face eachother so oh well! :p

Traya can just Gobble Gobble Zannah :rak_03:

Based on the bracket, the only way for Traya and Zannah to face each other is if Plo Koon, Vader, Exar Kun, Darth Krayt, Satele Shan, Shaak Ti, Count Dooku, Darth Plagueis, and Darth Malgus were eliminated.

So the odds are roughly 3,720 to 1. ;)

Well, peeps. Either you're all getting better at this, or I'm just bad at making matches. Either way, this is the shortest match in the BattleZone. Obviously I don't have to say who won.
No reason to drag it out... in some situations the match is close, but the winner clear nonetheless.

Next BattleZone! :D

Yeah.....it was Han Solo right?

He shot first, so yeah.

No reason to drag it out... in some situations the match is close, but the winner clear nonetheless.

Next BattleZone! :D

Yes, on to the next. I'm going to post an update in the home thread tomorrow.

This debate is practically over but I thought I'd draw our attention to Jensaarai's newest video - a collaborative effort with another YouTuber, hence why its on his channel.

I don't have time to watch it now, but I'm certainly interested to know how he managed to created a 50 minute video on the little information we have on these characters. Shaak Ti also made it too the next round am I correct?

Anyway, yah, 53 minutes of FUN! :D

This debate is practically over but I thought I'd draw our attention to Jensaarai's newest video - a collaborative effort with another YouTuber, hence why its on his channel.

I don't have time to watch it now, but I'm certainly interested to know how he managed to created a 50 minute video on the little information we have on these characters. Shaak Ti also made it too the next round am I correct?

Anyway, yah, 53 minutes of FUN! :D

Sounds about right.