The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW:TOR - ... The Board Game?

tadeoosh

I've been recently browsing BGG forums and was surprised to find that more and more video games are adapted into board games. It isn't really surprising when you think of timeless classics like StarCraft, Warcraft or Heroes of Might and Magic, as they are natural candidates for being adapted sooner or later. However, I was amazed to see that more and more video game companies recently try their hand at commissioning computer-to-board conversions, resulting in curious titles like Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, BioShock or even Crysis being either already published or scheduled for release.

So, given my curiosity and my personal love for board games, I can't help but ask a purely theoretical question:

Would you like to see SW:TOR being adapted into a board game?

Soo.... yes. I know such question may seem weird to some of you, but I don't see why can't we let our imagination loose and theorize a bit (who knows, maybe someone will release such a game someday, lol). I'm really curious what do you think about such idea and what aspects would you want the game to include if an adaptation was to be made. I can't think of any MMOs already converted into board versions other than WOW, which in turn was adapted in a plethora of ways, ranging from trading card and miniature games to traditional 'questing and exploring' ones (there's even a Monopoly version of WOW:D). We all know TOR has a diversity of aspects typical to most MMOs and that capturing all of them in a single adaptation is impossible, so try to pick and describe the one that you would like to see most.

As an avid PVPer, I'd personally love to see an adaptation that includes warzone-like tactical skirmishes with small imperial and republic teams clashing together for a common objective, though I wouldn't mind teaming up for some co-op dungeon-crawl-style flashpoints or operations. What made TOR great to me is the aspect of character customization, so, as for me, giving players options to create more or less varied 'builds' of available classes and to combine them in different teams would be a necessity.

I'd really like to know what do you think about such idea, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts:) I don't know if you feel the same, but I think that SW franchise is really lacking in the area of board games, especially after the fall of Star Wars Miniatures that left X-Wing Minis the only skirmish game left for SW fans (don't even mention this V-sets nonsense...). I know that de gustibus non est disputandum, but I'd sooner associate Star Wars universe with lightsaber duels and blaster shootouts rather than starship battles. I really feel that the franchise could really use a release of a board game with some heroic player confrontations based on iconic SW archetypes (in the Old Republic era or not), and the rising popularity of TOR seems to be a good opportunity for some corporation to acquire the rights to adapt it into something to play with friends without computers:)

My dear man you just haven't tried searching hard enough, you do have your table top rpg star wars games and there is a monopoly version of star wars it may not be the old republic era but they are out there its just a matter of finding them, and with disney now in charge I think we may start seeing a lot more avenues being swooped in on even if they are a niche market it will just be a matter of time.

I put Monopoly name here a bit ironically, the last thing I would want for TOR is being adapted as another (seventh, if I'm not mistaken) SW Monopoly variant :)

About tabletop RPGs in the SW franchise, so far so good - they are decent, to say the least, and I'm 99% certain that if Wizards renewed their SW license, they would eventually make a TOR-era expansion for both Saga Edition as well SW Miniatures. What I was talking about was that, apart from RPGs and card games, there aren't really any tabletops that would draw attention of both board game fans and SW fans. The reason why i set up this thread is that I'm just curious if any of you feel the same, and if yes, what do you think would be nice for SW to have in terms of board games. Who knows, maybe some company will take note?;)