The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Darth Vader, Evil Sith or Rebel Hero?

Jtrop

First off, I would like to say that I could be missing scenes. I need you guys to fill me in if I am wrong.

Looking back it seemed to me that Darth Vader killed more Imperials than rebels. The war was started and the Imperials are lead by The Emperor, not Darth Vader. We first see him choking a rebel officer as a threat, but DV does not kill the officer. Later on, he chokes and kills at least 2 of his own officers(and if they are talking to DV they would have to be high ranks.) . If you look at the destruction of Alderaan, easily the worst crime of the empire, the idea was started by the Emperor, the command was given by Grand Moff Tarkin, and the weapon was fired by various technicians/pilots. All DV did was make the princess watch. Finally in ROTJ, DV watches as the hero of the rebels being kill and not only does DV save the rebel he kills the Imperial (his side) leader. My argument is only for Epi. IV-VI or while DV is in the suit, because in episode III after Anakin gets the title "Darth Vader" he invades the Jedi temple (but that is against the republic not the rebels).

I guess you could look at this as a way of saying there is good in everyone or redemption. I would like to hear your opinion, what does this mean, is DV a rebel hero, or did I miss something.

First off, I would like to say that I could be missing scenes. I need you guys to fill me in if I am wrong.

Looking back it seemed to me that Darth Vader killed more Imperials than rebels. The war was started and the Imperials are lead by The Emperor, not Darth Vader. We first see him choking a rebel officer as a threat, but DV does not kill the officer. Later on, he chokes and kills at least 2 of his own officers(and if they are talking to DV they would have to be high ranks.) . If you look at the destruction of Alderaan, easily the worst crime of the empire, the idea was started by the Emperor, the command was given by Grand Moff Tarkin, and the weapon was fired by various technicians/pilots. All DV did was make the princess watch. Finally in ROTJ, DV watches as the hero of the rebels being kill and not only does DV save the rebel he kills the Imperial (his side) leader. My argument is only for Epi. IV-VI or while DV is in the suit, because in episode III after Anakin gets the title "Darth Vader" he invades the Jedi temple (but that is against the republic not the rebels).

I guess you could look at this as a way of saying there is good in everyone or redemption. I would like to hear your opinion, what does this mean, is DV a rebel hero, or did I miss something.

He's a leader and is thus responsible for the actions of those under his command. Remember in episode V when he orders the attack on Hoth in which we presume hundreds or even thousands die? And we know he joined the assault and that he was a powerful Sith so who's to say he didn't kill a hundred rebels with his bare hands while Han and Leia ran for the Falcon?

The thing is often in the movies he is surrounded by other Imperials and they repeatedly fail in his orders to kill rebels so he kills them.

But as it is a movie we don't get the in between time. Essentially, he could have a cargo hold of captured rebels that he practices force-choke on.

Unless you look at EU material (which paints him as a much bloodier Sith) you just don't know.

Edited by StarSquirrel

hence y it is called Return of the JEDI the whole story ark is of vaders rise ep 1-3 and redemption 4-6

I never realized that. The Jedi that returns is Anakin. My mind is blown.

Also I am just referencing what is on screen. Hoth is a good example of him being bad.

I never realized that. The Jedi that returns is Anakin. My mind is blown.

Also I am just referencing what is on screen. Hoth is a good example of him being bad.

Well we kinda get the sense he's bad from all the choking, threats, implied atrocities, the black suit/mask/cape getup and evil music so Lucas must never have felt the need to have him killing armies of rebels to establish his character as evil.

So, yeah... it was more because there was no need for it than anything else.

Looking back it seemed to me that Darth Vader killed more Imperials than rebels. The war was started and the Imperials are lead by The Emperor, not Darth Vader. We first see him choking a rebel officer as a threat, but DV does not kill the officer. Later on, he chokes and kills at least 2 of his own officers(and if they are talking to DV they would have to be high ranks.) .

Outside the films he kills a lot of rebels, he leads assualts on them, kills them if they get too close, and plans the war against them. Having said that, he does also kill a lot of Imperials, just nowhere near as many as he kills rebels.

If you look at the destruction of Alderaan, easily the worst crime of the empire, the idea was started by the Emperor, the command was given by Grand Moff Tarkin, and the weapon was fired by various technicians/pilots. All DV did was make the princess watch. Finally in ROTJ, DV watches as the hero of the rebels being kill and not only does DV save the rebel he kills the Imperial (his side) leader.

You are being a bit too literal here, he leads troops into battle, therefore any deaths this causes are on his hands, he doesn't have to literaly cut down the rebels personally. In this case, all the troops on Leia's ship are his, the pilots he shoots down are his, the troops on Hoth are his, as are the Rebels killed on Endor. Not to mention all the rebels he kills between films.