@damsyl, and any other...

galaxivurse

....scoundrel who's been looking for a little guidance on sawbones.

I've found this guide to be helpful: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=56339 (scoundrel healing 101; sticky guide on class forum). As far as I can tell, its up to date although you might want to read through the last few pages of comments or so.

Her (his?) stat guide is not comprehensive but gets you pointed in the right direction. This is where I got the idea to drop crit (which I did w/my partisan's more or less) and it worked very well for me. Get 72% surge; alacrity is far down the list of things that are important (unless of course there are fundamental changes in 2.4 that come about from the loads of forum qq :rolleyes:). Alacrity is not worth prioritizing, imo, since approx 90%ish of your heals come from your HoT's and EmP's. This has been parsed but I can't remember where I saw it.

Its been a while since I've read the whole thing so I don't know if she mentions this but here's another helpful BiS tip. Pick up the 2 piece pve set bonus. You lose some expertise (which translates to like -1% to overall healing -- meh) but the armoring has better stats and this makes up for it. Aaaand, you can't beat the 15% to your AoE.

As for other gear stuff (e.g., matrix cube, etc.) I'm sure you already know so I'll save us both time.