The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Datacube Collection- Cost in cartel versus 'Bound' & plain loot .

Haieshei

I have spent lordy knows how much real Cash $£€ on 'Packs' from the cartel market in recent months, the last few were solely to get the last datacube, ...

Assuming that something one had spent such time and effort and hard earned cash on would give a good reward or mission...

I received the 'Revered Chroniclers armor set' - which is to be honest not the best looking kit, ..but the most staggering thing about this set is that it is Bound to the player and not only that but all players of all classes get exactly the same set!!

What is it you expect?? - the entirety of SWTOR players to wear this armour???

because that is all its good for, .. cant swap it , can send to alt, (although alt's get it by collections, so they wear the uniform too) ..... what use is it? .. what jedi or trooper will wear this? ... I honestly feel scammed , by an overpriced Cartel who killed the free trade of the GTN,

Really, I spent a LOT of money and was bitterly disappointed at the lack of thought and inspiration that went into the final loot from this sherade ...

It seems EA or whomever devised this knew it would sell packs very well. it did.. now i have armour that is useless to me on 4 players.

please sort this out. ... more and more it appears the once lorded GTN is being replaced by your own Cartel . there are no Hutts are there? .. the excitement of crafting crystals, space ship kit, droid gear etc has all been killed by the Cartel.

the Datacube issue really did put a nail in it for me and upset my boy, who had been anticipating the reward for some days,

hope this can be sorted,

Azzrael, Sage, Red Eclipse, L39.

I do appreciate the game - just not the over monetizing of it.

I do agree with you on a good portion of what your saying. I would first however, like to inquire as to why you didn't just purchase the Datacubes directly off the gtn? I completed all 8 on my main just to see the cutscenes and to get the set (because I am a rabid collector of stuff..) without getting any from packs. The cubes were such a common drop in the packs that they poured onto the gtn and were selling on my server in the range of 30k - 70k each depending on which specific one.

Having said that, I think it is painfully obvious that the whole "Encrypted Datacubes" thing was handled extremely badly.

1.) There was such a understandable outrage felt en masse towards them throwing items into the packs that "unlocked" missions that each had a cutscene. While yes each individual one was a very short cutscene, it was still Story/Mission content being sold exclusively in cartel packs, and in a crumbled mess at that. If people hadn't spoken out quickly and decisively as they did, I dread to think what could have come next if they had pulled it off.

2.)The whole thing was so completely different than *anything* done through the cartel market previously, that for people who didn't read or look into it, the lack of information provided in-game on the whole thing caused a LOT of unneeded confusion. I personally know of several people seeing the "Revered Chroniclers" set listed in the armor sets of the final datacube pack, and then getting extremely frustrated because after dumping a ton of CC's and/or credits into packs, they still hadn't gotten a single piece of the set.... to which I had to sadly inform them of how you actually acquire it. I even responded to someone who was very upset about that on the forums.

Yes, it DID say in the "Details" of the collections entry that it actually comes from completing the set of all eight "Encrypted Datacubes", but for someone just looking at the armor set pictures or switching it over to preview the actual pieces, I can easily understand how they might have completely missed that and become very very upset after wasting a lot of funds trying for it. Listing it along with all the armor sets that you get from the pack "normally" was asking for trouble.

3.) I think the only positive thing to really come about from it, was that it caused such an undeniable outrage in a large enough portion of the subs that BW stated they would not be doing something like it again. The whole thing did leave a bad taste for a lot of people though...

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the cartel market as a whole. I think the market itself, and a good portion of what they do with it is handled well, and certainly better than it *could* be, since badly handled cash shops can cause the death of a game quicker than some people might realize. At the same time, I think they could improve some aspects of it dramatically, and manage the development of new cm releases alongside actual game play content significantly better than they currently are. Shoveling different colored skins of armor, weapons, mounts, and pets alongside "lore outfits" out in Lotto packs at a staggering pace so that hopefully, people will burn through a ton of $$$ in cc's trying to get the one or two things in each pack they want.....

Really would be a whole lot better if they just took the time with each "wave" of CM releases to have more individually unique items of a higher design quality. Oh well... C'est la vie.