Regarding Gunslinger Mechanics

Jurugu

Fellow Gunslinger Theorycrafters,

I am (still?) in the process of trying to piece a little something together that one day - and that day may never come - will allow me to simulate the Gunslinger Sharpshooter rotation in a way good enough to deduce the optimal (dummy) rotation and gearing from it. The first step in such an ambitious project of course is trying to understand the mechanics.

Now I already found with the help of KeyboardNinja very useful threads detailing the formulas for combat statistics as well as formulas for ability damage. I still have open questions, though:

1) How is the to-hit mechanic resolved with the dual wielding sharpshooter. As an example let's look at Aimed Shot. The tooltip clearly states that both blasters are used, and using the linked formulas adding the damage of both blasters results exactly in what my tooltip displays. However, in actual resolution, how to the differing accuracy percentages of both weapons come into play, seeing that I always see only ONE number popping up when using the ability? Are both hands rolled individualy for hit, the damage of those that hit summed up and only the result displayed as a floating number, or is the mechanic different to that?

2) What are the values for AmountModifierPercent, Coefficient and StandardHealthPercent for Flurry of Bolts? Torhead was spot on with all other shots, but the numbers it had for Flurry of Bolts were completely off. Now I could go through the arduous process of recording the tooltip values for ten different sets of power (and maybe using different barrels as well) but if someone else has gone through that already, I'd prefer to invest my time into other aspects of this project.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jurugu

1) How is the to-hit mechanic resolved with the dual wielding sharpshooter. As an example let's look at Aimed Shot. The tooltip clearly states that both blasters are used, and using the linked formulas adding the damage of both blasters results exactly in what my tooltip displays. However, in actual resolution, how to the differing accuracy percentages of both weapons come into play, seeing that I always see only ONE number popping up when using the ability? Are both hands rolled individualy for hit, the damage of those that hit summed up and only the result displayed as a floating number, or is the mechanic different to that?

Both hands are rolled individually. The off-hand is rolled with a 23% accuracy penalty and a 70% damage penalty. Thus, with 100% m/r accuracy, your off-hand has a 77% chance to hit. Note that the tooltips don't take accuracy into account (even OH accuracy), nor do they separate out the off-hand hit, which means that the tooltip numbers are somewhat higher than the flytext you will see.

2) What are the values for AmountModifierPercent, Coefficient and StandardHealthPercent for Flurry of Bolts? Torhead was spot on with all other shots, but the numbers it had for Flurry of Bolts were completely off. Now I could go through the arduous process of recording the tooltip values for ten different sets of power (and maybe using different barrels as well) but if someone else has gone through that already, I'd prefer to invest my time into other aspects of this project.

So, it *should* be:

0.5 * MH + 0.5 * BonusDmg + 0.3 * OH

Most basic attacks do not respect the standard health percent.

Doesn't that mean that GS are inherently at a disadvantage vs. snipers who only need to "roll to hit" once per ability? or am i missing something?

(not a QQ - i actually have a much higher level sniper than my GS... just genuinely curious)

I believe the off-hand actually has a 33% chance to miss, unless that was changed in 2.0.

Source: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-953.html#III.1

(look for "accuracy" in the *Stats* section)

Doesn't that mean that GS are inherently at a disadvantage vs. snipers who only need to "roll to hit" once per ability? or am i missing something?

(not a QQ - i actually have a much higher level sniper than my GS... just genuinely curious)

I would expect there to normally be a slight (but deliberate) disadvantage for Gunslingers, because we get a significantly larger damage boost from using Illegal Mods/Target Acquired than Snipers - specifically from the 30% accuracy increase.

Edited by greg_biochem

I would expect there to normally be a slight (but deliberate) disadvantage for Gunslingers, because we get a significantly larger damage boost from using Illegal Mods/Target Acquired than Snipers - specifically from the 30% accuracy increase.

Actually, Gunslingers are just straight-up advantaged by Illegal Mods. :-)

Math time! The off-hand has a 67% base hit chance (as opposed to the 90% base hit chance of the main hand. Thus, we have 77% hit chance (once statted accuracy is included) and a 70% damage penalty, for a total damage level (as a function of the main hand) of 23.1%. Now, a sniper rifle has a damage level of 679-830 (mean = 754.5), while a blaster pistol has a damage level of 440-817 (mean = 628.5) (at the Underworld Tier). Thus, a sniper rifle does 20.05% more damage than a blaster pistol.

Thus, a gunslinger is actually slightly advantaged over a sniper in terms of white damage contribution from MH + OH. Additionally, they are slightly advantaged in terms of the contribution of Illegal Mods. The disparity is so marginal though that it's not worth fussing about.

It's worth noting that, with the exception of Illegal Mods, Mercs are similarly advantaged over Commandos.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Actually, Gunslingers are just straight-up advantaged by Illegal Mods. :-)

Math time! The off-hand has a 67% base hit chance (as opposed to the 90% base hit chance of the main hand. Thus, we have 77% hit chance (once statted accuracy is included) and a 70% damage penalty, for a total damage level (as a function of the main hand) of 23.1%. Now, a sniper rifle has a damage level of 679-830 (mean = 754.5), while a blaster pistol has a damage level of 440-817 (mean = 628.5) (at the Underworld Tier). Thus, a sniper rifle does 20.05% more damage than a blaster pistol.

Do you have experimental data showing the tooltip statement of 57% offhand accuracy to be incorrect? This would make much more sense, giving 20.1% of MH damage, almost identical to the sniper rifle damage advantage.