[Spoilers] So... Jedi Knight Act 1

Pietrastor

So I just finished Act 1 of Jedi Knight.

tl;dr version first: :confused::tran_eek::csw_jabbapet::mon_mad:

Longer version: how many MacGuffin weapons of the week can one chapter have? Seriously, is Knight's Chapter 1 compiled from rejected Trooper/Agent ideas? I understand that each character has to "Pokemon" something for 4 planets featured in Act 1, but at least with Tulak Hord artifacts, anti-Empire conspirators, Havoc Squad defectors or sick Jedi Masters there was cohesion in the general idea what you would be "Pokemoning" and why. Here we have 4 unrelated superweapon military projects which technology will be used in 1 Desolator... somehow. What have the Power Guards or a fancy sniper rifle to do with device that's suppoused to burn planet atmosphere I have no idea whatsoever. It's like a compilation of bunch of different ideas that don't mesh together, just feels bit... lazy.

Started Act 2 and it already seems more interesting and better explained but the Act 1, oh my. So far my least favourite Act 1 yet. Plus it barely even felt like a Jedi story. I'm far from wanting some archetype Jedi sunday adventure, but the problem's that Darth Angral and his entire plan may as well have been about a frustrated Imperial accountant who got a memo on the location of these Republic research projects.

Well, the Power Guards appear as defenders on the desolator... And then never appear anywhere else, and are pretty much just as easy to defeat as any other kited out tech or armor user in the verse.

But the sniper thing was actually converted into a payload delivery method to hit planets long distance with all the other effects, like the ion storm that locked down Coruscant and the drilling into the planet core to unleash a firestorm and break the whole world apart.

So really it's only the power guards that don't really get used. And all the other weapons I felt like they actually did a good job keeping me playing because of the individual threat they all represented. Then put them together and you have something that I think resulted in one of the more impressive cutscenes I've seen in the game.

And even if the power guard thing didn't really fit with the rest of the chapter story, I felt pretty bad for Galen.

I'm not really sure what other story you could WANT for a Jedi Knight. They're not Jedi Consulars, or diplomats, they hit threats with lightsabers until threats cease to be dangerous. And to my recollection the original Star Wars trilogy was all about a Knight in training taking out the same world destroying weapon... Twice. Talk about repetition.

Edited by Bytemite