The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Greatest Military Tactician - THE LIST

wuzzuliki

GREATEST MILITARY TACTICIAN

Inspired by Beniboybling, I have decided to begin a thread to order the Greatest Military Tacticians within the Star Wars Universe.

As with the other lists, this will be ordered in two separate 10 slot lists. ONE for Ground tactician, and ONE for Space tactician.

Before I begin I would like to go over some rules, mainly to stop the list from turning into a slugfest.

- This is NOT a list about combat prowess. If you want a list which covers the power of Sith, Jedi and Non-Force Users in combat, see one of the other lists which I will link below. The discussion in this thread is about two things :-

- Military Exploits - This includes the battles fought in during the Tactician's lifetime. The commander does NOT have to have survived the battle, but he must have had some contribution to the leadership of the battle in question. So for example, if someone nominated Kilran his exploits at the Sacking of Coruscant could be mentioned.

- Special Tactics or Use of Tech - This includes any special tactics used that DIRECTLY influenced the outcome of key battles in the galaxy. So for example, Revan's activation of the Mass Shadow Generator over Malachor V directly influenced the Great Last Battle.

- The Tactician in question DOES NOT have to be Military - as long as they commanded a significant force in a key battle, they can be counted. So Jedi, Sith ,etc are allowed.

- Technological Advancements during the eras count for nothing. So claiming that Thrawn would beat Boonta the Hutt due to technology is not a valid argument. The real discussion would be their USE of technology. By using what they had, did they cause a larger impact on the universe than a newer, better equipped Tactician?

Thank you for taking the time to read the rules. They are necessary to avoid silly arguments.

Here are the lists :-

SPACE

1. Thrawn

2. Wedge Antilles

3. Admiral Ackbar

GROUND

So lets have your nominations for the number 1 spot!

Note :- As mentioned earlier, here are the links to the other lists which are fantastically made and offer much in terms of discussion about combat in Star Wars if you prefer a specific list.

The REAL Most Powerful Sith - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=662020

The REAL Most Powerful Jedi - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=656494

The REAL Most Powerful Force Users - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=651297

The GREATEST Non-Force Users! - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=654144

Edited by wuzzuliki

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Revan for #1. Obviously... Jk, jk. I'd definitely nominate Thrawn for #1, who needs no explanation. And I doubt anyone with half a brain would disagree. Hopefully.

NO.

NO.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

C3-P0. His incredible knowledge of the odds gives him what it takes!

Nah, but seriously, Revan's going to be on this list. He knows how to subtly strike fear into the enemies hearts, and he's not bad in ground battles and space battles, and his strategies for galactic Domination are flawless. I mean, come on, what other Military commander would have destroyed Telos, as a warning for the Jedi that there is No turning back?

(Yes, for all those who don't know, that's why it was destroyed, it was to be the Jedi's retreat is Dantooine was ever lost)

If this is going the way I think it is, Thrawn will end up at Number 1.

Does anyone want to argue why he should be there, such as some of his exploits, etc.

Read the Thrawn Trilogy, or go to wookiepedia and look up Thrawn. His list is LONG and distinguished and I couldn't possibly list them all.

If this is going the way I think it is, Thrawn will end up at Number 1.

Does anyone want to argue why he should be there, such as some of his exploits, etc.

Only one thing is necessary: he was able to see how a species would think based upon the artwork of that species.

Well lets take a look at Wookiee shall we:

While a master of military tactics, Thrawn was more than an adept commander. His use of knowledge and intelligence in conjunction with stunning tactics proved Thrawn to be one of the galaxy's most remarkable military commanders...

...The precise application of intelligence allowed Thrawn to win countless victories over numerically superior forces. Thrawn believed that one could understand the psychological and tactical limitations of one's adversaries through the examination of their art, and thus exploit their weaknesses. This conviction was often proven correct since his vast knowledge and obsession with the analytical study of art resulted in almost infallible strategic victories over nearly every opponent Thrawn engaged...

...An attention to small details also played a major role in Thrawn's technique. By scouring large collections of data and intelligence, Thrawn was able to piece together small details that alone were merely trivial, but together formed a powerful variable. Additionally, his collection of information and near-encyclopedic knowledge of topics gave Thrawn an eerie aura of omniscience...

...Finally, Thrawn laid out complex campaigns in advance of his attacks. By following a carefully planned campaign, Thrawn was able to keep his enemies guessing. In the time it took his enemies to understand one phase of his plan, Thrawn had already moved on to the next. In this, Thrawn was always a step ahead of his foes...

...Thrawn perished in the Battle of Bilbringi at the hand of Rukh, his Noghri bodyguard, who had recently learned that the Empire had betrayed his people. Though Thrawn was dead, he would be remembered as the genius tactician, consummate strategist, and Imperial leader who nearly brought down the New Republic.

The fact that he advanced to the top of a xenophobic regime and took on the New Republic with only a fleet is a testament to his abilities alone. Definitely Thrawn for No #1. Easily the greatest strategist ever.

Okay I'll place Thrawn first.

And I have read the Thrawn trilogy, just wanted some sound arguments to be made for his favour. If I just put him there without asking it wouldn't be a community list ^-^

No worries bro. I'd like to Vote Admiral Ackbar for #2, and probably Carlist Reeikan for #3.

First of all, grats on the thread. The color brigade likes to pick and choose their excerpts, for they prefer to gratify their own threads. Having said that, you may be lucky with a few sincere replies.

My suggestion for this list would be General Lord Hoth.

Edited by UncleOst

First of all, grats on the thread. The color brigade likes to pick and choose their excerpts, for they prefer to gratify their own threads. Having said that, you may be lucky with a few sincere replies.

LORD HOTH?! You mean the guy who couldn't let go of his anger and lead his men into a meat grinder for what a year? Then fool hardly lead even more troops[though he asked for volunteers] into the thought bomb? No, he's not a tactician, not by a long shot. Obi-wan Kenobi is a better tactician than Lord Hoth.

Nope, the color brigade just doesn't like trolls I'm afraid.

And I second Talon's response.

Only one thing is necessary: he was able to see how a species would think based upon the artwork of that species.

Oh.. What a totally viable link to superiority!

Therefor within this regard, if I listen to metal, I'll dominate in pvp!

Edited by UncleOst

LORD HOTH?! You mean the guy who couldn't let go of his anger and lead his men into a meat grinder for what a year? Then fool hardly lead even more troops[though he asked for volunteers] into the thought bomb? No, he's not a tactician, not by a long shot. Obi-wan Kenobi is a better tactician than Lord Hoth.

...and what? Let his opponents win? There was an internal pain bestowed through the force upon Hoth, every time a fellow jedi was defeated. His skills were strong enough to fight on the "frontlines" outnumbered and with limited resources. His sacrifices for the republic were so grand, that they named the planet after him. Your response reveals your true nature...let your anger grow my son..

Bringing in Obi-brah into this, does nothing for your retort. Obi is very good, but that is not the argument in place for Hoth on this list.

Edited by UncleOst

The funny thing is, it worked. And well.

That's totally subjective, and in essence obscure. That was Thrawns pathway for meditation. His intelligence could have stewed while he watched a holo-dancer. Your subscriptions to this premise are beyond hilarious.

Edited by UncleOst

Oh.. What a totally viable link to superiority!

Therefor within this regard, if I listen to metal, I'll dominate in pvp!

You realize he destroyed a New Republic attack group with a single ship by studying the art of the opposing tactician?

Also, as an aside. I'm slightly color-blind to dark colors so, while I appreciate you using colored text, perhaps something a bit brighter next time?