I quit.

NvrShoutNvr

I can see a small decline, but look at the population that played 8v8, especially on our server:

Guilds would form teams to compete, rather than que with regs. Just because there is now a 4v4 ranked section, you think those 8 who have undoubtedly formed that team specifically because they all want to play in a match against another, will suddenly abandon that que? The appeal for 8v8 ranked is not being tarnished by the 4v4, as the whole intrigue in those matches is high level competition. The people who say, "why form a team of 8 when you can just do 4v4 ranked" are the ones who actually don't regularly play 8v8 a majority of the time, so the actual ranked population of 8v8 wouldn't take much of a hit at all along with the 4v4 ranked satisfying a much larger scope of the community.

Zoo, I just wanted to clarify because it doesn't look like you fully understand from what you wrote here. But the Devs said there will be no more 8v8 ranked, they are taking it out of the game, so the 8v8 population will be gone as the option is being removed from the game. The people will still be here, most trying to set up 4v4 death matches, but 8v8 ranked is going the way of the dodo. I hope this helps clarify any misunderstandings.

P.S. that doesn't mean that the warzones are going to be gone, only that you wont be able to queue up for 8v8 ranked.

Edited by Reynaga

Zoo, I just wanted to clarify because it doesn't look like you fully understand from what you wrote here. But the Devs said there will be no more 8v8 ranked, they are taking it out of the game, so the 8v8 population will be gone as the option is being removed from the game. The people will still be here, most trying to set up 4v4 death matches, but 8v8 ranked is going the way of the dodo. I hope this helps clarify any misunderstandings.

P.S. that doesn't mean that the warzones are going to be gone, only that you wont be able to queue up for 8v8 ranked.

Right, the whole post was to argue in favor of keeping 8v8 ranked WZs, not actually to portray what exactly is going to happen once 2.4 drops.

It was a response to Dash's post regarding how ranked 8v8 would have become an inactive queue entirely if it existed in 2.4, arguing that it would be just as active as it has been if it were still in place.

Edited by ZooMzy

in that case I agree with you, I think people would still queue for it. Honestly I thing the SAME people that queue now would queue for it still, and after 4v4 played out for a while maybe more people would want to try 8v8 for objectives instead of just mindlessly killing. But as someone else posted somewhere, they took out an unfinished idea to add in a bad idea. Edited by Reynaga

There is no way that 8v8 would be as active with 4v4 introduced. Sorry but I disagree 4v4 would certainly hurt 8v8 games if your saying that you think it wouldn't I disagree 100%. 4v4 you could do every night with no trouble 8v8 you would have to plan or use whoever is online at the time. For true teams of 8v8 this would affect it , people would be quick not to wait if they didn't have 8 and just hop in 4's or if you had 3 pick up someone you know to be a good player and jump into 4v4.

8v8 was and still is for the most part only being done a few nights a week and even on those days teams struggle to get 8 people and it's most often just who is online not 8 people that were pre determined to be a teamrepresenting a guild such as during hte time of 2.0 when ASB had a mostly set team and grim had a set group.

Sunday we had 8 at 7:00 ready to go by 7:30 we lost one picked up someone else I believe we didn't get our first game util about 8:45 and the second game around 9:30. If 4v4 was around we would have just jumped into that until another guild said they had 8 ready to go and then we would form based on who was online if we had the right make up to do so. So in short 8v8 would be ghost or at the very least 50% worse than it is now, this would in turn make people less likely to wait for it to happen and jump into 4's.

Bigger ranked community's I doubt would be impacted as much as they have the pool of players for it. The change makes being able to do ranked every night.

If 4v4 takes groups out of the pug queue that will probably help 8v8 in the long run.

In the short run they have opened up the "4 Man Comp Balance Pandora's Box".

Small team PvP exposes imbalances which are inherent to MMOs where diversity is desired.

tl;dr A few weeks after release 1 comp will dominate 4v4

There is no way that 8v8 would be as active with 4v4 introduced. Sorry but I disagree 4v4 would certainly hurt 8v8 games if your saying that you think it wouldn't I disagree 100%. 4v4 you could do every night with no trouble 8v8 you would have to plan or use whoever is online at the time. For true teams of 8v8 this would affect it , people would be quick not to wait if they didn't have 8 and just hop in 4's or if you had 3 pick up someone you know to be a good player and jump into 4v4.

Like you said, 8v8 takes planning and forming teams to actively use that queue. The activity is then completely disconnected from ranked 4v4s, considering that those would clearly be the matches people would rely on if they could not form 8 people to compete. Plan for 8v8 falls through? Guess what, you have a 4v4 ranked queue to use in its place, rather than before where you would have to run regs instead.

The only people who would stop using the 8v8 ranked queue would be the kickballers, and even then, a good amount of them would probably still be interested in trying to form groups of 8 to battle in the 8v8 ranked WZs because it is a different set of game modes altogether. So in terms of an actual dent in population, using this server as an example, the impact on ranked 8v8 in activity would be small to almost no existant. Simply because guilds would still use it as a queue to have actual guild battles, even if they can go into the 4v4 ranked battles as well.

8v8 was and still is for the most part only being done a few nights a week and even on those days teams struggle to get 8 people and it's most often just who is online not 8 people that were pre determined to be a teamrepresenting a guild such as during hte time of 2.0 when ASB had a mostly set team and grim had a set group.

Sunday we had 8 at 7:00 ready to go by 7:30 we lost one picked up someone else I believe we didn't get our first game util about 8:45 and the second game around 9:30. If 4v4 was around we would have just jumped into that until another guild said they had 8 ready to go and then we would form based on who was online if we had the right make up to do so. So in short 8v8 would be ghost or at the very least 50% worse than it is now, this would in turn make people less likely to wait for it to happen and jump into 4's.

You just basically illustrated the point I am making, the bolded part being the actual sentence that highlights it. Activity in 8v8 would not decline because it will still take the same amount of effort to form teams for, and at the same time, it provides an alternative to the battle of defensive CDs that is 4v4 ranked. People want variety, and the ranked 4v4 queue would only add in another option.

Think of it in PvE perspective: Scum and Villiany is currently the newest operation in the game, where people that run it are looking to clear content at the highest level and since it is new/somewhat fresh, people are going to be in that instance more than any other operation. Sure, the other operations are going to see less activity, but does that mean the devs should completely remove everything and only keep Scum and Villiany?

Activity may drop slightly, I'll concede there. But to say 50% is a stretch, simply because it is already a ghost queue and the success of ranked 8v8 isn't defined by activity. It's defined by the battle between two teams of 8, playing against each other at the highest level of competition.

Bigger ranked community's I doubt would be impacted as much as they have the pool of players for it. The change makes being able to do ranked every night.

Which is again, why I support having both. But having only one is going to fail in the end:

Only Ranked 8v8: You can see the failures I hope.

Only Ranked 4v4: One game mode, only four players, simplistic and repetitive gameplay will get old really fast. Not to mention that many players will look for a bigger challenge, since 8v8 battles between guilds are better guild match ups than 4v4s. Failure will come in the long run of things, due to it's repetitive and actual lack of content while removing another queue with it.

Edited by ZooMzy

I'm just saying 8's wouldn't happen as much especially here some servers it would stay mostly the same like Pot5 and Bastion. The problem with Ranked is there is no incentive for it. The higher ranked teams should have upgraded stats and looks over the standard because it takes more effort to play 8's at a high level than 4's or farming coms.

If they did that and kept 8's I think it would keep it's draw as those wanting the top tier of gear would still play them.

Most of us have been full conquerors for some time now I maybe need an enhancement , mod or 2 and that is with taking a lot of time off lately. 3 logins in a month.

I'm just saying 8's wouldn't happen as much especially here some servers it would stay mostly the same like Pot5 and Bastion. The problem with Ranked is there is no incentive for it. The higher ranked teams should have upgraded stats and looks over the standard because it takes more effort to play 8's at a high level than 4's or farming coms.

If they did that and kept 8's I think it would keep it's draw as those wanting the top tier of gear would still play them.

Most of us have been full conquerors for some time now I maybe need an enhancement , mod or 2 and that is with taking a lot of time off lately. 3 logins in a month.

The only incentive is rating from game mechanics, and then just the actual fun of competing against another team of coordinated 8 to see who can win. Activity will not fluctuate, as the 8v8 ranked was indirectly designed to be for people to put forth effort into to play those matches. Instead of welcoming everyone like they are doing with 4v4 deathmatches, the 8v8 ranked queue was always meant for the people that worked to play in there.

So based on the population that played it, activity shouldn't idealistically take a single casualty, as like you said: most players don't play for comms. They play for the game mode, and they put forth effort into actually using that queue. Another queue that hands out ranked comms and plays a deathmatch game mode of 4 isn't going to change the desire for people to queue for 8v8, since they would clearly love the option to run both.

Imo, both would create a system like so:

4v4 ranked: Get your Conq. gear and get introduced to coordinated team play.

8v8 ranked: Highest level of competition, playing more for fun and rating than actual comms.