Noob question: leveling builds, and the usefulness of interrupts

SleepyDM

New player here, some questions:

1. Searched the forums, but couldn't find a recommended leveling build for sentinel. What do y'all recommend?

2. I chose sentinel mainly because their interrupt has the lowest CD in the game. For one, is that true? And two, does that matter? By that I mean, is there endgame pve content where that will be useful, or does everyone have enough interrupts regardless? Would putting two points in that talent be a good idea, or would it simply be wasting points that should've gone into dps talents instead?

1. Searched the forums, but couldn't find a recommended leveling build for sentinel. What do y'all recommend?

2. I chose sentinel mainly because their interrupt has the lowest CD in the game. For one, is that true? And two, does that matter? By that I mean, is there endgame pve content where that will be useful, or does everyone have enough interrupts regardless? Would putting two points in that talent be a good idea, or would it simply be wasting points that should've gone into dps talents instead?

Level builds are useless on a sentinel until you in your twenties. Other classes can come into their own early and build on top of that we have to wait until we level up high enough to get about abilities. The good news is that endgame we dwarf almost all classes because we really do have the best and shortest offensive and defensive cooldowns, burst damage etc but you need to play before you get all that.

Until a more skilled player responds here is my take. Sentinels are glass cannons unless you go with adaptive armor and a healer companion. Note that skilled players don't need any of that to tank they are masters of the various cooldowns and priority attacks where they can solo any content, that aint me and I'm guessing that aint you.

Everyone has a knock back move, or stun move in their arsenal. There is nothing more frustrating having your move interrupted and then have to wait for a long cool down. And if you are stuned and their is a mob, which are good odds in many areas, expect to die. Again the big cheat is gear and healer but that's for all classes.

1. Go with Watchman. Until you get enough talents that synergize with Juyo (stacking DoT crit chance, etc), run in Shii-cho because, quite frankly, Shii-cho Zen is stronger at lower levels.

2. Interrupts are everything when you're soloing more challenging enemies like elites and champions - they help a lot when you're not being a wuss and running with a non healing companion. Watchman has the best, or second best interrupt potential in the game (rivalled by hybrid Vanguards/PTs).

As for what the person above said, Sentinel is one of the more gear-dependent classes. If you run in greens 5 levels below your level, it's going to be painful. If you keep yourself modded in equal-level blues, it's a breeze. You get more mitigation at low levels than Guardian, at mid-late levels you get amazing defensive powers like Pacify (essentially negates all "white" damage from the target for 6 secs), Camouflage (short in-combat stealth - great for breaking casts directed at you, reopening, repositioning), last-ditch "kill them before they kill you" Guarded by the Force skill. You get an AoE blind skill (control that breaks on damage), too.

Sentinel has more than enough tools to shine - it just needs some time to get used to.

Edited by Helig