Let us kill our own faction and all the NPCs!

Lugatti

The only one I know of is Neverwinter Nights.

DAoC had two dread servers at launch. But the popularity tumbled and they were consolidated early on.. and the remaining one was never popular from then on. Why? Because dread servers quickly become dominated by a few large guilds. And if ever there was a mainstream MMO that could have supported a dread rule set along side PvE-only and RvR rule sets... it was DAoC.

The core problem with dread servers is you are either in one of the large guilds or you are kibble for the large guilds. Same thing happened on the Darktide dread for AC. Though AC always had an open PvP following (and you could convert to Pker on the non-dread servers and play with other Pkers)..it still was not popular with the player base.

Edited by Andryah

DAoC had two dread servers at launch. But the popularity tumbled and they were consolidated early on.. and the remaining one was never popular from then on. Why? Because dread servers quickly become dominated by a few large guilds. And if ever there was a mainstream MMO that could have supported a dread rule set along side PvE-only and RvR rule sets... it was DAoC.

The core problem with dread servers is you are either in one of the large guilds or you are kibble for the large guilds. Same thing happened on the Darktide dread for AC. Though AC always had an open PvP following (and you could convert to Pker on the non-dread servers and play with other Pkers)..it still was not popular with the player base.

I suspect specialized hardcore/nightmare/perma-death/whatever servers rarely do well. Yet their adherents seem to think they are the bee's knees.

I suspect specialized hardcore/nightmare/perma-death/whatever servers rarely do well. Yet their adherents seem to think they are the bee's knees.

Pretty much.

They are a niche within niches. The MMO version of movie Gangs of New York. :)

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.