Gearing treek as a tank..stats question?

tortcat

I don't have much experience with a heavy armor user tank. JUst a general question.

For treek...what stats percentage wise should I shoot for in terms of:

Defense

Shield

Absorb.

I know on shadows the emphasis is much more on shield and absorb vs defense.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Companion tanks are rediculouly squishy and, unless you have a ton of dps, can't really stand up to more than a couple strong or elite opponents for very long. Part of this has to do with the relatively low armor values they get (only base value as opposed to players who usually get a boost), and part of it has to do with the way ratings are calculated, specifically defense.

As such, I've started practically ignoring defense on my companions. Instead, I've been going on the premise that that they're simply an extra HP bar. That said, the more that tank companion can soak, he bigger the window of opportunity for me to take care of business. They also usually have some sort of cooldown ability that boosts defense, shield, or absorb considerably. I've thought about stacking tanking stats based on that ability, but abandoned it for the "sponge" approach instead of having the potential to be spikey with RNG (yes, there's still a lot of RNG with shield rating, hence the stem heavy mods)

So for my tank companions I've been focusing on shield rating and absorb almost exclusively with endurance prioritized over the companion main stat. Essentially, I'm banking on that shield rating to function as additional "armor" as often as possible and having that extra boost provide as much mitigation as it can. I've found that even the crafted 28 mods provide enough of both to give about 35 or 40% shield chance and roughly the same absorb while still maintaining 10% defense (from implants, ear pieces and such).

All in all, it seems to give me a companion tank that last long enough for me to get the job done with the least amount of headaches on my end from a gearing perspective. Could you do better? Likely. But I, for one, don't really feel like contributing that much time and effort into my companions to get them into rank 72 or higher gear. As with everything, your mileage may vary, but I've found this works great for all of my dps characters. If the companion gets too beat up, just dismiss and re-summon when the fight ends.

Companion tanks are rediculouly squishy and, unless you have a ton of dps, can't really stand up to more than a couple strong or elite opponents for very long. Part of this has to do with the relatively low armor values they get (only base value as opposed to players who usually get a boost), and part of it has to do with the way ratings are calculated, specifically defense.

As such, I've started practically ignoring defense on my companions. Instead, I've been going on the premise that that they're simply an extra HP bar. That said, the more that tank companion can soak, he bigger the window of opportunity for me to take care of business. They also usually have some sort of cooldown ability that boosts defense, shield, or absorb considerably. I've thought about stacking tanking stats based on that ability, but abandoned it for the "sponge" approach instead of having the potential to be spikey with RNG (yes, there's still a lot of RNG with shield rating, hence the stem heavy mods)

So for my tank companions I've been focusing on shield rating and absorb almost exclusively with endurance prioritized over the companion main stat. Essentially, I'm banking on that shield rating to function as additional "armor" as often as possible and having that extra boost provide as much mitigation as it can. I've found that even the crafted 28 mods provide enough of both to give about 35 or 40% shield chance and roughly the same absorb while still maintaining 10% defense (from implants, ear pieces and such).

All in all, it seems to give me a companion tank that last long enough for me to get the job done with the least amount of headaches on my end from a gearing perspective. Could you do better? Likely. But I, for one, don't really feel like contributing that much time and effort into my companions to get them into rank 72 or higher gear. As with everything, your mileage may vary, but I've found this works great for all of my dps characters. If the companion gets too beat up, just dismiss and re-summon when the fight ends.

Just to add to this somewhat, very early in the game after reaching 50, I went to solo a champion in a H4 on belsavis, and I didn't really have any tank mods on Khem, and was really struggling with this boss. So I went out and made 7 new enhancements with shield absorb, and tried it again, and wow, it made a huge difference to the fight. The difference was night and day and I have been a firm believer in those stats for tank companions since.