Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

angel_dust

I am a huge FF fan. I actually really enjoyed FF XI. All the reviewers keep saying FFXIV is a huge step forward, but as far as I can tell its a huge step back. For starters they totally scrapped half the classes/jobs .... I was a Thief in FFXI, now that class doesn't exist. You are basically a fighter or a magic user (yes their is variation within those 2 fields black mage / white mage ... gladiator / lancer .... but in general the class options suck). Anyone who was around for SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) should know scrapping classes ticks off a user base like nothing else. Second, They stuck with the formula of 3 cities where you start based on class .... This makes the world as a whole feel really small. Third, No factions ..... The Elder Scrolls Online game found a solution to this .... I wish FF had as well.

Half of my guild went inactive because of FF14.

I think FF14 has potential to come out ahead of its competitors. It implemented a lot of the facebook games elements that girls love, like farming, house building, decorating... etc. with good graphics and systems too. That is a whole new demographic of audience that no other MMO has tapped into before. My wife got interested in FF14 because of these elements, which may eventually drag me into it too...

That space PvP better come out soon, or SWTOR is going to quickly lose ground.

Star Wars Galaxies had that demographic and did it better than anyone I've seen to date. Then they scrapped it all and tried to turn it into a first person shooter.

lol what? FF11 wasn't even a blip on the map. As for SW:TOR at launch...yeah, there were queues. That's about it. It was really smooth (besides the graphical glitches, but we're not talking about that). Now, if you want to discuss their server sizes etc...that I can get behind.

Yes FF11 was huge in its time, it was pre-Wow, Pre-SWG, pre almost all MMO's except Everquest. In its prime it was 2nd largest among MMO's (behind everquest).

Yes FF11 was huge in its time, it was pre-Wow, Pre-SWG, pre almost all MMO's except Everquest. In its prime it was 2nd largest among MMO's (behind everquest).

The problem is - FF14 does not seem to be much more than a graphical improvement on FF11, with a whole bunch of classes and content removed. After 12 years they've stepped backwards.