The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star wars history

ggwpthisguyiscoo

I figured this was the best place to ask this question. I wanted to know if there is a book or collection of books that describe the entire history of the universe, from the beginning of time to post ep 6. Similar I suppose to The Silmarillion. Help is appreciated. Edited by ggwpthisguyiscoo

There are several "Guide" books that give brief overviews on different aspects of Star Wars lore, ie Planets, Warfare, Droids, Jedi and Sith. To get the more comprehensive info about every thing that has happened in Star Wars history, from Pre-Republic to Post-Galactic Alliance, you gotta read the books (there are A LOT of them). Also, wookiepedia is a great source for quick info. Unfortunatley no Silmarillion type book for Star Wars, too much history.

The closest things to what you are looking for are two of the Essential Guides that JSwanee mentioned.

The New Essential Chronology is good and relatively inclusive, but is aging somewhat (it came out almost ten years ago). It covers everything from the Rakata to the Dark Nest crisis. There is no information on the SWTOR time period.

The Essential Atlas is even better, but it is not primarily a history guide and therefore suffers from gaps. With that said, there is an extensive section of historical maps with commentary. The atlas also does not cover the SWTOR time period, but as it was released during the development period for the game there is a vague reference to the resurrected Sith Empire and its war with the Republic. Virtually all of the locations in the game appear in the atlas, and those that do not appear in the maps show up in the Index (like Voss).

Both of these works are, it must be emphasized, bare-bones sketches of Star Wars history, and for more information on a given time period you will need to check the sources directly.

Edited by Euphrosyne

If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on books, games and other media to learn all there is to know like I've done over the years, the best thing you can do is go to Wookieepedia. It is everything Lucasfilms Holonet has but condensed into a well organized database. Anything you could hope to find out about Star Wars history, you'll find on Wookieepedia.

I figured this was the best place to ask this question. I wanted to know if there is a book or collection of books that describe the entire history of the universe, from the beginning of time to post ep 6. Similar I suppose to The Silmarillion. Help is appreciated.

I suggest following sourcebooks:-

• Star Wars: The Old Republic: Encyclopedia
  • Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
  • Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
  • Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Updated and Expanded)

You will learn a great deal about the history of lore of Star Wars mythos from these sources.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD