Need Help Gearing My Jugg Tank

Hostility

Hey, everyone! I'm still pretty new to this and was just wondering if anybody would able to give me some help as to how I should gear my character/companion? I'm a level 30 Jugg full tank on the Immortal tree and my companion is Vette used strictly for DPS. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Hey there. I'm not really sure what kind of help you'd need gearing-wise at level 30, but I'm sure I can be of some help for when you hit 55. You'll want to stack defence like a mofo, your shield rating should be up there and your absorb will be about a third of your shield rating. As an example, I'm currently, I'm sitting at 972 defence (19.79%), 781 shield rating (39.39%) and 238 absorb (26.29%).

You'll hear different things from different sources (for example, Noxxic takes a far more balanced approach to stats while some people on the forums take the "stack defence like it's going out of style" route). My girlfriend directed me to this website here which provides a nifty tool that allows you to input your current stats and then it tells you what you should aim for. I used to take the Noxxic approach, but as of a couple days ago I switched to the other method and it seems to work pretty well.

As far as general advice goes, use redoubt augments on all your gear, the highest level gear isn't necessarily the best (if you have a 66 mod that provides the stats you need but you get a 69 mod that doesn't, you might be better off with the 66). I don't really know what else you need to know. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer those.

Edited by SierraBravo

I leveled my Guardian to 50 as a tank (then switched to DPS), so I can talk about the trip from level 30 until 50 or 55. You know when you complete quests and you get the option of getting planetary commendations? Pick them over the crappy green gear. You can buy orange heavy armour and fill it up with armourings, mods, and enhancements which you buy either on fleet (Supplies section outer ring) or on the planets themselves.

Anywho, I don't think you have access to any real tank gear (which gives absorb/defense/shield/accuracy) until level 40-ish. (Maybe you can start buying stuff that gives at 30? It's been a little while.) As a result, what I did was always picked the mods which gave high endurance. (E.g. pick Guardian armourings over Might armourings.) Whenever I did flashpoints, I would be miles ahead of everyone else because I had so much endurance. Because I wasn't sacrificing any real tanking stats, healers didn't have a tough time healing me. Once you have access to stuff that gives defense/absorb/shield, please pick that over endurance though.

As for Vette, pick gear that is high cunning. (E.g. Skill armouring over Patron armouring.) Again, modifiable gear will give the best stats. :)

Gearing at low levels is really easy. Make sure you have moddable gear, do lots of flashpoints (try doing only the highest level one you can do) to get good drops and planetary comms, and pick planetary comms as rewards instead of the greens during quesing.

Whatever you don't get from drops in flashpoints, buy from modification vendors in the supply section of the fleet. Do buy the armoring (7pc), mods (2pc) and enhancements (2pc) from vendors on fleet, don't buy the equipment (minimun 12pc. 7+2+2=11<12+).

Your companion will do fine with the gear you get for her during questing, but if you're desperate for gearing her up just run more flashpoints to get more comms, and occasionally orange gear if no one *NEEDS* it.

Since you're tanking, the more endurance the better so prefer *guardian* stuff to *might* stuff

Just be sure to buy the highest level armoring available to you. if you have to pick between a guardian *armoring* 13 and a might *armoring* 14, pick the 14 one, because your damage reduction depends on it.

As for enhancements go for ones with power and endurance. Crit is useless, and defense rating won't appear on buyable enhancements before the 40s

Personally, i like to re-gear up every 5 or so levels, or when i reach 90ish planetary comms: i just recently updated at lvl 31 all the gear on my pt tank and it now has everything lvl31, i did it before at lvl 25 and i plan to do it again at lvl 37. In between 31 and 37 i'll just upgrade with what i pick up on flashpoints. This method worked very well with my other toons, you never get the feeling of being underpowered, and once you upgrade you get a feeling of immortality :D

As for defensive stat, theys will start becoming sort of useful only when you're on your late 40s, but with a decent group even then power enhancements will do just fine. They will become necessary only when you go do hardmodes at lvl 50+. When there you're pretty much forced to run flashpoints to gear up. Remember to stay away from alacrity and accuracy enhancements.

Once you're high level (50+) you can refer to this thread to know what stats to aim for. If you're not the math-y kind of guy this tool is based on the maths done in that thread. Just insert your current defensive stats and it will tell you how to alter them to get to the optimal mitigation

Once again thank you to everyone especially Kawabonga

You are very welcome. On a related note, i read one of the posts above mine and frowned a bit. Don't don't don't take noxxic as a reference point for anything. As you will read on the forum, noxxic is famous, or rather infamous, for being a terrible source of information. I used to use it back when i was new to swtor (and didn't hang out in the forums) to better my assassin. I managed to figure out by myself that most of the things in there are just flat out wrong.

I just gave a quick look at the immortal guide for further confirmation. Everything from skill tree to rotation are just not good. If you have doubts you're much better off asking on the forums

Edited by Kawabonga

You are very welcome. On a related note, i read one of the posts above mine and frowned a bit. Don't don't don't take noxxic as a reference point for anything. As you will read on the forum, noxxic is famous, or rather infamous, for being a terrible source of information. I used to use it back when i was new to swtor (and didn't hang out in the forums) to better my assassin. I managed to figure out by myself that most of the things in there are just flat out wrong.

I just gave a quick look at the immortal guide for further confirmation. Everything from skill tree to rotation are just not good. If you have doubts you're much better off asking on the forums

Yea I figured the forums would be the best place for this kind of thing. I mean I know some stuff but I'm still relatively new to MMO's and such so I really appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you so much.