Get rid of MVP votes in WZ

AveryLuna

This has got to be the most useless thing in the game. "Get MVP votes to see how good you were" I can be the only person getting 15 medals, call INC like crazy, heal a lot, and dish a lot of pain to enemies all in one match and end up with NO MVP votes, it's a horribly flawed system that is easy to manipulate to your own gain or your team-mates. It needs to be scrapped because all it does is give false hope that "Maybe since I saved the day on numerous occasions by doing so well to help the team" and end up with 0 votes but one person who came second to last on the team your on gets 4 MVP votes.

I do not get MVP votes at all either. In people's minds, its the one who has the most kills usually get's mvp. I notice that A LOT of games a lot of the time. If not all of them. You can have most medals, while defending turrets from a massive horde of people coming to kill you, stay alive WHILE typing and commanding people where to go and win it for your team by holding the line and being positive while staying firm and a good leader and you still will not get mvp.

I have had it happen too many times to me on my trooper and sage. Shame really people can't see what is truly good for the team. But I guess it makes the people feel good when they get em :) The person who leads the team should be the mvp.

I understand what you are saying though :)

I know where you're coming from here. I actually once played through a match of Voidstar where I planted EVERY single bomb, and opened the avenue for a double sided attack (I was the only guy that used the avenue :rolleyes:), AND killed off all enemies AND saved my ****** team when they somehow let the oppossing ****** team plant. That amounted to about 18.5k objective points.

Look at leaderboard, surprise surpirse, some terribad has 3 MvP votes, while I get 2. Why? 400k heals (I did not receive a single heal in the wz, Noble Sacrifice -> Heal = awesome numbers?), and 6.5k objective points, likely all defender points from standing at the door no one attacked.

People just like to see big numbrs. They don't observe context, usefulness to team, and stuff like that; big numbers means big votes.

When I recently played Focus spec, having 300-400k damage was enough to warrant between 1 and 3 votes everytime, as it was far more than most of the PuGs can manage. :D

This has got to be the most useless thing in the game. "Get MVP votes to see how good you were" I can be the only person getting 15 medals, call INC like crazy, heal a lot, and dish a lot of pain to enemies all in one match and end up with NO MVP votes, it's a horribly flawed system that is easy to manipulate to your own gain or your team-mates. It needs to be scrapped because all it does is give false hope that "Maybe since I saved the day on numerous occasions by doing so well to help the team" and end up with 0 votes but one person who came second to last on the team your on gets 4 MVP votes.

So basically, your only problem with this is that you don't get as many votes as you think you should?

The system works fine, people just don't think you're as good as you think you are.

I've actually been yelled at on my sniper for getting MVP votes.

Yes, I regularly post 300k damage. I also 3 shot people on turrets, regularly break out of my perfect sniper nest to run in and melee stun as needed, plant myself in HORRIBLE locations simply to purposefully get shot up and or act as a literal wal for the enemy team. I will do what no sniper should ever do, break my cover to run in and stun/stab/capture nodes/plant bombs using my cover to prevent leaps and bunker to prevent stuns (which is what most people do, so few people just shoot you that I've had 3 people running at me firing off stuns wondering why I was still able to plant a bomb...).

I get MVP votes all the time from pugs, and people who pvp regularly see my sniper's name enough that I have recognition working in my favor. When I call incoming I always give numbers and even warn of stealthers, I'll call incomings for nods I am not even defending due to spotting it prior to the node defenders from across the battlefield.

It really boils down to how you talk and how you interact with your team. Come in and act like you are people's boss, and you won't be recieving many MVP votes even if you do post big numbers. Be friendly and people toss votes at you even on an 'off' game. I very rarely see active healers not recieve atleast one vote a game unless said healer was also a *****. There are many times I see the highest damage count individual fail to get votes however.

MVP is given very often to guildmats first, I am ok with that. It is also very frequently given to healers and those people actually SEE doing things. Someone calling out that they will take defense duty usually will net 1-2 votes just for that. That same person tells the 2nd person with them to go ahead and hunt for a kill or two nearby and you'll call if you see incoming...you just earned 3-4 votes typically. Or...in my case...take up a sniper position too far to get defender points yet people are seeing enemies drop from sniper fire infront of them? Yup...I get 2-3 votes a game if I'm on one of the maps that offer such a position for me to take advantage of.

Any game I do a job that people don't see, such as a sniper nest defense position that isn't being hit too hard, I'll get nothing. Or if I am on a stealth character planting bombs (people don't see this so they rarely see who did it)...you won't get votes unless you also lay claim to your deed in ops chat. It really is that simple, are you friendly and visible, or are you quiet and invisible?

If you really want to be mad, be mad at the tanks who do admirable jobs and rarely get noticed! One night had me paired with a tank all 10 games one after another. Rather than guarding the healer that would be with us, he regularly guarded my sniper as I was the target most often chosen by the enemy team (people target you over healers when you are 3-4 shotting them regularly, it's beautiful when you get crit streaks going as a sniper) and the tank only ever recieved one vote despite having over 100k guard damage taken every game, the vote I gave them every game for saving my arse.

It is what it is, no, it is not fair or calculable, it is human nature. I rather like it as it's shown me a few people I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, such as a very quiet operative healer that doesn't top charts but sneaks turrets and bombs like no other and knows how to lurk in stealth while a battle rages around them to allow enemies to get target locked before hopping out to heal. Good guy, and smart, but it costs him o the heal meter and so gets out healed by the more traditional healers and thus overlooked alot.

If you view the vote for your own personal epeen waving, that is your problem. I rather like it, even when I get no votes as it's a way of recognizing whatever you saw happen in the warzone.

If you really want to be truly mad, make it so if people don't vote they can't re-que for 10 minutes. These are the self-righteous types that can't be bothered recognizing any contribution to the team but their own.

It's not anger about the issue, I just find it stupid and flawed. You said yourself tanks get next to no recognition, and I tank well, draw the attention to me and reduce their damage to enemies. How you communicate shouldn't matter, it's what you communicate, calling INC should be much better than a "Good job!" halfway through the game since one's practical, the other is just a sense of accomplishment on the past. Guild mates who are last shouldn't be getting MVP since they're not valued, nor contributed as much as other members unless. Healers rarely get recognized either in some cases unless a tank is guarding a healer with great synergy and helping each other out, and I've still gotten next to no recognition for that. Gave the tank a vote though for great assistance. What it boils down to is MVP stands for Most Valued Player, the one who contributed the most to the team, yet people will pick LVP for MVP just because they're guild mates which breaks the purpose of MVP to begin with.

I couldn't care less about MVP period, just that they added it for a completely different reason than it's used for, I only give MVPs out to people who actually did something to help me out, IE tanks or healers or DPS who save my ***. Selfish, but better than giving the LVP who didn't do much of anything shy of guarding one node that was only attacked once a MVP like I see often.

I couldn't care less about MVP period, just that they added it for a completely different reason than it's used for, I only give MVPs out to people who actually did something to help me out, IE tanks or healers or DPS who save my ***. Selfish, but better than giving the LVP who didn't do much of anything shy of guarding one node that was only attacked once a MVP like I see often.

So, then what's your issue with other people giving MVP votes to whoever helped them out?

I usually give my MVP vote to the healers that actually healed not just me but the entire team as well or the tanks that guarded them (or me, if I'm playing my scoundrel healer). I could care less about the guy that did 2 million damage but lost the Voidstar door because he was fighting close to the enemy's spawn area.

It's a pat on the back and a thank you for doing what you're supposed to do. The actual rewards are not important so, again, what's the problem with MVP votes?

Oh and one last thing:

That guy who had the boring job of spending 80-90% of the game guarding empty space?

That guy that guarded the node and successfully kept that one (or two, or three etc) attacker away?

That guy who made the GOOD decision to guard your team's node instead of going back mid/ south/ to the busy Voidstar door to mindlessly DPS people when he really wasn't needed?

Yeah, about that guy... he probably made more of a difference in the outcome than your DPS did. Because you can kill every single thing that comes close to your heavily guarded node, but if you lose your other, less heavily-guarded nodes, you've lost the game. So, show some respect and understand that objective-based Warzones are NOT about hitting 2 mill as a DPS or a Healer. If I know the nodeguard's name and he called incs in time for us to respond, that's who will get my MVP vote. Just FYI.

Edited by TheNahash

Excuse me, but I've done everything equally, I care that it's a useless thing in the game, not that the MVP votes aren't going my way. That person who guards shouldn't be getting 6 votes regardless of any situation, I've never gotten that many in one match, but I see a couple matches where that happens. What people don't get is that (in many cases actually) it's not *********** about me, it's what's bugging me on how they (The creators) made it for a purpose that is abused and manipulated to the wrong affects completely. My experiences are EXAMPLES, not some *********** delusion of grandeur.

I know when I did a good job in a match, like when I join mid match, manage to cap Middle in the middle of a large battle and before INC is even called go over to snow and defend it from attack of about four guys, then basically juggle defending snow and mid without even hearing INC. We came out winning 20 points before our ship was destroyed. Yet ONE person got all the glory, not one was given to me, even though I capped mid and basically gave us a complete victory because of that cap and quick thinking of defense. That's an example so no one is confused. I've been able to call INC while not even being at the node and being right every time just because of observing the enemies numbers. I don't expect ANY MVP votes because I go in alone, do my job well, and go home.

Now tell me, is that being legit use of MVP or is it being abused?

I know when I did a good job in a match, like when I join mid match, manage to cap Middle in the middle of a large battle and before INC is even called go over to snow and defend it from attack of about four guys, then basically juggle defending snow and mid without even hearing INC. We came out winning 20 points before our ship was destroyed. Yet ONE person got all the glory, not one was given to me, even though I capped mid and basically gave us a complete victory because of that cap and quick thinking of defense. That's an example so no one is confused. I've been able to call INC while not even being at the node and being right every time just because of observing the enemies numbers. I don't expect ANY MVP votes because I go in alone, do my job well, and go home.

Now tell me, is that being legit use of MVP or is it being abused?

If someone got 6 votes, they must have

a. done something right

b. been in a premade that for some reason all the other 3 voted for that one guy and others obviously agreed that he was a major help

c. been more "famous" in the PVP community of your server than you are

There have been a few (not many) WZs where I got 6 votes.

I distinctly remember one of them where I really don't think I deserved it, because although I healed my ***** off and kept people alive, the one who won us the match was a Shadow that ninja capped the enemy Pylon a few seconds before the match ended. I saw him do that and I voted for him. Others, apparently didn't. But they saw me healing them and topping the chart in healing so they voted for me.

That was unfair because although I contributed to my team's win, the one who won us the match wasn't me.

But THAT'S what an MVP is - the person that the rest of the team considers the most valuable player in that match. It's not mathematically proven that they did and it couldn't be because numbers don't mean jack if all someone did was mindless dpsing/healing. MVPs are a matter of personal perception, who YOU felt helped the most, and when you see someone healing you or guarding you, you are more likely to vote for them than that other guy who called out incomings.

To sum up, you are asking them to remove something that doesn't really make any difference to the outcome of a Warzone because people don't always have good judgement when it comes to who contributed the most.

(and btw, calling it "abuse" is a bit too much)

Where does that end?

Ganking is an abuse of owPVP.

Should they get rid of owPVP too? And that's real "abuse".

MVP votes are, as I previously said, a pat on the back and a "good job, mate". Nothing more.

I'm happy when I see people voting for me because I feel I did my job right and people saw that, but I'm happier when we win the WZ regardless of whether they'll vote for me or their guildie/uber DPS/ known server "pro".

Edited by TheNahash

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.