The jump to operations

Hello fellow SWTOR people,

I have a question that i'm sure has been answered some time before, but since my situation might be different i'm just asking again, also for other people who want to know.

I want to start doing operations, because I feel that the HM FP'S are no longer a challenge. Also, I don't need the elite gear anymore. But, I'm a bit worried about how to make the jump to operations. I have a lvl 55 Sentinel Watchman in full Elite gear (1/2 ultimate pieces) and I've been waiting far too long to jump into operations. The thing is, there is so much information out there regarding operations, that I just don't know what to believe and what not.

I don't know if I'm good enough to do operations, because I don't know how to judge this. I have learned that having elite gear doesn't make you a good player, I've seen people in basic gear perform better than fully elite geared people.. But I know my rotation well, also i'm working on getting the right stats (accuracy 100, crit 30 and surge 70) atm. I know all hm tactics for dps, also the new czerka ones.

So, what operation do you recommend to start with? If I know which operation is the easiest, I'll go learn the tactics so that I won't slow dow the team.

Well thanks to anyone who bothers to read my story and maybe answer:)

Edited by Marvoussh

Well first of all it seems your Sent is in a pretty good place in terms of gear and rotation. The first bit of advice I can give you is that you should try have your gear augmented as well. I say this because those small amounts of extra dps can make the difference between taking a boss down and hitting an enrage.

Next being that your Watchman you are viable in any operation your burns and sustained damage are always welcomed. In terms of what Operations to start with I think your too well geared to do the classic Operations such as EV KP but I think maybe start doing EC SM or TFB SM if you can manage those you will be more than ready to harder content.

Join couple of classic ops EV/KP. You will be way overgeared there and there will be little challenge, but you can get a feel for cooperating with larger group and learn the style of mechanics you can expect from fights. Always state clearly you are there first time and people will generally help out. Then you can go L55 ops same as here. I don't have sentinel myself but people tend to think combat performs better now then watchman but that's personal preference I guess.

And best of all oin a guild that does a lot of different tier of ops has voice comms - that's easiest way to learn operations.

Well first of all it seems your Sent is in a pretty good place in terms of gear and rotation. The first bit of advice I can give you is that you should try have your gear augmented as well. I say this because those small amounts of extra dps can make the difference between taking a boss down and hitting an enrage.

Next being that your Watchman you are viable in any operation your burns and sustained damage are always welcomed. In terms of what Operations to start with I think your too well geared to do the classic Operations such as EV KP but I think maybe start doing EC SM or TFB SM if you can manage those you will be more than ready to harder content.

Thank you for your response!

I forgot to mention it, but I already augmented my entire gear:) I've read your post and I'm going to start my first operation later this week, I'll go for EC SM/TFB SM first!

Join couple of classic ops EV/KP. You will be way overgeared there and there will be little challenge, but you can get a feel for cooperating with larger group and learn the style of mechanics you can expect from fights. Always state clearly you are there first time and people will generally help out. Then you can go L55 ops same as here. I don't have sentinel myself but people tend to think combat performs better now then watchman but that's personal preference I guess.

And best of all oin a guild that does a lot of different tier of ops has voice comms - that's easiest way to learn operations.

hello, thank you as well for answering!

I don't think voice chat is a good idea, I'm not a native english speaker so that might make matters worse! I'm going to follow your other advice tough, going to start with SM first later this week! Another question comes to mind, how long does an operation take? I usually have about 2/3 hours time per day to play swtor, so I am very carefull with fps/operations to make sure I don't have to quit in the middle of a battle or something, altough dps are easy to find:)

Edited by Marvoussh

All operations are 2-3hour things unless they turn into wipe fests. Classic ops can nowadays be finished under 30 minutes due to everyone being massively overpowered.

Voice comms are usful even if you just listen in to instruction. It is very hard to type explanations. I run SM ops in our guild for the new players and I can explain in chat, but I prefer not to as it drags it for a long time and everyone gets bored.

Edited by AAAAzrael

You don't need 30% crit.... i'd say 22% is plenty. You want to focus on power as a watchman sent.

1. Get fully augmented.

2. Youtube youtube youtube.. You can learn so much from these videos/tutorials

3. pug some easier ops like EV/KP etc..

4. You'll prolly see some story mode TFB and S&V go up. Jump in one of those, and keep grinding your Ultimate comms!!

5. Look for a guild who's looking to try you out.

Good luck!

Like mentioned above: Your stats are wrong. On a sentinel you want 0 Critical Rating (roughly 19-20%), 100% accuracy, rest power+surge. Theres no need to gimp yourself.

If you are planning to pug operations, you will not have a good time. I'd say it's a waste of your time. Get a guild that suits your needs, thats the way to go.

When I was new to ops I found it a huge help to spend time watching videos on you tube of TFB and S and V first. Especially if you can find a run done by a guild who were talking through each fight for the benefit of their group.

As for teamspeak or other voice comms, it really is worth installing these on your computer so you can at least listen to instructions. In our guild we have several people who for various reasons either can't or would prefer not to speak but they can hear and reply in chat. It means a much easier time for your group leader. Some fights in both TFB and S and V need a lot of explaining.

I started doing ops as a sentinel watchman, I was nervous to start with but being a part of a good guild helps enormously and it really is good fun.

Its been a week since your first post so I imagine you have already taken the leap in there, hope its going well :)

I agree with all the above posts. Also if you can understand english that is all you need just type your questions if you are uncomfortable speaking. Also at the begining of the Op make sure to mention that its your first time. Noone will kick you for this. And if they do, you didnt want to run with them anyway. If you are on Harbinger, i can tell you Dynamite, renegade grey, shock and jawa. Are all very friendly guilds. Good luck to you,

Get voice, you don't have to talk, but you need to be able to hear instructions during the fight. Many times by the time someone typed what you need in chat, you would be dead or you would have killed someone else. If I am leading a raid I would take you on KP or EV any mode with chat or SM EC, but that is as far as I would take anyone with being able to hear instructions.

Like others have said you need to lose some crit, but you are more than geared for anything below NIM TfB or NIM S&V provided you know your rotation. That said since you are new to operations I would start with KP and EV and work your way up from there unless you find a good and patient group to run with.

find a guild if you are not already in one. It will be the fastest way to make progress, that is if you find the right one for you. Not all are the same, it isn't just about finding a guild willing to take you, it is about finding a guild that will meet your needs and is you are willing to join.